Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Finally swambo managed to assassin my pride and joy 😪

Just this morning dropped her Avensis at the body shop for a new rear bumper after some old gent driven his SUV into her while she was parked in town.

The chap paid us £686 for the work done today. As swambo needed a car for work she took the IS and when she got back home managed to scrape the front left bumper against the stone wall (we have an awkward off-street parking space and a narrow road with cars parked opposite on the road so can't blame her).

As I am going to the body shop to pick up her car at the weekend, I thought I'll show them my damage. The only thing, I am not sure what this part of the bumper is called?! It's the bottom part of the bumper just under the fog light, and it got separated a bit due to a plastic pin shearing off. I dread to think how much they will want for buffing the scratches and paint it 🤔

IS3.jpg

IS2.jpg

IS1.jpg

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Thelongterm said:

The only thing, I am not sure what this part of the bumper is called?!  I dread to think how much they will want for buffing the scratches and paint it 🤔

It's like a bumper "lip" if you can call it that on a factory bumper.. I snapped mine some time ago too due to being lowered. I looked at getting new ones (it's a two piece part) but at £137 for new ones I just went for a full aftermarket lip..

Here's a link to what you might need > https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153497034041

You might be able to get away with just screwing it back on with self tappers as look it just ripped the bolts/clip out. HOWEVER, it might be cracked or the bodyshop will not want to repair it for whatever reason and you'll just have to end up buying new ones and get them painted anyway. 

As for buffing those scratches out - no chance. That will be a full respray and filler job, you can see on pictures alone they are very deep scrapes. 

Yeah - I would call it "lip", the correct Lexus term is "front spoiler, cover" 76851-53010 D0.

I had this exact thing painted and it was £150 (bumper) +£20 (one side of the lip). I got used piece of lip for £40. Although in your case I don't see why you need to replace it - it is screwed in, not clipped in. There are like rails to align it, but not clips - so really nothing to break.

I would go further and say that I wouldn't even bother painting the lip - fix the bumper, because that is visible and leave the lip as it is, maybe touch-it up and that is it. It is hard to see it as it is almost under the bumper. Although if they can spay it at the same time for £20 like in my case I guess it does not hurt. 

image.png.8d66dd1a8466a78361c6062e072c8b2b.png

1 hour ago, H3XME said:

As for buffing those scratches out - no chance. That will be a full respray and filler job, you can see on pictures alone they are very deep scrapes. 

I am sure that was joke 😄 

Oh dear that is a mess. Ideally the whole bumper needs taking off. The lip can be put back in place with self tapping screws though something looks distorted in the bumper. A rub down with different grades of wet n dry then primed and painted. 

Leaving the bumper on the car makes the repairs and painting awkward.

Oh and for the record I bought genuine lexus lip for my car and yes it's in 2 parts and yes expensive but it came colour matched painted. The 2 parts clip together and there are a number of tongues which clip into the bumper lower. I found that once clipped in it was solid. Only needed a self tapper at each end.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Linas.P said:

I am sure that was joke 😄 

🤣well okay, maybe I was too negative with the filler but it definitely needs a respray, it's beyond machine polisher. 

3 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Oh dear that is a mess. Ideally the whole bumper needs taking off. The lip can be put back in place with self tapping screws though something looks distorted in the bumper. A rub down with different grades of wet n dry then primed and painted. 

Oh and for the record I bought genuine lexus lip for my car and yes it's in 2 parts and yes expensive but it came colour matched painted. The 2 parts clip together and there are a number of tongues which clip into the bumper lower. I found that once clipped in it was solid. Only needed a self tapper at each end.

Thanks Mr V, yes the lip is intact but needs to be wakked into place and secured with a new plastic pin. As to the cosmetics, I am seeing the body shop tomorrow and see what he wants to do, I trust the guy will want a few hundreds for this but I can't be choosy as we few of these shops around here and some of those are cowboys.

That's ok Danny. It's good you've found a trusted body shop. And yes there's too many cowboys. I too have a trusted body shop I've used for near 10 years. 2 years ago when I got my 250 it had oh so many scratches which would have put buyers off but not me because of my trusted body shop. They rectified the paint as far as they could leaving about 5% which could only be done by painting. 200 quid is all I was charged for a full day's rubbing and polishing. So yes I'd have thought 300 quid for your issue is about the ball park. 

We'd like to know what your guy does if you would. 

1 minute ago, Mr Vlad said:

That's ok Danny. It's good you've found a trusted body shop. And yes there's too many cowboys. I too have a trusted body shop I've used for near 10 years. 2 years ago when I got my 250 it had oh so many scratches which would have put buyers off but not me because of my trusted body shop. They rectified the paint as far as they could leaving about 5% which could only be done by painting. 200 quid is all I was charged for a full day's rubbing and polishing. So yes I'd have thought 300 quid for your issue is about the ball park. 

We'd like to know what your guy does if you would. 

Yes, will pop a photo of the finished article 👍

4 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Any half reasonable body shop would remove it.

Yes there is distortion around the fog light, but that should not be a problem - little bit heat from the heat gun and it could be flexed back to shape.

I would advise using original crips with screws rather than self-tappers, but in the pinch that works as well. 

You're missing the bottom lip. I didn't realise when I bought mine and looked at others that's why I bought from Lexus Parts Direct. No faffing about but knowing it'd fit properly without any tweeking etc.

• 1 month later...

Ok, finally managed to get to the shop to get the damage fixed, £288 later and you can't tell it ever happened. £288 included a car wash and wax plus a lift to and from the shop, these lads know what they are doing. Very pleased.

image.thumb.jpeg.8c062ff9ef9091f8d70ee2795ee46f93.jpeg

• Like 2

On 11/3/2022 at 8:33 PM, Thelongterm said:

Ok, finally managed to get to the shop to get the damage fixed, £288 later and you can't tell it ever happened. £288 included a car wash and wax plus a lift to and from the shop, these lads know what they are doing. Very pleased.

image.thumb.jpeg.8c062ff9ef9091f8d70ee2795ee46f93.jpeg

Super job ideed. Looks great! Lovely colour too. I think quite rare for the 4 door saloons?

On 9/10/2022 at 1:41 AM, J Henderson said:

Nope. @markeyszoo has an 09+ facelift car. The bumper is all one piece.

This is interesting. My car also has no lip and looks the same as @markeyszoo. But my car is 2005.🤔

It means a previous owner facelifted the car. Interesting indeed. Have the car for over a year and never noticed or gave thought to that. Looking at the 2005 and 2009 bumpers the are so similar. The 2011 is visibly distinct. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links