Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How bad is the sat nav in a 2010 car ?

Heading to Leeds town centre Sat and judging by comments I've read on here its not to be trusted, or is it ?

Would use phone usually, but that's on the blink

Never used the sat nav since i bought it in Feb.

Cheers. 

Cannot answer about a 2010 car, but the navigation in our CT is not worth using. Even though we had the navigation updated by Lexus 2 years ago it does not know the shortest way around the island where we live.

Any smartphone will have a better navigation system in it and updates are regular and free. With Lexus there is no such thing as free updates of the navigation system for our old cars.

Apart from the fact my maps are 12 years old, it works fine in my experience.

It displays the route you have to take, visually, and warns you of any impending junctions and lane changes etc. 

I'm not sure what else people need from a sat-nav for it to have such a terrible reputation.

• Like 2

Hi Guys

I have a 2007 SC430 and when I bought the car 2 years ago the sat nav disc in the boot was the original one.

It found it frustrating at times being woefully out of date when in certain areas like cities or new traffic lights and new roundabouts.

I was told that if I went too new the system would struggle to understand the new technology the disc would contain. Bearing this in mind I went as new as I dared and fitted a 2017/2018 disc.

Screenshot_20220923-050905_eBay.thumb.jpg.77487ced5550ff98cf255425fec937bb.jpg

The result was worth it, although it is not as good, instant or up to date like using Google Maps on my phone.

It now gives me two options and I make my choice after consideration if my journey would benefit from Google maps.

Good luck, Anthony 

I have a 2009 car and can't comment on the accuracy of the sat nav,  as I found it too awkward to use and so have always stuck to waze/google maps.

Since covid, a lot of roads have been blocked/restricted in London, and so I suspect older maps may struggle. I don't know about Leeds though. Would probably be ok for a one off trip until you get your phone sorted, but pack an A-Z just in case 🙂

17 hours ago, J Henderson said:

Apart from the fact my maps are 12 years old, it works fine in my experience.

It displays the route you have to take, visually, and warns you of any impending junctions and lane changes etc. 

I'm not sure what else people need from a sat-nav for it to have such a terrible reputation.

That you have to spell country and then city each time before getting to street etc. where you want to go is completely waste of time, especially when a smartphone will automaticcally search for nearest street with the name you are searching for, from where you are right now. Navigating in the alphabeth with the mouse is pretty awkward. I find that very little efficient.

First navigation I had in a car (Becker) not hundred years ago, but very long time - definitely more than 20 years, was smarter. It could find a very little, narrow street (think it is less than 100 m) in Madrid and direct me from Denmark there in one go and did not lose address when fueling or eating on the way.

Sean. If you're going to Leeds Forget the cars satnav. Use Google. Why? Because Leeds City centre is an #ffing nightmare. Loads of what's called Bus Gate. How do I know? I deliver there at least 3 times a week. I'm not sure there's a park and ride but I'd park The Crown Point shopping centre. From there it's about a 10 min walk to city centre or get a taxi.

Thanks all,

Vlad, im heading to the Leeds armouries, dont look too bad on the maps.

Just tried the sat nav, typed in my home address whilst at work and its a 25 min drive. From the start it was annoying. It was obsessed with taking me home away that i would never go. So obsessed that it was even telling me to do a U turn when i was nearly home. It did not even tell me to turn into my road, kept telling me to take right and lefts to side streets that lead to nowhere. At one point pulled over to re-set and it was still ****

Wonder if somethings wrong with it or i typed something in wrong, dunno.

Will do it the old fashioned way and just write the directions down and take it from there.

My phone is no good either, i use Siri. Often had me going in the total wrong direction lol

Il get there, eventually.

In principle Sat Nav is junk on mk2 regardless of the year, but putting it into perspective - if we take the best sat nav ever fitted to the car then it would still be maybe 4/10 compared to simple google maps or waze on the phone. So yes mk2 sat nav is 2/10 and mk3 maybe 3/10, but it is moot point - any integrated sat navs are junk compared to "live" navigation from google. So in principle the only way to have good sat nav is either Android Auto or apple carplay... and in some rare occasions cars came out with google maps already integrated.

I only ever use car sat nav when driving long distances - like London to Edinburg, or London to Rome - basically it just points to general direction and that is good enough. But even then as soon as there is some traffic on the road it is always better to switch to phone as it will show fasters route, because it correctly predicts traffic, whereas even best built in sat nav does not.

I gave it another chance, 

Set off to Leeds ok and it was going fine down the M62, it was even warning may of lane closure's that were accurate.

I thought its actually ok but then once i arrived at Leeds it was telling me to go a different way to what i had jotted down the previous evening.

I just ignored it and went the correct way, it then kept on telling me to head to the M1

At that point i just wanted turn it off.

Its terrible, the worst i have ever used. Hope the new cars have something better.

Got a new phone now so will just use that in future.

Thanks all!

• Like 2

Hi Sean. I'm assuming you live East of Leeds. M62 then M1 but only for about a mile then the M621. Anyway you gotta here. Hope you had a good visit and it was worth the trip.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links