Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I thought I would start a separate thread for this.

Those of you with a 450h potentially an f sport, how do you find acceleration in normal and sport +?

I realise the RX is not a sporty car and about 50% of my driving is around towns, outer cities and b roads in and around a major UK capital,  but there are times you want to instantly move.

- off the lights (if you got in the wrong lane or some how need to go quickly)

- Joining a busy and fast moving motorway and getting up to 70 mph quickly

- Overtaking on motorways and A and B roads.  There are a couple of A roads that have a nice clear stretch with varying speeds from 50mph and later on at 70mph.

I don't want to have to build up steam to then be able to pass by quicker.  I want to think, react and go.

Also I probably will become irritated with an indefinite single gear revving to a pitch that only dogs can hear.

Am I making a mistake with buying this car?  Should I stick with my 8 year old petrol turbo?   Problem with that its losing money and in 2 years time the warranty runs out and being a turbo, costs will start to mount up.

I like everything else about the RX but I have never had a CVT/eCVT and its a leap in to the unknown from a traditional auto and an expensive mistake if I get it wrong.  I know this is an area I am focusing on but I want to be 100% sure its the right decision.

The advice and thoughts from the community are greatly appreciated. 

9 minutes ago, Sybaris said:

The advice and thoughts from the community are greatly appreciated. 

With respect you have already asked this and had several positive responses.

You can look up the 0-60 time and top speed (which I believe is limited) on any review site, anything else is just someone's subjective opinion and is clearly likely to be biased on a Lexus forum.

I can understand your hesitancy in making a big financial commitment and wanting to make the right decision, only way you can be certain if it's the right car for you is by a further test drive with the use cases you describe, rather than asking the opinions of strangers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely,  it is a big decision and I have tested one, but a 30 minute drive on a route that doesn't reflect real world driving and is designed to sell you the car because its new and exciting may hide some of the quirks or annoyances that you would notice once that novelty feeling has worn off.  Thats why I am asking the question ... several times if need be.  I want to be sure of what I am doing and at the moment I am not.

I see all new cars not yet in showrooms in mainland Europe are now to have speed limiting facility by law, although this may be possible to turn off with some inconvenience, at least for the time being. So although this is not a requirement in the UK at present, it is likely to become so, helped by manufacturers fitting the system as a matter of course rather than omitting oir the UK market.  So speed and acceleration will be less important, you will just slot in and bunched up in a convoy in many cases.

I question why anybody putting a premium on speed, acceleration and handling is considering the RX anyway.     

• Like 2

I can understand your hesitancy, as it is a big financial commitment. Definately need to take an extended test drive to see if the RX is satisfactory for your needs. 0-60 is around 7.5s, which in my opinion is quick enough for an SUV. When I took a test drive in an RX at Lexus Stockport, the salesman asked if there were any particular roads I would like to test the car out on. I wanted to see how the RX would perform on the motorway accelerating from, say, 50 to 70mph. They had absolutely no problem with this, so hopefully you'll also be able to request if there are any particular road types or scenarios in which you would like to test the car.

• Like 3

I came from an XC90 T8 which had a 0-60 around 5.3 seconds and would give you a kick in the back as it changed gear at 60 but I don’t find the RX slow. Just put in sport if you need especially fast acceleration then back to normal.  Even in normal it’s ok. Fuel consumption between 33 and 38 depending on journey.

as others have said ask for another test drive to make sure you are happy

• Like 2

Thank you, reading what other owners experience is much more reliable and informative than hearing what the sales person thinks I want to hear.  I'd ask for another drive but the dealership is not local, getting to drive that one was a challenge.

• Like 1

I came from a GSF and in normal driving I haven't found the 4RX to be any less useable, but the hybrid system suits my driving style better than the GSF. Acceleration from a standstill to around 30mph is surprisingly quick, I am often surprised when pulling away from lights how far everybody else is behind me after 5 secs. It is not a sports car by any means and it wobbles a bit on fast corners on country roads but you adjust your driving to suit. Mid range acceleration is adequate for our crowded roads and it cruises happliy at speed. I would say its biggest drawback is its sheer size, you cannot see where the front ends and width restrictions are thrilling. A Premier model with all round cameras seems a good idea. However you need to get an extended test drive to see whether it really suits you. I was lucky enough to be loaned one for a couple of weeks but I was pretty sold on it right from the start and at the end I didn't want to give it back.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

The RX is more than fast enough for my needs, and I've never felt short. However keep in mind, although labelled AWD, it's really FWD. The majority of the power when accelerating hard will go to the front wheels as it has a physical connection to the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine). The rear axle is an electric motor that helps out. In short if you accelerate hard off in wet slippery conditions, expect the front wheels to break traction. The rear axle will give you, at slower speeds, a hand push out of a muddy field.

If you are a fast driver I think you are going to be disappointed with the driving dynamics. It's a heavy car, with weight placed high. It will get up to speed, but it's not the sort of car that wants to be hustled down a road. Capable, but not a drivers car. It's at home making progress and wafting around, not racing around. If you want to drive fast you'd be better served by an estate car etc. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WipeOut said:

If you are a fast driver I think you are going to be disappointed with the driving dynamics. It's a heavy car, with weight placed high. It will get up to speed, but it's not the sort of car that wants to be hustled down a road. Capable, but not a drivers car. It's at home making progress and wafting around, not racing around. If you want to drive fast you'd be better served by an estate car etc. 

I disagree, the F Sport with AVS is much more capable on the bendy country roads that I ever imagined.
Bearing in mind that my other car is a Lotus Evora, whilst clearly much more ideally suited to such driving, the RX certainly does not disappoint for this type of vehicle.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 2:41 PM, rayaans said:

Acceleration is good on all accounts

Totally agree - I consider it to be far more than ‘adequate’ 😁

3 hours ago, WipeOut said:

It will get up to speed, but it's not the sort of car that wants to be hustled down a road. Capable, but not a drivers car. It's at home making progress and wafting around, not racing around. If you want to drive fast you'd be better served by an estate car etc. 

^^ Also agree with this. It is a comfortable cruiser, but isn’t one to throw into corners. That’s not what it’s designed for though, and having owned several different SUVs they’re all similar in that regard.

• Like 1

I'm not one to throw around corners, I take it nice and safe but I do like a nice straight sometimes to hit the gas though these days, being slightly more mature and sensible I drive much safer but its that burst I get from my 2.0 turbo that I love, shame they don't do a 2.5 turbo, that would have been spot on.

On 7/12/2022 at 1:49 PM, Sybaris said:

I don't want to have to build up steam to then be able to pass by quicker.  I want to think, react and go.

Yep, the last thing you want is to wait for change down when you put your foot down, build up revs into the power band only for it to then go beyond peak power, at which point it needs drop below peak power as it changes gear and keep repeating that through the gears.

You want a CVT which will almost instantly get the engine at its peak power output and keep it there until you release the throttle pedal.

• Like 3

I would love a Gen 5 but that's out of my budget. Besides they are not giving turbo's to the UK market now.  I spoke to Lexus HQ about the new NX and they told me flat that the UK will only get the straight 2.5 and the US will get the 2.5 turbo.  Doesn't seem fair, all those climate protesters ruining it for people that want to move faster. Pah, may save a few dolphins but loads of people will be late for work.

9 minutes ago, Sybaris said:

I would love a Gen 5 but that's out of my budget. Besides they are not giving turbo's to the UK market now.  I spoke to Lexus HQ about the new NX and they told me flat that the UK will only get the straight 2.5 and the US will get the 2.5 turbo.  Doesn't seem fair, all those climate protesters ruining it for people that want to move faster. Pah, may save a few dolphins but loads of people will be late for work.

The 2.4 Turbo is coming to the UK but as the hybrid 500h F-Sport Performance model.

However, the RX acceleration is more than adequate as mentioned already. Additionally, it does handle reasonably well for a car its size. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links