Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Puddle light help please!

Localhero

I purchased a pair of projector lights to replace red lights in doors, passenger light works great, but drivers door is getting a supply only not enough  to fully power the  tiny bulb and now the original light doesn't work I hope and pray I have not fried something? Is there a solution?? Ps light works if I test them on a 12v Battery even if I reverse + and - connections???

33 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Did the driver’s side work OK before replacement?

🤫

Thanks for reply I think it was, I have obviously googled this and others have had similar problems,  here is where I talk absolute rubbish lexus supposedly use one side as a return and so there is only residual voltage? Not enough to power  the  bulb and a micas? Comes into play somewhere, also the voltage is so low that the electronics cannot recognise that the light is asking for power one guy took a feed off the Battery and then used the lead to the door switch to complete the circuit, this is way way above my head and I think I need Sheldon off big bang to sort this one out 🙄

If one side works the other should also, mine has the Lexus logo projector lights fitted to all 4 doors and were plug and play.

As you mention everything is Can Bus controlled these days ( my switch backlight illumination is out at present and needs diagnostics) so I can fully understand your views.

If you have a basic multimeter you should be able to check the connector pins for 12V and ground which are the only requirements for it to light up.

I’ll have a search for the wiring diagram.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Neil

You were obviously successful in buying plug and play puddle lights.

If you have got any hot tips or a link to the product you bought then please share.

Thanks, Anthony 

Lexus-Logo.thumb.jpg.ebeaef7b711b9e2dea184add6238b26a.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks all so do i assume there is a wire from the door switch probably an earth and if I find and connect this then I need a power supply from somewhere? One guy with same problem ran wires from passenger side to drivers side which seems a lot of work for a puddle light🤔

On 27/04/2022 at 9:44 AM, Localhero said:

Thanks all so do i assume there is a wire from the door switch probably an earth and if I find and connect this then I need a power supply from somewhere? One guy with same problem ran wires from passenger side to drivers side which seems a lot of work for a puddle light🤔

I have now discovered it is an earthing problem, by leaving the live side connected to my lamp and running a separate lead to any bare metal light bursts into full power but of course this means it  cannot be turned off so how do I earth it through the door switch or is there a simpler solution thanks for any help  Stew😛

3 hours ago, Localhero said:

I have now discovered it is an earthing problem, by leaving the live side connected to my lamp and running a separate lead to any bare metal light bursts into full power but of course this means it  cannot be turned off so how do I earth it through the door switch or is there a simpler solution thanks for any help  Stew😛

The earth is the return path, not the feed. The connector probably has a red wire and a black wire, the red being +ve and the black the -ve, or earth. You should really find the point where the -ve wire is bolted to the bodywork (there could be other earth wires connected there, just waiting to go faulty), then clean and tighten the connection. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Herbie said:

The earth is the return path, not the feed. The connector probably has a red wire and a black wire, the red being +ve and the black the -ve, or earth. You should really find the point where the -ve wire is bolted to the bodywork (there could be other earth wires connected there, just waiting to go faulty), then clean and tighten the connection. 

Thanks for reply yes there is a red and black wire to the door switch, the light comes on but extremely faint! when i press door switch it goes out so everything is connected but not properly any ideas how I might find where it is earthed👍Stew

2 hours ago, Localhero said:

Thanks for reply yes there is a red and black wire to the door switch, the light comes on but extremely faint! when i press door switch it goes out so everything is connected but not properly any ideas how I might find where it is earthed👍Stew

Open the door and you'll notice a rubber conduit going from the door into the main body of the car. Take off the side panel in the footwell and you should see where all the door wires come out. One, or maybe more, should be going to a nut/bolt/screw as the earth connection. If the earth connection is tight then you may have a high resistance break in the wire somewhere, so you may have to take the door card off so that you can push/pull the wire and see if it moves or breaks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 29/04/2022 at 3:49 PM, Herbie said:

Open the door and you'll notice a rubber conduit going from the door into the main body of the car. Take off the side panel in the footwell and you should see where all the door wires come out. One, or maybe more, should be going to a nut/bolt/screw as the earth connection. If the earth connection is tight then you may have a high resistance break in the wire somewhere, so you may have to take the door card off so that you can push/pull the wire and see if it moves or breaks.

I have finally cured this, there is only one wire to door switch I cut it at switch then connected new wire from there to the light via door post  along cill trim up footwell trim through rubber hose  into door and along to switch it now works hooray!! On removing door card I found speaker paper cone badly torn I am not an audiophile  and mainly listen to radio if anything? But as I want my car to be right anyone recommend reasonable speakers that would be a very simple replacement? Many thanks Stew

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Localhero said:

I have finally cured this, there is only one wire to door switch I cut it at switch then connected new wire from there to the light via door post  along cill trim up footwell trim through rubber hose  into door and along to switch it now works hooray!! On removing door card I found speaker paper cone badly torn I am not an audiophile  and mainly listen to radio if anything? But as I want my car to be right anyone recommend reasonable speakers that would be a very simple replacement? Many thanks Stew

Glad you got it sorted Stew :thumbsup:

I'm not an audiophile either so I wouldn't go out of my way to replace it with some super-dooper unit that costs a fortune. I would say any speaker that has the same impedance and power rating and is the correct physical size to fit, would do me.

• Thanks 1

On 4/27/2022 at 5:37 AM, Lexiguy said:

Hi Neil

You were obviously successful in buying plug and play puddle lights.

If you have got any hot tips or a link to the product you bought then please share.

Thanks, Anthony 

Lexus-Logo.thumb.jpg.ebeaef7b711b9e2dea184add6238b26a.jpg

Sorry Anthony I missed this one. They are the type that replace the existing red door lens but the seller no longer lists them. 

1589786085_IMG_31904856.thumb.jpg.cf7d76301aed0dfcf165a9ebc68435ce.jpg

Here is the ones on SCMODS website.

He appears a sound guy on the YouTube videos he has put on line although he is quite disparaging about the Lexus Dealer network...but that is in the USA!

Screenshot_20220604-011340_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4be0d248afc2c787db2e3dc8a4ebe3ba.jpg

15 hours ago, Lexiguy said:

Hi Neil

Looks like SC430Mods is the place to guarantee plug and play! 

Are you coming up to the meet at Grantham a week on Sunday?

Ant

I haven't been invited. Is it the same set up as last year as I believe the host is no longer a member of the original group? 😏

I agree Calvin (SC430Mods) seems a fair guy and properly supports the products he sells. I think he tests the products and resells them in most cases and develops/enhances them further in others. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neil E said:

I haven't been invited. Is it the same set up as last year as I believe the host is no longer a member of the original group? 😏

I agree Calvin (SC430Mods) seems a fair guy and properly supports the products he sells. I think he tests the products and resells them in most cases and develops/enhances them further in others. 

Hi Neil

I posted this on the meets page.

Yes, Chris Fixter is still one of the organisers but the event will have a different form from the previous one. 

Besides the event is about getting together with other SC430 owners and enthusiasts, not who the organisers are.

It would be great to see you and any others there and the weather forecast is brilliant!

image.png.1e230faba04433e52815b3f2a1f77c45.png

Thanks Ant, having looked at the admins I don't think I will join that group. 🙂

I enjoyed meeting people at Grantham last year but it seemed more for the benefit of CF than the SC. The Lexus article said it all.   

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Hi Neil

I understand your hesitance and I feel the same but I have risen above those negative feelings in the interests of meeting many friends in the absence of any a solid offer of any other event being arranged!

So sorry Lexyguy Junior and me won't be seeing you there to swap information!

Anthony

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lexiguy said:

Just as a matter of interest who are going? I know Russ is. 

Anthony

Yeah, I’m making the effort,

Never met CF, if I don’t like, I avoid ☺️☺️☺️

Ant, do you do Facebook? Have you seen my post about mortar from my house roof falling on my bonnet? 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

47 minutes ago, Lexiguy said:

Hi Neil

I understand your hesitance and I feel the same but I have risen above those negative feelings in the interests of meeting many friends in the absence of any a solid offer of any other event being arranged!

So sorry Lexyguy Junior and me won't be seeing you there to swap information!

Anthony

Hi Ant,

I'm not going to go through the details again but it's a matter of principle. I still regret not reversing back out to park next to the quiet lad in the RCF. 🙂 If it was being set up by anyone else I would try to attend. I do sincerely hope it goes well and that it is being organised for the benefit of the SC community and not an individual. 

By coincidence I'm due to work all day in Leeds the day before and a part of me thinks I should travel South on Sunday stopping in Grantham on the way home - if there's a space in the public parking area of course. 🤣 

42 minutes ago, Russ59 said:

Yeah, I’m making the effort,

Never met CF, if I don’t like, I avoid ☺️☺️☺️

Ant, do you do Facebook? Have you seen my post about mortar from my house roof falling on my bonnet? 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Hi Russ

I don't Facebook but I was told about it and was shown the pic.

I did not know it was yours but certainty felt for the owner, I would be devastated!

Hoping to see you next Sunday!

Ant

39 minutes ago, Neil E said:

Hi Ant,

I'm not going to go through the details again but it's a matter of principle. I still regret not reversing back out to park next to the quiet lad in the RCF. 🙂 If it was being set up by anyone else I would try to attend. I do sincerely hope it goes well and that it is being organised for the benefit of the SC community and not an individual. 

By coincidence I'm due to work all day in Leeds the day before and a part of me thinks I should travel South on Sunday stopping in Grantham on the way home - if there's a space in the public parking area of course. 🤣 

Hi Neil

Graham's car was much noiser than him, but only just! 😂 He was not allowed to buy raffle tickets either..poor lad. He lives well north in Scotland now.

It is being held in neutral ground this year...its at a bar and restaurant carpark so I suppose anyone could go and park there.

This year there are no competitions or judging so that's a good!

Anyway it sounds like fate is putting you up here, so it's a no brainer....see you in the carpark!!!

Ant

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links