Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New to Forum - Thinking of buying Lexus LS 600HL - advice needed

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum. I am thinking of buying my first ever Lexus - a Lexus LS 600HL in black. I would appreciate some buying advice. I am looking into a 2008 model. I understand that this is the pre-facelift not post facelift model. I've always tended to buy the post facelift models in previous cars purely because the post facelft models do not have the problems inherent in the pre facelift ones as the problems are corrected by the manufacturer in the post facelift models. 

Can this be said of the pre facelift Lexus LS..? Should I look for a post facelift one which I understand would mean looking for year 2012 onwards (which is when the model underwent a facelift).

Thank you in advance.

Hi Sam and welcome to the LOC.

I owned a 1994 and presently own a 2004 JDM Lexus LS400/430.

The latter owned for 16 years before upgrading and can only say both were/are ultra reliable with regular servicing.

Bear in mind the LS600h is hybrid so pay particular attention to the service history and hybrid batteries.

These are heavy cars so front suspension issues arise and I think they are air suspension which is big money when failures do happen.

If you have a link to the one you are considering post it up so members can give advice or history.

If you have the registration number you can check the past MOT history on the .gov website which generally shows any fails and advisories.

• Like 3

Welcome Sam to this elite Forum ....  hehehehehehe ......  I sort of envy you the choices before you in buying a Ls600  ....  they are going to be superb driving machines and with good servicing and preventative maintenance shoud provide you with aeons of brilliant comfortable and, comparatively inexpensive motoring when you're comparing similar costs to those on a RR or Bentley etc 

I don't know for sure but I'm quite thinking the comfort levels would be similar ...  whichever age model you decide upon .....  just don't expect a miracle of any aged car .....  2008 is now upcoming 15 years young ...  and stuff will start to go awry I'm sure 

BUT a 2008 Ls600 would have long gone from being an initial company purchase car with any maintenance and servicing costs covered at Lexus Main Dealer with expense no object ...  subsequent owners would hopefully have been astute and careful and looking after such a prestige car .........  go get the service history and MOTs of the cars you're looking at .  those details will tell you a myriad of useful detail I'm sure 

Steve's words of wisdom above are good

Best wishes with your hunt

Do keep us in the picture eh !

Malc

• Like 2

I purchased a 2008 Ls600hl a little over a year ago.

So far I have had to replace the following:

Tyres (19 in).

Standard Battery (not the hybrid one) but it's not standard as it's designed for the hybrid so over £260 from Lexus.

Radiator.

Passenger side mirror (over £300) - the glass only.

The hybrid Battery is under warranty for a year at a time provided it's been inspected/serviced by Lexus ( certificate is issued). Has not had to be replaced yet.

One front shock absorber is now leaking but not yet needing replacement ( Lexus quoted over £1000 for it plus labor and the 8 (?) control arms are £80 per unit!

It's the old story: an originally expensive car may be cheap to buy when old but it'll be just as expensive to repair as when new!

The car handles well as it has all wheel drive and the combination of the 5L V8 and hybrid motors provides enough power to move the 2.5 tons but the best mpg I've seen is 32mpg (motorway with light traffic).  It is rear heavy: as the hybrid Battery sits between the rear seats and the boot which is therefore greatly reduced.  There are toys: dynamic cruise control, DVD player for the rear passengers, heated and ventilated seats, etc.

This is my third Lexus: LS400 for over 10 years, LS430 for a very few months (written off by the proverbial white van man) and now the Ls600 hl.  If I had to choose I'd pick the Ls430 and that only because Toyota is no longer able to supply the parts for the Ls400.  Any questions please feel free to p.m.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

Why would you not pick the LS600 - just curious?

It doesn't handle as well as the Ls430, it has many more things to go wrong expensively (air suspension and the hybrid Battery, to mention only 2) which could easily write off the car.  The Ls400 had the most comfortable seats of all three.  I only bought the Ls600 because I couldn't find a decent Ls430 at the time and I had to have a car 

• Like 3

The biggest difference apart from very significant changes in the shape is in the suspension. The 2007 to 2011 cars are more floaty and absorb smaller potholes and road imperfections better. The 2012 to 2016 cars feel more sporty as the steering is more direct but are more composed around bigger potholes.

Some of the 2012 to 2016 cars have additional features which are not available on the older cars such as Blind Spot Monitor and Automatic High Beam. The > 2012 cars can stream music over Bluetooth from factory whereas the older ones require an aftermarket solution.

To me the >2012 cars look much better in person and blend well with modern cars. 

Good luck, I am sure you'll be happy with either!

• Like 3

You may have missed the 2010 mild facelift. Looks slightly different grill, bumper, headlights and wing mirrors. Different brakes, digital dash. And the big ones for me DAB radio, Bluetooth music and access to full phonebook. Probably a number of other things to?
Had a 2007 LS600 last year and now have a 2010. Couldn't do without the dab, phonebook or Bluetooth now.
Half thinking about a facelift 2012 next but personally prefer the look of the older car. 

• Like 4

Sam wow, what a lot of really really useful info for you to ponder upon ....

...........do let us know how your thoughts are after all this please

Malc

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 2:45 PM, GEN said:

- the glass only.

please advise .....  is this coz the glass misted over thru' time and difficult to view properly   ?

or was it damaged perhaps ?

Thanks

Malc

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Malc said:

please advise .....  is this coz the glass misted over thru' time and difficult to view properly   ?

or was it damaged perhaps ?

Thanks

Malc

Fortunately only the glass was damaged otherwise the cost for the whole thing is over£1000.

• Like 1

Thank you ...........  reason i asked was coz on my Honda Legend 2006 the lens misted over with time it seems and like you, the cost of OEM was ridiculously HUGE and I managed to just buy an appropriate sized cut stick on/over existing  " glass " from a general supplier in the uk ............. AND it cost about £25 .........  didn't keep the heating demisting feature tho'  .....  it was just a mirror glass effectively and not what the purist would wish I know ....  but £25 compared to, I think at the time from Honda, @ £300  just for the glass 

Malc

In my case there was nothing left to stick anything on as the mirror (glass) was smashed into many small pieces.  In fact it even 'bled' very nasty fluid on the door which I did not notice until the next day....

12 minutes ago, Malc said:

Thank you ...........  reason i asked was coz on my Honda Legend 2006 the lens misted over with time it seems and like you, the cost of OEM was ridiculously HUGE and I managed to just buy an appropriate sized cut stick on/over existing  " glass " from a general supplier in the uk ............. AND it cost about £25 .........  didn't keep the heating demisting feature tho'  .....  it was just a mirror glass effectively and not what the purist would wish I know ....  but £25 compared to, I think at the time from Honda, @ £300  just for the glass 

Malc

One front shock absorber is now leaking but not yet needing replacement ( Lexus quoted over £1000 for it plus labor and the 8 (?) control arms are £80 per unit!

Hi Gen , were the £80 control arms quoted by Lexus ?? Last time I paid for upper arms they were approx £300 each from Lexus not fitted. That was approx late 2018 at around 170,000 miles .

Upper control arms are the same for the 460/600 across all years .

I fitted non Lexus upper arms at 140,000 miles which cost 200 euros for the four and they lasted approx 30,000 miles - had I spent the  £1000 on four arms at 140,000 miles ( the price quoted in 2017 by Lexus ) I don't think the they would have been changed again in 2018 - the bottom arms were all replaced at 140,000 and were good for another 100,000 miles when the car was sold .

Of the four lower arms the two nearest the bulkhead are specific to the LS600 .

Any other questions about LS ownership just ask - milage and dates are approx of course ...

bought and sold...

2018 - LS500 H Premier - Dec 2020 with 18,500 miles - now at 52,000 miles

2010 - LS600 HL - Dec 2013 with 43,000 miles - Oct 2021 with 218,000 miles

2004 - LS430 - May 2007 with 45,000 miles  - Dec 2013 with 245,000 miles

1996 - LS400 - May 2005 with 160,000 miles - May 2007 190,000 miles

I am lucky enough to own the post 2012 facelift 600hL and what a machine it is!

As colleagues have said the facelift definitely looks more modern especially with the large spindle grill (I love it) and newer cleaner rear light design. They look fantastic in lighter colours (silver/white) and have real road presence and gravitas but with typical Lexus restraint and fine taste. So ultra rare compared to S, 7, A8 too.

The interior is also more modern looking with the large 12 inch screen, posh click and shimomoko wood and top quality semi abalone leather finish. Also extra modern features as already covered.

The drive is sublime, from floaty air comfort mode to aggressive and super quick in sport splus which tightens the steering and sharpens throttle response. The V8 is amazing and completely effortless and silent which I just love. Some say the mighty 600 flash ship is a finer comfort machine than the newer 500 although I have yet to drive it so cannot usefully comment.

You will also see from the US forums that the 12 ironed out earlier suspension issues.

Both cars are excellent depending on budget, the facelift is just much more modern and future proof in my view.

The biggest challenge is actually finding one for sale since only less than about 90 were sold between 12 and 17 so they very rarely come up for sale. I was super lucky and decided to snap up immediately with zero regrets.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2022 at 9:45 AM, Malc said:

Sam wow, what a lot of really really useful info for you to ponder upon ....

...........do let us know how your thoughts are after all this please

Malc

Absolutely Malcolm, I was not expecting such a large number of extremely helpful replies. It goes to show that this club is so welcoming and professional...! 

I am very happy with the helpful responses, it gives me quite a lot to think about....One thing seems to stand out that the LS 600 HL seems to be a very popular and highly sought after car. 

Thank you all...

21 minutes ago, SSUR said:

I am lucky enough to own the post 2012 facelift 600hL and what a machine it is!

As colleagues have said the facelift definitely looks more modern especially with the large spindle grill (I love it) and newer cleaner rear light design. They look fantastic in lighter colours (silver/white) and have real road presence and gravitas but with typical Lexus restraint and fine taste. So ultra rare compared to S, 7, A8 too.

The interior is also more modern looking with the large 12 inch screen, posh click and shimomoko wood and top quality semi abalone leather finish. Also extra modern features as already covered.

The drive is sublime, from floaty air comfort mode to aggressive and super quick in sport splus which tightens the steering and sharpens throttle response. The V8 is amazing and completely effortless and silent which I just love. Some say the mighty 600 flash ship is a finer comfort machine than the newer 500 although I have yet to drive it so cannot usefully comment.

You will also see from the US forums that the 12 ironed out earlier suspension issues.

Both cars are excellent depending on budget, the facelift is just much more modern and future proof in my view.

The biggest challenge is actually finding one for sale since only less than about 90 were sold between 12 and 17 so they very rarely come up for sale. I was super lucky and decided to snap up immediately with zero regrets.

Hi there, thanks for your reply. I am also thinking of a post facelift LS 600 HL. There is one which will be coming onto the market soon. It is 2012 reg, in black, with the rear relaxation pack. My contact will be coming to the UK in September and I plan to see it then. Its fairly low mileage at 80,000 miles, FSH with Lexus. It seems to tick all the boxes. As you stated, the front grill looks different compared to the pre facelift, I reckon both look nice. TBH, It's just a stunning looking car...!

I keep looking at the following YT videos which I find very helpful.

Both are great reviews of the car...

I purchased a 2008 Ls600hl a little over a year ago.

So far I have had to replace the following:

Tyres (19 in).

Standard battery (not the hybrid one) but it's not standard as it's designed for the hybrid so over £260 from Lexus.

Radiator.

Passenger side mirror (over £300) - the glass only.

The hybrid battery is under warranty for a year at a time provided it's been inspected/serviced by Lexus ( certificate is issued). Has not had to be replaced yet.

It's the old story: an originally expensive car may be cheap to buy when old but it'll be just as expensive to repair as when new!

The car handles well as it has all wheel drive and the combination of the 5L V8 and hybrid motors provides enough power to move the 2.5 tons but the best mpg I've seen is 32mpg (motorway with light traffic).  It is rear heavy: as the hybrid battery sits between the rear seats and the boot which is therefore greatly reduced.  There are toys: dynamic cruise control, DVD player for the rear passengers, heated and ventilated seats, etc.

This is my third Lexus: LS400 for over 10 years, LS430 for a very few months (written off by the proverbial white van man) and now the Ls600 hl.  If I had to choose I'd pick the Ls430 and that only because Toyota is no longer able to supply the parts for the Ls400.  Any questions please feel free to p.m.

Hi GEN, Thanks so much for your reply and I will pm you if I have any tricky questions. Thank you. This is one of the reasons why I am looking at a post facelift example, as my reasoning is that Lexus would have fixed any niggly issues that may have been apparent in the pre facelift ones...What colour is yours?

• Like 1

It's obvious that the newer the car you buy the better it will be...

Colour: I really got lucky this time as it is precisely what I would have chosen if I had ordered it from the factory.  Silver exterior with black interior.  Silver is very boring but it doesn't require washing every 20 minutes! (My Ls430 was a beautiful blue but it showed every speck of dust).  As for the interior beige gets a bit boring after a while.  By the way I wouldn't recommend going for the extra luxury 4 seater: a full size car and it can't even accommodate 5 people!  Good luck with your search and purchase!

The 600 has incredible build quality so mileage will be no issue at all with a full Lexus history and ongoing attention as required. Be prepared for replacement items as part of the car’s age.

Trust me, these are better built and more refined than probably 99% of modern cars. I was shocked by the appalling road noise and bouncy ride of a brand new Tesla, not a patch on the Beast!

There is a certain advantage to owning the Lexus flagship model after all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MotorMan said:

This is one of the reasons why I am looking at a post facelift example, as my reasoning is that Lexus would have fixed any niggly issues that may have been apparent in the pre facelift ones...What colour is yours?

Hi Sam ,

I don't think there were niggly issues to iron out - the LS600 launched in 2007 , in 2010 it then had face lift by changing the front bumper / grill / bonnet / headlights / wings / wing mirrors / rear bumper / rear lights and bootlid.  Interior changes were the option of a five seat version with the full relaxation seat / DVD player &  9" screen between the front seats with dolby surround 5.1 . New steering wheel controls and  a new digital display in the dash ( no longer with two separate dials ) slightly different controls for the media unit - some models came with a 10gb HD which you could record cd 's onto - and rewind live radio for upto an hour ..sat nav was massively updated too , full postcodes and a better overall usability than the  previous sat nav . Full Bluetooth connection / stream music etc

Nearly all came with semi-aniline leather and alcantara head lining.

The 2013 face lift models again had changes too the front bumper / grill / bonnet / headlights / wings /   rear bumper / rear lights and bootlid and new alloywheel design( same size ) .

Inside was an all new dashboard and centre console with a small rest with mouse type control to interact with the larger 12.3 info screen and rotary dial for suspension options - in 2015 the small rest  had the addition of a side menu button . The multi disc changer has gone from the dash and is now a single  disc . there is no HD to store ads but live radio can still be rewound . The sat nav was updated too and lost a feature or two and the dash went back to having two  dials . The rear DVD player is now blue ray , and the massage controls were put on the side of the centre armrest -( 2010 model had a control unit within the armrest .) Some models were fitted with  night vision  ..if it has it it has three buttons to the left of the steering wheel not two , some are advertised as having it but don't .

The  front and rear seats / door panels are the same throughout the 2010  - 2016 years. Across all the years the monocoque has remained the same as have the doors . The 2013 facelift did not come with a spare wheel , but the well is still there if you want to carry a full size spare , but you'll lose a storage tray - and the TPS system won't recognise a spare wheel on the car ; there were some colour choice changes too . They all drive very similar to each other , different tyres do make a difference to the ride and sound in the car . 

As with any car there can be faults and problems - but on the whole they are pretty bullet proof , buy a good one  and it should serve you well . The mpg is an average of 30 mpg - best I had was 41mpg averaging 65 mph mostly on motorways , town driving will see an average of 28mpg.  Parts can be pricey and some only available through Lexus but you won't be buying them that often  .

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi, new to this forum and thinking of a LS600HL. 

Im curious if MotorMan found one and is happy with his decision.

Ive found one on a 07 plate reg : GR07 ZKS, 111000 miles, and wondered if anyone here had owned or come across it before?

Previous MOT's show wear in front control arms so assume they'll need doing at some point.

Can I still get a Lexus health check done on the HV Battery and get 12 months warranty on it being 15+ years old and over 100k miles?

Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Steve

39 minutes ago, V10diesel said:

Can I still get a Lexus health check done on the HV battery and get 12 months warranty on it being 15+ years old and over 100k miles?

Any help would be greatly appreciated .

I don't know but maybe a quick call to the Main Dealer might put you in the picture before you get too involved with all else  ........  looks like some expensive issues upcoming for sure

Good luck

Malc

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

I don't know but maybe a quick call to the Main Dealer might put you in the picture before you get too involved with all else  ........  looks like some expensive issues upcoming for sure

Good luck

Malc

Thank you for quick response, waiting on main dealer to email me back regarding Battery warranty as the first sales person I contacted had no idea. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links