Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Almost there!!

Chief2221

Greetings to all and what a great site this is for helpful advice and knowledge. I’m just about to take the plunge and buy a 2010 RX450h. It has a lot of mileage (240,000m) but comes with a full and comprehensive Lexus Service history, wanting for nothing along the way. I’ve called Lexus and they’ve confirmed the servicing has been carried out according to the schedule. The vehicle looks immaculate both inside and out. My concern is how reliable is the gearbox. I have a Volvo and have completed 400k and have had the gearbox oil changed every 100k which I believe has prolonged the life of the gearbox. I asked Lexus if they carry out a gearbox service or gearbox oil change and they said ‘no’ as it’s a sealed unit. Should I be concerned? I hope not as I would love to purchase it on Saturday! Any advice is welcomed. TIA.

• Like 1

Hi Jim. Yes Lexus don't do gearbox oil changes. The RX however is a CVT and personally I've no idea about its lubrication even tho I had one a few years back. Post your queries in the RX section where you'll get all the info you need.

It's an e-cvt so not the normal autobox - interesting it's reached 240k miles with no oil change (I assume given that it's been Lexus serviced all it's life). The big question now given the mileage and history is would changing the oil risk more problems than leaving alone...? 

28 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

The big question now given the mileage and history is would changing the oil risk more problems than leaving alone...? 

Being an expert on the eCVT (ie watched a couple of youtubes on how it worked) I don't believe it has the narrow passageways a conventional auto box has which can sometimes get blocked hence differing opinion on whether an oil change is a good idea.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Hi Jim. Yes Lexus don't do gearbox oil changes. The RX however is a CVT and personally I've no idea about its lubrication even tho I had one a few years back. Post your queries in the RX section where you'll get all the info you need.

Thankyou. I will. 

52 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

It's an e-cvt so not the normal autobox - interesting it's reached 240k miles with no oil change (I assume given that it's been Lexus serviced all it's life). The big question now given the mileage and history is would changing the oil risk more problems than leaving alone...? 

Excellent point. Many thanks.

59 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

Being an expert on the eCVT (ie watched a couple of youtubes on how it worked) 

Just brilliant, made me smile today.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chief2221 said:

I’m just about to take the plunge and buy a 2010 RX450h. It has a lot of mileage (240,000m)

I'm anticipating at this mileage and age you're getting an amzingly good deal pricewise ?

Malc

If the transmission is not showing any signs of impending doom,then leave well alone.

You could try speaking to Thameside Transmissions in Droylesden Manchester and asking their advice. http://www.gearsandclutches.co.uk/

T T are used by Matt of High Peak Autos fame, a pleasant guy who is appreciated by many of us.

Take a look at his Youtube Channel as he has bought and sold a number of Lexus cars.

Just now, Chief2221 said:

7.2k. Hoping that’s a good deal!

the gearbox would possibly be my only reservation ...  I've no idea the cost of a replacement ............ bet the garage didn't pay half that for their stock car ...  did they get it at the auction do you know ?

Malc

2 minutes ago, Malc said:

the gearbox would possibly be my only reservation ...  I've no idea the cost of a replacement ............ bet the garage didn't pay half that for their stock car ...  did they get it at the auction do you know ?

Malc

Yep, mine too. No, they bought it directly from the owner whose had it from new and only just sold it to them. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

If the transmission is not showing any signs of impending doom,then leave well alone.

You could try speaking to Thameside Transmissions in Droylesden Manchester and asking their advice. http://www.gearsandclutches.co.uk/

T T are used by Matt of High Peak Autos fame, a pleasant guy who is appreciated by many of us.

Take a look at his Youtube Channel as he has bought and sold a number of Lexus cars.

Brilliant. Many thanks. Will definitely call first thing tomorrow. 

3 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

What sort of warranty is the garage offering with the car ?

Haven’t discussed that yet and not mentioned in our discussions but Will be seeing them Friday morning and will definitely be a point in question. 

9 minutes ago, Chief2221 said:

Haven’t discussed that yet and not mentioned in our discussions but Will be seeing them Friday morning and will definitely be a point in question. 

I would suggest that £7.2K seems high for a car of that age and mileage. It may be in in excellent condition but for that price they need to be offering a very good warranty. Back up their confidence in asking that price.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chief2221 said:

An important question Jim.

He may say there is no warranty on a car with such mileage, in which case walk away.

He may say 3 or perhaps 6 months in which case you will have to make a decision.In my view £7.2k for a 240,000 mile car is too much. By way of an example, I have owned from new a 255,000 miles E Class Merc Estate for which WBAC has offered me £155 !   I aint sellin !

The price however has to be one with which you and only you,are comfortable. I am of the view that if you are buying from a Dealer, and it seems that you are, then, regardless of the price you pay in this instance, he is legally responsible under the 2015 Consumer Rights Act, for any significant problem which occurs within 6 months of your purchase. Some Dealers play fair and others don`t.

Do keep us all informed.

• Like 1

just as an aside I'd be thinking the garage vendor has plenty of leeway to offer you a good warranty ......... I'm thinking their purchase price might have been @£3k  .....but that configures with whatever the deal might have been done with the seller, if it was a p/ex or not 

.......... possibly going to be nigh impossible for you to determine the veracity of it all :unsure:

Good luck whatever :yes:

Malc

• Like 1

2nd hand car prices have shot up a lot recently so 7.2k for a 10 plate RX450H is quite reasonable. 

As for Tameside Transmissions John. I'm gobsmacked Matt of high peak autos uses them. I've spoken with them regarding my is250 and they said basically they're not interested. Also many negative reviews. Personally I'd stay well clear of them. There must be reputable transmission experts nearer Kent.

2 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

2nd hand car prices have shot up a lot recently so 7.2k for a 10 plate RX450H is quite reasonable. 

Agreed if it had a 100K less miles.

9 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

As for Tameside Transmissions John. I'm gobsmacked Matt of high peak autos uses them. I've spoken with them regarding my is250 and they said basically they're not interested. Also many negative reviews. Personally I'd stay well clear of them. There must be reputable transmission experts nearer Kent.

Thanks Vlad. I`ve no personal experience of them but Matt recently spoke well of them.

I`d be interested in reading the many negative reviews, where do you suggest I look ?

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

An important question Jim.

He may say there is no warranty on a car with such mileage, in which case walk away.

He may say 3 or perhaps 6 months in which case you will have to make a decision.In my view £7.2k for a 240,000 mile car is too much. By way of an example, I have owned from new a 255,000 miles E Class Merc Estate for which WBAC has offered me £155 !   I aint sellin !

The price however has to be one with which you and only you,are comfortable. I am of the view that if you are buying from a Dealer, and it seems that you are, then, regardless of the price you pay in this instance, he is legally responsible under the 2015 Consumer Rights Act, for any significant problem which occurs within 6 months of your purchase. Some Dealers play fair and others don`t.

Do keep us all informed.

Excellent advice. Thankyou.

48 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Thankyou Mr Vlad. There is and I shall be calling them tomorrow as well.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links