Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX 450h+ electric and petrol range

3 minutes ago, Addh said:

Malcolm, what was the lowest outside temperature you've had for charging/driving when getting this range and what type of roads/speeds. Have you had any seat/wheel heating on ? Seems like a big difference although I've only had 1 proper journey in these low temps to base it on.

Small sample from me too. Three frosty days where I have preheated the car plus a couple around the zero degrees mark. Travel about a mile to reach the A road for most of the journey, no dual carriageway, only a couple of roundabouts so steady speed with little acceleration or braking is the norm. Then reach the town to complete the last couple of miles. Two roundabouts, 3 sets of pedestrian lights, traffic generally moves quite well.

Heating is set to Auto, 20 degrees. Driver's heated seat on but quickly turned down to one bar; same for the heated steering wheel. Rear screen heating switched on as required. Pre-heating really helps I think and, of course, lovely to get into a defrosted, warm car.

Although it doesn't impact on my range experience, I should mention that in the last month, the car has decided it needed to bring in the ICE for a portion of the journey even though I had pre-selected EV mode (I don't use ECO mode). On another cold day, I deliberately used HV mode for the main A road section (around 10 miles) for various reasons. I haven't included these ICE usage in my overall experience.

1 hour ago, Addh said:

I did my first journey to work in this properly cold snap yesterday - about 6 miles urban and 12 miles on the motorway. In the summer I was getting about 45 miles of EV range so enough to get to work and back with a bit to spare, (keeping motorway speeds to below 70mph). When it started going cooler this dropped below 40 miles. Yesterday my EV range dropped to 0 with about 10 miles left to home so total EV was about 25 miles (in ECO mode) ! 

The overnight charge was 15.6kW which cost £5.30. The same distance on petrol at £1.60/litre and 40-45mpg would be £4.04-£4.54

Obviously affected by the cold battery as well as having heating on etc.. This means it is now cheaper to use petrol for the first time since having the car in June. Luckily (hopefully) in most of the UK we don't get too many properly cold days !

Hi Adam, I'm confused (easily done) by some of your figures. I thought that the main 18.1kW Battery didn't discharge itself below about 30%, ie approx 13kW, and this is the most that I have ever put into the car. My experience here is very limited because I don't have a smart meter so most of the time I don't know exactly how much electricity I'm putting in.

Also, if I want to travel 45 miles (simplifying the figures here), I could use a full Battery which I would calculate at 13kW x 0.33p/kW = £4.30. Or, I could put in one gallon of fuel (4.55ltrs) that would take me the same distance at 45mpg. 4.55 x £1.60/ltr = £7.28  Hence, still much cheaper to use electric at the moment.

2 hours ago, Vira said:

I am still expecting my 450h+ sometime next year. Howeve since winter weather is truly upon us these days, I was wondering what kind of EV only range the car is giving. Would be interesting to know owner's experience.

Noticeable drop off in EV range over the past week. Full charge in summer gave 46 miles with air con or 52 without. Now indicating 41 miles with and 47 without. Actual achievable distance depends on journey but a mix of local and motorway is giving c 35 miles. ICE certainly cuts in more readily. The joys of winter!

20 minutes ago, Harrier Man said:

Hi Adam, I'm confused (easily done) by some of your figures. I thought that the main 18.1kW battery didn't discharge itself below about 30%, ie approx 13kW, and this is the most that I have ever put into the car. My experience here is very limited because I don't have a smart meter so most of the time I don't know exactly how much electricity I'm putting in.

Also, if I want to travel 45 miles (simplifying the figures here), I could use a full battery which I would calculate at 13kW x 0.33p/kW = £4.30. Or, I could put in one gallon of fuel (4.55ltrs) that would take me the same distance at 45mpg. 4.55 x £1.60/ltr = £7.28  Hence, still much cheaper to use electric at the moment.

Ken, my figures were based on only getting 25 miles of EV range and how much petrol would be needed for the same distance.

According to my Wallbox app the average kW for a full charge is somewhere around 14.8kW. The EV range might drop to 0 at around 30% but I've noticed the Battery is sometimes used further (eg. when setting off at low speeds etc ) so charge level carries on reducing below that level. 

1 hour ago, Addh said:

Sorry - Malcolm, my figures were based on only getting 25 miles of EV range and how much petrol would be needed for the same distance.

According to my Wallbox app the average kW for a full charge is somewhere around 14.8kW. The EV range might drop to 0 at around 30% but I've noticed the battery is sometimes used further (eg. when setting off at low speeds etc ) so charge level carries on reducing below that level. 

4 hours ago, Addh said:

Yesterday my EV range dropped to 0 with about 10 miles left to home so total EV was about 25 miles (in ECO mode) ! 

Seems to be way too less even for this winter. I would have expected the range to drop by 15-20%; not by half. Do you think this might have been due to climate settings you had at the time?

2 hours ago, Addh said:

The EV range might drop to 0 at around 30% but I've noticed the battery is sometimes used further (eg. when setting off at low speeds etc ) so charge level carries on reducing below that level. 

EVs do have some hidden miles in them - perhaps a mechanism to save the life of Battery in the long run.

3 hours ago, Ken R said:

Full charge in summer gave 46 miles with air con or 52 without. Now indicating 41 miles with and 47 without. Actual achievable distance depends on journey but a mix of local and motorway is giving c 35 miles.

This is what I would have expected.

3 hours ago, Harrier Man said:

Three frosty days where I have preheated the car

I am told (in general, not just Lexus specific) that the key to eke out more miles during winter is to make the cabin toasty before starting the journey and while the car is still plugged into the charger. And while driving - just have the heated steering wheel and the heated seat on. 

7 minutes ago, Vira said:

Seems to be way too less even for this winter. I would have expected the range to drop by 15-20%; not by half. Do you think this might have been due to climate settings you had at the time?

Could be but still wouldn't have expected such a big drop. I need to do some more journeys to get a better feel for it. 

5 hours ago, Addh said:

Could be but still wouldn't have expected such a big drop. I need to do some more journeys to get a better feel for it. 

How long did you leave the car after charging it before using it? Apparently it's better to charge just before use particularly in colder ambient temperatures.

200 mile trip in ICE mode only yesterday, the vast majority with ACC set at 71mph along the A1 and A14 returned a surprisingly disappointing 38.7mpg 😟

Exact same trip a few weeks ago with similar road conditions returned 49.5mpg with 52mpg back in the height of the summer.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, RXtoNX said:

200 mile trip in ICE mode only yesterday, the vast majority with ACC set at 71mph along the A1 and A14 returned a surprisingly disappointing 38.7mpg 😟

Exact same trip a few weeks ago with similar road conditions returned 49.5mpg with 52mpg back in the height of the summer.

The temperature seems to be a big factor. I presume your summer journey was also in the NX?

1 hour ago, Spacewagon52 said:

The temperature seems to be a big factor. I presume your summer journey was also in the NX?

Yes of course. Just surprised how much the temperature impacted on a long journey. I was expecting an increase in consumption due to the low ambient temperature but was still hopeful of something in the low 40’s.

My previous RX used to manage 36-38 mpg for same journey in the summer months and 31-33 mpg during the winter months, so a 15% drop in consumption whereas the NX was a 20%+ drop

I would be interested in hearing what others manage in HV mode for a long journey at 70mph.

Seventh refuelling to date this week and by far my poorest mpg. No doubt a combination of the colder temperatures and long runs using the ICE have contributed but petrol consumption now at 59.38mpg but when the kWh consumed and cost converted to fuel the overall is 42.87mpg - 10 miles per gallon less than my previous poorest. A bit disappointing but still slightly better than I would have achieved in my previous NX300h.

28 minutes ago, Ken R said:

Seventh refuelling to date this week and by far my poorest mpg. No doubt a combination of the colder temperatures and long runs using the ICE have contributed but petrol consumption now at 59.38mpg but when the kWh consumed and cost converted to fuel the overall is 42.87mpg - 10 miles per gallon less than my previous poorest. A bit disappointing but still slightly better than I would have achieved in my previous NX300h.

You are so lucky Kenny.

My 1948 side valve Morris Minor with a split windscreen only gave 33 mpg.🤣🤣

• Haha 1

The EV range now markedly down along with the temperature!

Full charge tonight only showing 40.8 miles of range with air con and 48 without. That's over 10% down on summer figures and whilst the true achievable range in the summer months was pretty exact it's now well down. 13 miles of distance today consumed over 18 miles of range.😩

30 minutes ago, Ken R said:

Full charge tonight only showing 40.8 miles of range with air con and 48 without. That's over 10% down on summer figures and whilst the true achievable range in the summer months was pretty exact it's now well down. 13 miles of distance today consumed over 18 miles of range.😩

Although a pity, the loss consistent with other full EVs. I heard from a friend that his EV showed 250+ miles consistently through the summer but its down to 150 thereabouts now a days.

• Thanks 1

On 12/19/2022 at 10:10 PM, Ken R said:

Yeah, mine shows 37 with aircon and 41 without now... Think it ran out about 35 miles into my 41 mile journey after having it on radar cruise control set at 70...

On the way back the remaining 31 miles of HV range got me home with refuel showing at about 5 miles out...

A Tesla owning friend told me today that his range has been down markedly in the cold weather. No surprise there, nor that using the heating and air conditioning also reduced range. What did surprise me though was his observation that wet roads also reduced range noticeably; the heavier the surface water, the greater the impact.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links