Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Boot (trunk) Supports

Lexiguy

The boot support struts on my car are sometimes lazy and require a bit of extra assistance to push it up the last couple of inches.

I am presuming that this is a warning that replacement will be require sooner rather than later.

It appears from research that different types of strut are available for the SC430 including air, gas and hydraulic.

My first question is which one is used by Lexus?

Secondly, can anyone comment about what they have bought or which they believe to be the best?

As you can see, they are all made in China and are similarly priced .

Thanks Anthony 

Screenshot_20220819-172849_eBay.thumb.jpg.9487112173221ec98172998a01109cc6.jpg

Screenshot_20220819-173016_eBay.thumb.jpg.f8e20003636fd47bc36c2cdfb427f33a.jpg

Screenshot_20220819-172907_eBay.thumb.jpg.cc8af2ca2964003b307f58e10403a4d5.jpg

• Like 1

maybe the originals can be re-gassed by SGS ( if indeed they are gas )  ....  SGS the people we Ls400 owners have happily used for many years  

Malc

• Like 3

Or you could get them from Lexus at £109 I assume that's a pair!!!  Whilst looking at parts prices I came across brake fitting kit 2x W shaped wires and 4 clips at £90+ and an absolute bargain 1 that's one, lexus pop rivet at £2.59p must be due to brexit, war in Ukraine  etc🤫

• Haha 3

Hi Stewart

You are right some Lexus part prices are competitive and others are downright bonkers!

Don't try to find logic in it, it's not Brexit or the Ukraine war it has always been like that!

Anthony

• Like 1

I bought the SGS ones ,£75 a pair if i remember correctly . Easy to fit, feel really well made and nice action on the lift. Many conflicting views on the cheap chinese ones. Was going to go that route but changed my mind and bought British quality with guarantee, easy to get sorted should a problem occur.

• Like 3

I have bought tool boxes from SGS and know the company through that. 

I'm sure SGS would be a better product but the ones from China are nearly a quarter of the price which is a huge difference!

As Lexiguy Junior banged his head on the boot lid last night because it had not gone fully up I need to make the decision and get it sorted!

Ant  

On 9/1/2022 at 7:02 PM, oldjoe said:

I bought the SGS ones ,£75 a pair if i remember correctly . Easy to fit, feel really well made and nice action on the lift. Many conflicting views on the cheap chinese ones. Was going to go that route but changed my mind and bought British quality with guarantee, easy to get sorted should a problem occur.

What’s the SGS website?

I have had stuff from SGS engineering (don’t know if it’s the same site) in the past and they also do them for the SC at £35.99 a pair.

On 9/1/2022 at 7:02 PM, oldjoe said:

• Like 2

My boot struts felt a little weak so I have just tonight fitted a new set from SGS Engineering. I have used them before and liked the quality and the fact they are British made (I know, Japanese car - irony not lost on me!). They also have a 2 year warranty.

note: they are £35.99 each though, not sold as a pair

Roy

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Royal Len said:

My boot struts felt a little weak so I have just tonight fitted a new set from SGS Engineering. I have used them before and liked the quality and the fact they are British made (I know, Japanese car - irony not lost on me!). They also have a 2 year warranty.

Roy

☺️☺️☺️

I need to go to spec savers😆😆

11 hours ago, Royal Len said:

Roy

Perhaps I should request* that they are approached by LOC to see if they will offer a discount to us?

*Request now made!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lexiguy said:

Perhaps I should request* that they are approached by LOC to see if they will offer a discount to us?

*Request now made!

Nice one Ant👍
Mine are ok at the mo, but just have to give it a help for the last bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lexiguy said:

Same with mine Russ!

One day we will need to spend lol 😂

Spend spend spend 😲😲😲

I’m spending near on a grand this week on new exhaust then the following week it goes for MOT and I Know the reluctor rings are coming to their end 😟😟

After that though, I know I will have a perfect car 🤞🤞🤞🤞

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

16656445891437366519820472345652.thumb.jpg.f71681dea2d89185548f62c03fe7394e.jpgHi Richard

I agree with you about the quality, I had one I bought from Screwfix but it was rubbish compared to SGS boxes.

My only negative comment is that both SGS boxes I bought had minor damage which was consistent with a rough carrier but not bad enough for me to want to get involved with sending back and all the stress and hassle that goes with it.

Ant

3 hours ago, Tomtit said:

Ant.

Photo of tool cabinets attached. I sometimes need a pry bar to open the drawers on the Halfords cabinet, even 'though they are not full. I cannot fault the SGS cabinet.

tool cabinets 001.JPG

Thumbs.db 15.5 kB · 1 download

Plenty of room in those for boys toys!!!

• 5 months later...

Hi guys

We started this conversation about boot struts, but digressed.

I got two new struts from China at Christmas and have just fitted them. 

It was an easy and quick job, just prising the clips off the old struts then the struts just pop off. The new ones with clips on just pop in place.

The things I learnt was:

1. The Chinese one are much cheaper and appear to work as well.

2. Find a prop to hold the boot open and put it in place before starting.

3. Pay attention and don't fit them upside down 

Some of the above I may have done but I won't admit to it 🤣

Screenshot_20230410_235230_eBay.thumb.jpg.99faf8b45d7c9d0e091f36900a1321d0.jpg

20230402_162922.thumb.jpg.41f411afb9a2b46b5fc6336a72d243f3.jpg

• Like 2

The only thing I would add is  when you prise the clip off the lower one try to hold it with a pair of pointed nose pliers at the same time as it would be easy for it to drop into the recess below where you will not be able to retrieve it.  The ones I bought from China were also really tight to push on.

13 hours ago, Glyn Jennings said:

The only thing I would add is  when you prise the clip off the lower one try to hold it with a pair of pointed nose pliers at the same time as it would be easy for it to drop into the recess below where you will not be able to retrieve it.  The ones I bought from China were also really tight to push on.

I have to admit that one of the lower clips went ping, never to be seen again despite a good broddle with an extending magnet!

The struts I bought went on with a healthy click too which gave me confidence too.

Anthony

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links