Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is a dash cam necessary?

Jess Wilson

17 minutes ago, Jess Wilson said:

hi, i see everyone has a dash cam in their cars. is it necessary?

It depends on your attitude towards risk like most things. 

Most the time you wont need it, use it or even think about it. When you need it and you dont have, you'll want it. And for that peace of mind and relative cheap cost, I wouldn't have a car without it.

• Like 3

Cars with dash cams fitted seem to be involved in lots of incidents, if YouTube is anything to go by!! 🥺😁

That said, dash cams are a double edged sword, quite a few of those videos show drivers of such equipped cars behaving in a less than considerate way ...

Be aware that video footage can be used against you as easily as for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do most of you remove them when the car is parked to reduce the risk of theft, or leave them in place to catch parking damage? (Please don't answer 'yes'.)

58 minutes ago, Dippo said:

Do most of you remove them when the car is parked to reduce the risk of theft, or leave them in place to catch parking damage? (Please don't answer 'yes'.)

The type that attach to the windscreen with a big suction cup and dangle down are too big and easily noticed from outside, so I would imagine anyone with that sort will be removing it overnight and almost any other time they leave the car alone, to avoid some scrote breaking in to nick it.

The other type (like the Viofo A129 Duo that I have) are small enough and sit high up, which makes them hardly noticeable from outside, so I (and many others with that type) leave them in place 24/7.

10 Useful Tips for Getting the Most Out of Your Dash-Cam | Slashdigit

All on view above, only the lens poking out below the dotted area of the screen below

camcable2.thumb.jpg.782cd6c09945865b5389a71932b13ac2.jpg

3 hours ago, Dippo said:

No fit & forget (ish)

8 hours ago, Dippo said:

Do most of you remove them when the car is parked to reduce the risk of theft, or leave them in place to catch parking damage? 

My BlackVue is a black tube that sits on the screen in front of the rear view mirror, so it blends in with the back of the mirror.  You’d have to be looking for it to see it.

I also set it to turn off the various indicator lights when it’s in Parking Mode.

The rear camera is much smaller and fairly unobtrusive anyway.  The BlackVues don’t have a screen, so they’re inherently smaller and don’t have to be positioned out in the open so that the screen can be viewed.

I certainly consider Parking Mode to be essential and wouldn’t have a dashcam that didn’t have it.

And as for the basic question of whether to have one, well I’m surprised they’re not yet standard equipment.  Incidentally, with regard to the point about them recording your own driving, I think this is something well worth bearing in mind!

And for drivers who get upset by the behaviour of other drivers, it’s very calming to know that every bit of bad driving is now on record.

It can be very satisfying to know that it’s going to be a shock when the Police turn up later to confront the offender with video evidence!

On 3/21/2022 at 2:32 PM, Dippo said:

Mine is both front and back system and is hardwired into the car so left in all time.

I got a slight discount on my insurance having it fitted and, as others have mentioned, they are not required but would be a big help in the event of an accident... just make sure it was not your fault.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links