Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Windscreen replacement

PeteTP

Hello there,

Wondering could I possibly have some kind person share their experience, knowledge and wisdom on having the windscreen replaced on their ES?

My June ‘20 windscreen took a pretty robust sounding hit the other day. Initial inspection revealed nothing. However, yesterday I found the point of impact on the near side, right down in the corner….in the black dotted band🥴. IMO it’s a total replacement as the crack is starting to propagate upwards from it.

I’m insured by NFU. They use Autoglass but I’m concerned about them fitting a non-OEM screen. Am I being a fuss-pot? I reckon the windscreen is acoustic glass with integrated heating elements. On top of which the ADAS will require complete  recalibration, will it not?

If I insist upon having an original Lexus part NFU will pay only a minute amount towards it. It’s likely to be an eye-watering sum in total if I self-fund the job. The car is pristine (yeah, nobody likes a bragger) and I don’t want a second-rate job done by some person who’s not familiar with the make/model. 

Pernickety? Yes. Fastidious? Most definitely. That being the case, what do you suggest I do? No response too daft. Give me both barrels. Tell me straight.

Sorry if I’m being a twit but it’s my first time in this situation.  Hope some kind sole will take pity on me🤞.

Thanks in advance.

PeteTP (in a mild state of worry)

When I had my GSF screen replaced, Autoglass used a Lexus screen. The downside was I had to wait about 3 weeks for it as there were none in the country and it was on back order. I personally think it unlikely Autoglass will be sourcing a non OEM screen as it would have to be to the same spec and for a model that sells in relatively low numbers is it in anyone's interest to tool up for something they are not going to sell very quickly?

The Autoglass technician was very careful , I watched him throughout and the ADAS didn't have to be recalibrated as it didn't work any less well after, not that it ever worked properly.

Hope this helps.

Graham

Hi Graham,

Greatly appreciate the speedy and reassuring response. My ADAS work well. If they can maintain its op std then perhaps my concerns over Autoglass and their fitters are unfounded.

Anyone care to offer a yay or nay on Graham’s experience?

Thanks again 08ISF. You’re sharing is gratefully received 👍.

PeteTP

New policies now include ADAS re-calibration in their text. I would insist on an OEM lexus screen. I'd be watching the replacement to make sure they don't screw up the surrounds. Not specific to the ES, but you read so many bad experiences where a screen replacement results in a water leak.

Yes the screen is acoustic. It's also structurally important. I would try to avoid driving to allow maximum cure time.

That being said, If it can be repaired, I'd go for it. If it's a short crack, a drill at the impact point and filling with that liquid glass material that hardens on UV treatment would be invisible. I've had that done on a past car and you could hardly see the crack anymore, and it held till we sold the car.

Good luck. I'm just as persnickety. I feel your pain.

Peniole you bring me optimism as well as wisdom. When Autoglass and NFU open tomorrow I’ll raise my issues and move from there.

Would be willing to have it repaired if a top drawer job is possible. It would be easier…perhaps.

PeteTP

After over 40 years driving without ever having a broken windscreen I have had my windscreen replaced twice this year in my ES, in May I had a big stone hit it, replaced through my insurance company with £100 excess charge, they used, I think, Autoglazing but the important thing is they used a genuine Lexus screen, they commented that it was a lot of money. Fast forward to August and I got another chip which was small and repairable, a visit to Halfords and they turned the repairable chip into an unrepairable massive crack, luckily they accepted responsibility and paid for a full replacement which was done at Autowindscreens, the important thing is they again used a genuine Lexus windscreen supplied by Lexus Cambridge.

so two new screens both original Lexus parts and no problems 

I'd be inclined to simply phone your local NFU place / broker / NFU Office and ask them outright what their process would be in these circumstances

I understand the NFU are exceptional with their Clients and will pull out all the stops for a super customer experience ... and I'm not being flippant here, my niece works for NFU and this is their professional ethos 

............. unlike other brokers I have direct and unhappy experience of  ..... those Fluxie Aids guys  ......  YUK 😭

Malc

Derant we’re in the same region. TVM for sharing your experiences which have further brought me calm!

Malc, I’ve got all my insurance eggs in the NFU because of their exemplary service. I’m hoping they’ll give me a repeat prescription when I talk to them tomorrow.

Thanks gentlemen for your positivity.

Kind regards,

peteTP

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

One thing to be careful of is if you have the HUD then the windscreen is different - make sure whoever is fitting it knows this so they get the right one.

Both companies that replaced my screen contacted me beforehand to check if I had HUD as it is different.

• 2 weeks later...

By way of update…..I’m awaiting an update!!

Autoglass still trying to confirm/authorise OE windscreen replacement!!😡 Good news is that it will set me back a mere 70 earth pounds!!

• Like 1

Had the screen replaced in my RC. Took nearly six weeks to source an OEM screen from Lexus EU. The fitter, a mature chap of very many years experience, said he has only ever fitted OEM screens to Lexus cars.

cost to me was also just the £70 excess.

17 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Had the screen replaced in my RC. Took nearly six weeks to source an OEM screen from Lexus EU. The fitter, a mature chap of very many years experience, said he has only ever fitted OEM screens to Lexus cars.

cost to me was also just the £70 excess.

More reassuring words; many thanks. Patience is an imperative I’m increasingly thinking!!

Well would you Adam’n’Eve it?  Just had a call (3.10 pm on Sunday!) from a lady at Autoglass to make a booking to fit the OE windscreen. All booked in at their Cambridge facility. Hurrah!!

Will provide update when done. Thanks to all those who have generously contributed to this thread; much appreciated.

PeteTP

• Like 2

I had the windscreen replaced in my GS in June by Allglass which I think it's a subsidiary of Autoglass. I don't know if they fitted an OEM windscreen but they did a great job and no issues whatsoever. I forgot to mention that the guy attempted to repair the crack as it was really tiny, but he made it worst and he needed to replace the entire windscreen. Anyway by the way he put pressure on the crack after attempting to repair it, I had the feeling he wanted to make it worst so that the replacement was needed and more profit for the company. I may be wrong but in these cases when the insurance company pays, Autoglass may try to make the most profit by replacing the entire windscreen. I didn't investigate further as I didn't have to pay anything.

Only way round the whole issue of Insurers not paying in full if you choose to insist on a genuine Lexus part is to go with Lexus Insurance Services who would have no option but to pay for a genuine OEM part.

1 minute ago, SH20 said:

Only way round the whole issue of Insurers not paying in full if you choose to insist on a genuine Lexus part is to go with Lexus Insurance Services who would have no option but to pay for a genuine OEM part.

SAGA paid in full i.e. I didn't pay more than my excess of £70, which I think is pretty standard across insurers and still payable even if a pattern screen is fitted.

Glad to say that I’m going on Monday to have OEM windscreen fitted with just £50 excess to pay. If that comes to pass as promised I shall be both delighted AND relieved.

Will report back…

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links