Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi 

I'm new to forum and need any advice going regarding my problem.

2001 LS430 167k

Steering lock jams therefore unable to turn ignition key.

Tried usual wiggling steering wheel etc etc.

Eventually resolved thanks to RAC mechanic who kept tapping something until released (a bit like when starter motor plays up on a car)

Took to main dealer who confirmed that a new steering lock actuator was required.

Ok I thought, until they gave me price.....Part £1740 with labour £2400. For a car worth hundreds I think I would be mad to consider it.

To overcome the problem i removed the fuse for the steering lock...smart hey...NO aparently it is also linked to the immobilisation system
which cuts off the fuel to the fuel pump.

I did find a work round which stops the actuator from locking the steering.

Here's the killer...the steering lock is part of the MOT and must be in working order. Even MOT tester said its not a safety thing and didnt know why it is in test.

The USA have a lot of these problems with Lexus and Toyota and their solution is to immobilise the actuator pin which cannot be done in UK because of MOT requirements.

Any solutions apart from scrap car or paying £££££££s.

Would dismantling and using some kind of PTFE lubricant work?

Any ideas

Many thanks

I don't know your answer BUT I do know that many guys on here have Ls430 steering rake etc issues and have overcome them for ease of just letting the position lie where it sits ......... understanding that a full fix is a tad expensive BUT using 2nd hand steering rake parts costs much less than the Lexus Main Dealer fiasco pricing 

I know nowt about an actuator but imagine that's a part of the common problem facing owners 

NOW for it to be an MOT failure.  well, no one's ever mentioned that before .... you sure someone's not telling you fibs ?

Malc

Malc

FYI from the gov website on what is checked during an MOT.

My local MOT tester said he was amazed it was part of the MOT....oh well, the Government knows best

2.19 Steering and suspension

These will be inspected to check:

• their condition
  • steering oil level
  • they work correctly
  • for inappropriate repairs or modification including corrosion to power steering pipes or hoses
  • that the steering lock mechanism works properly

The MILs or dashboard warning lights will also be checked for the electronic power steering and steering lock.

• Like 1

Steering lock is a safety issue. Try to imagine what would happen if it locked whilst you were driving. :scared: I'd get that fixed pronto.

The LS430 does have a habit of not unlocking the steering unless you give a hard tug in one direction or another to release it.
Mine did it several times just after I bought it, but with regular use it seems to have stopped, mostly.
I have probably helped because I now wait until the car is 100% stationary before I turn the ignition off.

BigBoomer

I agree but when driving the steering lock fuse is effectively out so hopefully shouldn't activate.

As a work round i have a switch which replicates the fuse being in or out.

With fuse in 'out' position i put ignition to ACC
then put fuse in 'in' postion
start car so engine is running
then put fuse to 'out' position

Engine can be turned off and as long as key not removed the engine will start as normal.

I know a big pain....its either that or ££££££s.

Come MOT time I think it's the scrappy unless a cheaper alternative can be found.

The £££££s saved could be put towards the purchase of another LS hopefully a model with relatively low road tax

From the exploded parts diagram it appears to be as Phil has correctly suggested the solenoid sticking (circled in the picture).

Removing the steering column shroud should gain access to it for testing and hopefully just lubrication.

Worst scenario is get another from a scrapper.

CE4D7BEA-B6F5-4384-B795-257DB7E8342E.jpeg

• 1 year later...

I have just purchased an LS430 and after getting it home on the trailer - it's done exactly this. Whilst i was looking at the car, the ignition switch turned without issue; I get it home and both steering lock and ignition switch are jammed up - great.

I have verified function of the smart access, and the smart key on my scanner (use an active test that beeps if the car see the key); i've tried all manner of jiggling the wheel and column, it won't come free.

I now think I'm looking at removing the lock actuator and ignition switch that's connected to it and seeing if i can work the acutator free whilst it's off the column.

also just to say I think it's actually the bit in black that's causing the problem:

image.thumb.png.f475b33c6f2ea7dfc47d929e1daa09af.png

Some links that appear to describe my issue - I wish I understood the language used in the YouTube video - as I think I'm fighting exactly that issue:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006/801686-steering-lock-warning.html

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update - it seems to have been the ignition switch that was jammed up, I gave it a couple of flat palmed high-fives and it freed up, releasing the steering lock at the same time. It seems to be connected to inserting the smart key in to the switch - if you stick with twisting the switch without the key inserted, it doesn't jam up.

I've sprayed some dry PTFE lube where i can around the switch, with the shrowd removed, and it's moving freely - phew!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update.

After considering scrapping the car a friend researched the oracle (Google) and discovered that the working steering lock MOT requirement only applies to cars registered after 1st September 2001.

The MOT tester was amazed and did not know that there was an exception, how many older cars have failed due to faulty steering lock?

19 minutes ago, thefrustratedbaron said:

A quick update.

After considering scrapping the car a friend researched the oracle (Google) and discovered that the working steering lock MOT requirement only applies to cars registered after 1st September 2001.

The MOT tester was amazed and did not know that there was an exception, how many older cars have failed due to faulty steering lock?

Older car owners are often quite astute when considering their cherished steeds ……. and probably overcome those MOT foibles to keep ‘em going 

Malc 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links