Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Se Bog Standard..front Uneven Tyre

Hi all,my boss has a IS200 SE on a Y plate...

hes had the car from new and the car is well mantained...

The front tyres have uneven tyre wear on the insides of the tyres...

they were put on new and have may be done 6000 miles or so..the out sides of both tyres have plenty of tread left on them...

is this a common problem with the is200...

the car has the factory 17s alloy wheels..

does anyone have any info on whats causing the tyres to wear unevenly?

the car has only done 20,000 miles from new...

the alloys were replaced by lexus last year because of corrosion on the alloys..

with the old alloys the tyres were wearing on the outside of the tyres on both wheels..any thoughts please?

Lexus **** said it wasnt a common problem.

But it appears to different going by people on this forum. I for starters have experienced this. :angry:

Do a search, you'll get pages and pages!!

I have a suspicion some brands of tyres are more susceptible to this than others.

Despite repeated Lexus alignment checks, i have excessive inside front tyre wear.

I've only used Bridgestone tyres though... S03PP at the mo...

About 12k miles and currently 4-5mm tread except inside edge which is barely legal :angry:

Both IS's I've had have done this - front tyres have 5-6mm tread, inside edges look like Harry Hill's head! I'm just one of many...

Having just replaced the front tyres, I had a full geometry done (£85+VAT!). Camber values were/are:

Front left: -0° 16' (before) -0° 19' (after)

Front right: -0° 26' (before) -0° 26' (after)

...so I'm expecting the same problem after another 8000 miles.

The IS has a negative camber setting which will wear the inside more than the outside. I would only except a 1mm difference between the inside and the outside though. Any more and the wheels need to be properly aligned.

ive got 5 mm for most of the tyre and nothing on the inside 40mm of the tyre do i need to speak to lexus dealer??? after 13500 miles

thanks for all your replys so far...his tyres are slick on both the inside of the wheels and 4mm on the outsides :blink:

sounds like me boss is not alone with these problems..

i was really shocked when he pointed out the wear on the front tyres...i just hope me ls400 not going to have the same problems :unsure:

he doesnt drive his car that hard around corners so hes surprized with the way the tyres have worn..he says its in for a service next month,so hes hoping they can sort it out..

worn on the inside and the outside? His tyre pressures are much to low then.

the old wheels....the tyres worn on the outside...

the new alloys...may be different make tyres? are wearing on the insides

he says the pressures have always been set to the manufactures spec on a plate on the car somewhere..

The IS has a negative camber setting which will wear the inside more than the outside. I would only except a 1mm difference between the inside and the outside though. Any more and the wheels need to be properly aligned.

ive got 5 mm for most of the tyre and nothing on the inside 40mm of the tyre do i need to speak to lexus dealer??? after 13500 miles

anyone?

anyone?

They will no doubt suggest a 4 wheel alignment check / adjust...

And for that pleasure you'll be expected to cough up around 80-100quid :duh:

15,000 miles on my IS200SE and had same problem - front tyres bald on inside, remaining still legal. Dealer suggested full tracking alignment check, which cost me £85 + VAT plus cost of 2 new tyres. From searching the forums before I saw this is a very common problem, but Lexus unfortunately are not prepared to treat it as a warranty matter :unsure:

Mind you, they did give me my 15% Gold parts discount on that which certainly helps :P

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links