Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brakes Squealing When Driving Low Speeds - 2013 Lexus IS300h

When I'm driving slow speeds (like foot off the pedal) and just cruising, I hear the brakes or something screeching/squealing. The last mechanic told me he had the same issue on his Lexus SUV and he needed to get non-OEM brakes. In other words, he said the ones from Lexus were way too rough and to get "softer" ones whatever that means?

Does/did anyone have this problem?

If they are making a noise when you aren't on the brakes then either the pads are worn and the audible wear indicators are scraping against the disc to warn you - but more likely your brake calliper sliding pins are seizing up and not allowing the pads to move away from the disc and so need lubricating.

If you have squeal when lightly applying the brakes then the pads may be glazed over, but the OEM ones do tend to do this - replacing with EBC pads would solve that (and reduce dust). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Totally agree with Colin’s comments above.

The fact that regenerative braking is used and even Lexus dealer servicing tends to omit calliper slide pin maintenance it can only add to known brake problems exhibited across the range.

• Like 1

The brakes on Hybrids can go on for 100k+ if the disc and pads have life. Generally a strip down works to get rid of the squeaks clean the caliper, wire brush pad housing, regrease the caliper pins and your good to go. The brakes may not need replacing but the brake dust does you no favours they can seize up. Clean up and reassemble usually does the trick, this worked for me & it was the rear pads sticking.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a squeal coming from my brakes. My Lexus Master Mechanic took a ride with me and diagnosed some worn calliper clips. Total cost of repair £450.

I got a second opinion from a hobby mechanic. It was the push pins in the calliper needing re-greasing. I bought some copper grease and did the job myself.

I"ll never use that Lexus centre again.

Good Luck with the job

17 minutes ago, Felo said:

It was the push pins in the calliper needing re-greasing. I bought some copper grease and did the job myself.

Are you referring to the sliding pins? FYI you shouldn't really use copper grease on moving parts as it is abrasive and will wear the pins/calliper bores and rubber boots over time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2022 at 10:36 PM, Maxz said:

Only use the official Toyota grease as below.

Thanks. Why is the official grease important? I've had mine done by a mechanic who unlikely used the official grease.

What problems are likely to appear if a common or generic grease is used?

On 10/15/2022 at 9:23 AM, matt8 said:

What problems are likely to appear if a common or generic grease is used?

Low temperature grease could run out if the brakes get too hot. Some grease might react with the rubber boots and eventually allow water to get into the pins. Copper grease is abrasive and will wear the rubber boots and could even wear the calliper holes which would lead to the callipers rattling - but this would take many years to occur.

Having said all that, any grease that is suitable for brakes is fine, you don't need the specific Toyota grease, and I'm not convinced that the red rubber assembly grease Toyota use is the best option - which is why you start to get seized pins after a few years as it starts to get too sticky and harden. What is most important is the pins are checked and re-lubricated every couple of years, rather than waiting until your callipers are seized and you need to replace the discs because of corrosion.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

What is most important is the pins are checked and re-lubricated every couple of years, rather than waiting until your callipers are seized and you need to replace the discs because of corrosion.

So if this is a known problem why don't Lexus update their service schedule to include it?

After all Toyota pioneered the concept of Kaizen which is about identifying problems and continuous improvement.

2 hours ago, Spock66 said:

So if this is a known problem why don't Lexus update their service schedule to include it?

After all Toyota pioneered the concept of Kaizen which is about identifying problems and continuous improvement.

I would like to see it included in a major service for vehicles with a floating calliper design. But I'd hate to think what service pricing would be if they started to include it.

• 1 year later...
On 9/3/2022 at 10:50 AM, ilovepurple159 said:

When I'm driving slow speeds (like foot off the pedal) and just cruising, I hear the brakes or something screeching/squealing. The last mechanic told me he had the same issue on his Lexus SUV and he needed to get non-OEM brakes. In other words, he said the ones from Lexus were way too rough and to get "softer" ones whatever that means?

For context, what's your mileage?

1 hour ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

For context, what's your mileage?

53,738 kilometers. I think I also, found out the issue I'm having after reading different forums and videos related to my Lexus model and year.  Shim kits.....Never heard of this and assumed new brakes came with this, but I guess not. 

https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/product/lexus-is-phase-3-front-brake-pad-anti-squeal-shim-kit/

• Like 1

If youve had your pads changed at Lexus they should have re-used the old shims. Mine used to squeal when braking and turns out the previous owner changed the brakes and didnt use the shim kits. So i bought it and got it fit but the brakes still squeal when applied. So ive learnt to ignore it and assume its the pads . Also if you can wait a bit its cheaper here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166687780944?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338365712&toolid=20006&customid=EB211510275&

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ilovepurple159 said:

53,738 kilometers.

I'm just over 30k miles now, which is about the same.... Last time I went to the dealer for annual service (Novemeber) I asked them specifically to grease caliphers & slider pins, and they kindly did, but I dunno whether they used copper grease or not (would they, @ColinBarber ? )
...fingers crossed they used the toyota one. I'm not sure I can see copper leftovers after this time.  

16 hours ago, ilovepurple159 said:

Shim kits.....Never heard of this and assumed new brakes came with this, but I guess not.

A new vehicle comes with them. If you purchase new pads or even a new calliper you would be expected to reuse the existing ones.

2 hours ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

but I dunno whether they used copper grease or not (would they, @ColinBarber ? )

I wouldn't expect a Toyota/Lexus dealer to use copper grease, they have specific service bulletins that mention the correct grease and the amount to use.

• Thanks 1

For me the noise was a piece of gravel stuck between the disc and the inside weather guard. But that was a helluva screech! Simple to get out.

• 2 weeks later...

I have similar issue. Drove to cabin few days ago and started to wonder why fuel consumption was almost 2l higher than normal. Started suspecting sticking breaks. When the journey was over, I touched the driver side break disk and it was boiling hot. Took the vehicle to the dealer and they said the piston was stuck. I need new piston, thankfully Lexus Relax will cover this item. Just need to wait about 2 weeks the parts to arrive. Until that I need to avoid any unnecessary driving not to bend the disks and save the pads.

ym. 2015 Lexus IS 300h, 135k kms in odo.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links