Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Crossclimate tyres for the RX

On 7/4/2022 at 11:46 AM, JBPRX400h said:

I have been waiting and looking as well and have just found this on Michelin's website.

https://www.michelin.co.uk/auto/tyres/michelin-crossclimate-2?tyreSize=20

They seem to be labelled as a "new" line.

Here's hoping.

JBP

Just had the following response from Michelin:

--
Dear Mr xxxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting MICHELIN!

I regret to confirm that the MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE models are not available in the mentioned size (235/55 R20) and we do not have any estimated date either.

MICHELIN is happy to accompany you on every journey and would like to thank you for the confidence. 

Kind regards,

Imre,

your MICHELIN advisor
--

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Sixty said:

Just had the following response from Michelin:

--
Dear Mr xxxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting MICHELIN!

I regret to confirm that the MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE models are not available in the mentioned size (235/55 R20) and we do not have any estimated date either.

MICHELIN is happy to accompany you on every journey and would like to thank you for the confidence. 

Kind regards,

Imre,

your MICHELIN advisor
--

I had the same response when asking why Michelin did not make a CC tyre for one of the two sizes I needed for the 18” wheels of my Lexus.

I was surprised because it was a size that also shod such as BMW.  But presumably there was not sufficient demand!

There are a fair number of test drives on youtube from the US where the RX has Michelins on them but I don't know which ones.  They do may something in that wheel size.

• 2 weeks later...

According to Black Circles Michelin do a Cross Climate 2 SUV tyre in 255/50/Y20 which according to Tyre Size Comparison site would give almost exactly the same rolling diameter as 235/55/20 tyres.

Would there be a clearance problem with the extra 20mm width (only 10mm each side of the rim)?

2 minutes ago, JBPRX400h said:

Would there be a clearance problem with the extra 20mm width (only 10mm each side of the rim)?

From looking at the RX I would say highly unlikely to be a problem as being an SUV there is plenty of space around the wheel arch, unlike a sports car where the wheel pretty much fills the arch.

It's just possible at full lock there could be a problem, you could try putting your wheels at full lock in both directions and see how much clearance there is.

• 2 months later...

Costco sell the cross climate 2 for the RX. I have them on the NX (cross climate 1) and will certainly get them when my RX arrives shortly. My experience with the NX shows the Michelin are far superior to the OEM fitment. As I live in rural Scotland i get a lot of cold mornings and occasional snow, and the cross climates seem like a great compromise. 

1 hour ago, RichieinScotland said:

Also mytyres so CC2 as well, so there they are slowly becoming available. With the success of the RX in the USA, I'm surprised it's not a standard sort of size you could buy easily.

I've checked both those suppliers and nothing for the RX on 20" wheels

No problem getting CC2 in the 18" wheel size...

2 hours ago, Sybaris said:

Went to Kwik Fit today and they have CC2s in 235/55/20s.  They can ship supply to any of their branches.

Just went on their website and nothing? :dk:

So, called into my local ATS (visited often when I had my AMG..) and spoke with the manager regarding the availability of CC2 in the 235/55/20 size. He tapped away on the keyboard and sighed... 

Yes, they are offered in that size but currently there is no stock and Michelin give no date for when they will become available. Apparently this could mean anywhere between 4-6 weeks to 6 months!

As ATS Euromaster is part of the Michelin group I would imagine they would be best placed to know 

A point worth noting regarding the Crossclimates, which I just discovered today, is that it seems if you get a nail in the tyre many main tyre places won't repair them. I have no idea why.

I also discovered that National Tyres offer a lifetime guarantee against accidental tyre damage for £7.50 a tyre at time of purchase, if you buy from them.

https://www.national.co.uk/information/guarantees

I wish I knew that when I bought my last one from them a few months ago,  as that now has a nail in it. I've dropped the car off at my local garage,  and hopefully they'll repair it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

Was the nail near the edge of the tread pattern? 

No, it was bang in the middle, so that aspect was fine, it's just that apparently they're told not to repair Crossclimates. I don't know what the reason is. My local garage repaired it without question though.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links