Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rust

Bought a 10 year old CT for a prince’s ransom from Lexus in Teeside, had a couple of problems that to their credit the dealer sorted. 45k miles f sport, I really like it.

However, I spotted, after buying the car, that there is rust on the chassis leg in the engine bay, under an engine mount, will be MOT fail in a few years. Lexus will not warranty it as it’s not on a surface panel. Local dealership (sw london) quoting £750 to remedy it.

Having driven a Volvo for 11 years i am not used to seeing this, even the missus’ 18 year old Ford has none, i thought I’d be buying a quality car, but am seriously doubting how long it will last now. Dealer in Teeside will not repair the rust.

Is rust common on the CT?

On 5/2/2022 at 11:14 AM, Nick0 said:

Local dealership (sw london) quoting £750 to remedy it.

from what images you've sent .  can't see it's much other than surface rust which could do with some adept fingers and wet'n dry to rub it all off ...  maybe !

Is there anything else you can see or feel ?

Malc

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Malc said:

from what images you've sent .  can't see it's much other than surface rust which could do with some adept fingers and wet'n dry to rub it all off ...  maybe !

Is there anything else you can see or feel ?

Malc

Thanks Malc I think it's already gone beyond that, there are flakes of corroded metal coming away it's in an awkward spot which is also structural. The reasons I didn't really check the car thoroughly when collecting it were because of read about how well made they were. Just not what I was expecting, and really annoying and clearly must be because of flaw in the paint or galvanising in that area, maybe both. It's not like it's under a wheel arch/in an exposed location

31 minutes ago, Nick0 said:

Thanks Malc I think it's already gone beyond that, there are flakes of corroded metal coming away it's in an awkward spot which is also structural. The reasons I didn't really check the car thoroughly when collecting it were because of read about how well made they were. Just not what I was expecting, and really annoying and clearly must be because of flaw in the paint or galvanising in that area, maybe both. It's not like it's under a wheel arch/in an exposed location

Nick,

Have you thought about writing to the THE DEALER PRINCIPAL at Lexus Teeside and explaining your concerns at having purchased the vehicle from his Official Lexus Dealership and finding such a Premium vehicle in such an unsatisfactory condition ?

You are not asking for the identified matter to be warranted,but you are asking for his help in addressing what is to you  and it should be to his Dealership, an important matter.

It was not readily identifiable prior to purchase,but does require some expert attention to arrest any further decay. And you need his help to progress matters.

Tell him that you hope that the problem can be addressed locally without the need to pursue matters via a formal notification to Lexus.UK

Do not be fobbed off by any referral to a Salesperson and insist that you deal with the Principal personally.I understand that the Dealership may have changed hands recently, but I don`t know when or when you bought the vehicle.

Do let us all know how you get on. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Nick,

Have you thought about writing to the THE DEALER PRINCIPAL at Lexus Teeside and explaining your concerns at having purchased the vehicle from his Official Lexus Dealership and finding such a Premium vehicle in such an unsatisfactory condition ?

You are not asking for the identified matter to be warranted,but you are asking for his help in addressing what is to you  and it should be to his Dealership, an important matter.

It was not readily identifiable prior to purchase,but does require some expert attention to arrest any further decay. And you need his help to progress matters.

Tell him that you hope that the problem can be addressed locally without the need to pursue matters via a formal notification to Lexus.UK

Do not be fobbed off by any referral to a Salesperson and insist that you deal with the Principal personally.I understand that the Dealership may have changed hands recently, but I don`t know when or when you bought the vehicle.

Do let us all know how you get on. 

Good shout thanks, I'll see what they say

Absolutely as John stated above. That rust is quite bad and to do a proper remedy means a lot of work. Just how long after buying the car did you notice the rust? Personally I'd take the car back and get a refund. There are plenty more cars out there and with no rust issues. 

1 minute ago, Mr Vlad said:

Absolutely as John stated above. That rust is quite bad and to do a proper remedy means a lot of work. Just how long after buying the car did you notice the rust? Personally I'd take the car back and get a refund. There are plenty more cars out there and with no rust issues. 

Thanks, I really like the car, it had full lexus history with the selling dealer, it's low mileage, and otherwise in lovely condition. You're right there are plenty others though

That rust looks bad. It might've been stationed for months or a even a couple years, what does mot mileage history say?

All cars no matter how realible they are in theory, need to be properly inspected. Low mileage is great if it is actually driven and not stationed for long periods of time. On hybrid cars, no matter the brand, the batteries will suffer quite a lot from long periods of no use. I'd give it back in this case.

Let us know how it went with the dealer.

4 hours ago, diabolik said:

That rust looks bad. It might've been stationed for months or a even a couple years, what does mot mileage history say?

All cars no matter how realible they are in theory, need to be properly inspected. Low mileage is great if it is actually driven and not stationed for long periods of time. On hybrid cars, no matter the brand, the batteries will suffer quite a lot from long periods of no use. I'd give it back in this case.

Let us know how it went with the dealer.

Mot history has no advisories at all, ever, which was one of the reasons I thought it was a no brainer. Hindsight is the teacher isn't it. Actually find it a bit odd that no rust was mentioned, the testers round my way are annoyingly diligent, this one was tested by the same dealership. Starting to get a bit suspicious.... Will update what the dealer says

4 hours ago, diabolik said:

MOT also gives you a mileage history. How much the car has run every year, you can spot it there.

Yes indeed, no problem there

Nick ..........Have you had an independent and more sensible garage, indy, or bodyshop advise on this specifically ?

£750 seems a silly amount tbh:unsure:

Malc

15 minutes ago, Malc said:

Nick ..........Have you had an independent and more sensible garage, indy, or bodyshop advise on this specifically ?

£750 seems a silly amount tbh:unsure:

Malc

Thanks Malc, not been anywhere else. Lexus Twickenham say that air con and coolant pipes need moving, and also the engine mount itself would need to come out, but I agree the cost seems OTT. 

Sent a grumble email to Lexus UK who sent it on to the dealer. I predict dealer will either say a) we'll refund you and sell it to some other unsuspecting soul, or bring it back to us to repair - that's a 540 mile round trip which I already did once to get them to sort out a suspension arm/exhaust bracket/heatshield! Was hoping Lexus UK would intervene and say get Twickenham (5 miles away) to fix it. I'll update, but might have to cut my losses and find another one, or something else.

Back when I was a lad I drove FIATs in particular those of a twin cam variety, great engines, sh*te bodies that would RUST. Spent ages waxoyling a 1985 car that I had restored, it's still going to this day according to gov.uk, thought I'd never have to see rust again on a car.

Have you all checked this spot in your cars?

Looking closely at the pictures it’s not just the rust, there is also a lot of flakey corrosion on the alloy cam cover and even the low pressure AC fill valve and pipe unions/ pipes look well crusty.

The fact it is localised to just one side is also weird.

11 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Looking closely at the pictures it’s not just the rust, there is also a lot of flakey corrosion on the alloy cam cover and even the low pressure AC fill valve and pipe unions/ pipes look well crusty.

The fact it is localised to just one side is also weird.

thansk Steve, agree it's odd - not exposed to weather/salt like the underneath. I think the paint/galvanisation/both must have been sub standard. 

2 hours ago, Nick0 said:

Thanks Malc, not been anywhere else. Lexus Twickenham say that air con and coolant pipes need moving, and also the engine mount itself would need to come out, but I agree the cost seems OTT. 

Sent a grumble email to Lexus UK who sent it on to the dealer. I predict dealer will either say a) we'll refund you and sell it to some other unsuspecting soul, or bring it back to us to repair - that's a 540 mile round trip which I already did once to get them to sort out a suspension arm/exhaust bracket/heatshield! Was hoping Lexus UK would intervene and say get Twickenham (5 miles away) to fix it. I'll update, but might have to cut my losses and find another one, or something else.

Back when I was a lad I drove FIATs in particular those of a twin cam variety, great engines, sh*te bodies that would RUST. Spent ages waxoyling a 1985 car that I had restored, it's still going to this day according to gov.uk, thought I'd never have to see rust again on a car.

Have you all checked this spot in your cars?

Nick, I did NOT advise you to write directly to Lexus UK!

5 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Nick, I did NOT advise you to write directly to Lexus UK!

I know John, I did that all by my self! Thought they might say "take it to your local Lexus dealership, it shouldn't be like that, sorry". If only.... the wife's car needs replacing, an 18 year old Cmax, had it's problems, but no rust. Not sure I'll consider Lexus at this rate.

7 minutes ago, Nick0 said:

I know John, I did that all by my self! Thought they might say "take it to your local Lexus dealership, it shouldn't be like that, sorry". If only.... the wife's car needs replacing, an 18 year old Cmax, had it's problems, but no rust. Not sure I'll consider Lexus at this rate.

UK Law obliges the Seller in many ways. "I thought" is not a helpful avenue for any resolution.

I will follow with interest but any further advice will not be forthcoming.

17 hours ago, Nick0 said:

Yes indeed, no problem there

38 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

UK Law obliges the Seller in many ways. "I thought" is not a helpful avenue for any resolution.

I will follow with interest but any further advice will not be forthcoming.

John I'm sensing disgruntlement, apologies if I've caused any upset

Just now, Nick0 said:

John I'm sensing disgruntlement, apologies if I've caused any upset

And I don't know how I quoted two replies! Typing on my phone without readers on has landed me in trouble before. 

I'm grateful for all input here

1 minute ago, Nick0 said:

And I don't know how I quoted two replies! Typing on my phone without readers on has landed me in trouble before. 

I'm grateful for all input here

Apologies accepted Nick. 

There should not be a good reason why the Seller should not authorise the local to you Lexus Dealer to investigate and correct and then bill the Seller .

I've seen & had a fair few rusty cars.. those photos look like you've got water dripping directly on that area. Yes it looks mainly like a surface rust. It often looks worse than it is. The dealer says the AC lines would have to come off, so it's possible the condensation is just falling onto an unfortunate place and if the car doesn't get driven enough then it probably just collects. They might do something about it as it seems to be a one off or at least not a very well reported problem. Please do report back, it's an interesting one to say the least. I have 0 rust on my 170,000 mile IS250. Toyota's tend to be solid! 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links