Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre recommendations

MadJam250

Hello all. I currently have Yokohamas (17) on my 2014 CT and looking to change all 4 in two stages over the next few months. Any recommendations with regards to longevity, good value and quietness please? 

The front two are almost done at 15k miles/17m so it's been a costly replacement and so soon. That said the tracking is out and Lexus want £150 for that alone! 

Thanks 

Quietness is indeed destroyed of the roads we drive on (most of us).

Extremely durable were Continental we had on a big heavy Mercedes while living in Africa with mostly non-paved roads. 50K kilometres and not a flat. Unfortunately they do not make quiet tyres.

The tyres on our CT are also Yokohama and on the few good roads they are quiet enough to hear music without destroying our ears, but unfortunately good quiet roads are few.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MadJam250 said:

Hello all. I currently have Yokohamas (17) on my 2014 CT and looking to change all 4 in two stages over the next few months. Any recommendations with regards to longevity, good value and quietness please? 

The front two are almost done at 15k miles/17m so it's been a costly replacement and so soon. That said the tracking is out and Lexus want £150 for that alone! 

Thanks 

I would regard 3mm of tread as the point where tyres have to be replaced.  As you say, the tracking is clearly out.  Fortunately any competent tyre retailer should be able to do that and include it as part of your new tyre purchase.  There’s no point in allowing misalignment to continue.  Incidentally, incorrect tyre pressures can also contribute to excessive or uneven wear.

Bear in mind that when replacing tyres the new tyres go on the rear axle, not the front.  So you’ll have to move the current rears to the front axle.

As for the brand, the Michelin Cross Climate 2 is indeed an excellent all-weather tyre.  We have the original CCs on a 4x4 and I would have had them on the Lexus, but Michelin only did one of the two sizes it needs.

Should you happen to be a member of Costco, it’s worth checking their site as they have regular discount offers on Michelin - amongst others.

Incidentally, I did once get my Lexus dealer to quote for the supply and fitting of new tyres and, to my surprise, they matched my regular tyre supplier.  So possibly worth checking about a new tyre and tracking deal.

Think your question was about new tyres with little noise.

We all need new tyres now and then and I started looking.

Privileged as we are here where we live, I did not look for all-year tyres but for all tyres. Filtering after noise I was surprised that among the tyres with the least noise were only summer tyres. Add a decibel or 2 and Michelin come in with there so highly priced here in the forum CrossClimate.

I am going to see if I can find the Yokohama Advan Fleva V701 here as temperature here is always above what is OK for summer tyres.

For people living further north I understand why all-season tyres are popular.

Economy is C as best for all tyres I have seen, handling in rain seems to be easy for most of the tyres to get an A rating. The problem seems to be getting a tyre that is quiet.

1 or 2 decibel is a real difference as 3db equals doubling of sound.

2015124371_Lownoise-.thumb.jpg.0f320364c619cf07263228aae8ac25d7.jpg

It's worth noting that those noise ratings are measured from outside the car. By a microphone placed at the side of the test track.

It's entirely possible for a "noisy" tyre to be anything but once they're fitted to a car with good sound insulation (like a Lexus).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J Henderson said:

It's worth noting that those noise ratings are measured from outside the car. By a microphone placed at the side of the test track.

It's entirely possible for a "noisy" tyre to be anything but once they're fitted to a car with good sound insulation (like a Lexus).

Your Lexus may have much more insulation than the CT.

And still: 3db is twice as much or half as much noise, which is a lot. Even in the better insulated cars.

Outside as well as inside.

I’m happy with what came on the car and will prob go for the same again when it comes to replace again. I do like the cross climate tires but feel the side walls make the tyres look bigger than they are. 

We have used Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric on  all our cars over recent years, with the exception of the CT200h. The Goodyear are a top performance tyre for sportier cars with low noise superior grip and good wear.

On the Ct200h I have let Lexus fit the Yokohama tyres and am happy with the way they are preforming so far. Having said that it's not the sort of car that lights up the tarmac 😄 they required changing from age date expiry rather than wear lol!

3 hours ago, Poundy said:

We have used Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric on  all our cars over recent years, with the exception of the CT200h. The Goodyear are a top performance tyre for sportier cars with low noise superior grip and good wear.

I have the Goodyear Asymmetric Eagle F1 5s on my IS250 and can certainly agree with this assessment.  They also offer very good wet weather performance, which is a particular personal requirement.  I originally intended to fit the Michelin CCs but they only did one of the two sizes I needed and the Goodyears had recently been introduced to very good test reviews.

At my present annual mileage, I’ll probably never have to change them!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links