Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New RC F Owner - hello hello!

Hey all, thought I'd say hello as I picked up a used RC F at the weekend.

image.thumb.jpeg.e1e1a45989e63b8444439736e07b2447.jpeg 

Does anyone know the name of the paint? I assumed it was sonic grey, but not sure?

My first sports car, very pleased. Considered many many cars before choosing this one. What a car!

Let me know if there is anything you particularly recommend when getting a used 2015 RC F?

Mine has 70k miles, all lexus services except the last service. Is it worth me getting it serviced at Lexus to get the warranty, do I understand that right?

I know I just missed a car meet, will have to say hello at the next one.

• Like 7

Oh another question I forgot - am I crazy or is there no way to increase the cruise incrementally via the stick? It seems to works a tad different to most, where you can only set the speed you're at, rather than increase or decrease using the stick like you might on other cars?

Welcome! Congrats on a beauty of a beast 😛

I think it's Mercury Grey, maybe another owner can confirm or correct me!

Personally think it is worth getting it serviced with Lexus to extend the warranty.

Owners seem to like - new exhaust for more V8 goodness, wheel spacers, lowering, lower dust brake pads and maybe some body styling additions. Each to their own taste of course 🙂

You should be able to set the cruise control with the stalk and increase and decrease the speed as well. Depending whether you are in 'normal' or 'radar', it will move in singular increments or bumps of 5mph. If you have the handbook, should give you a simple outline too.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome!

As Kieran says, the cruise stalk does increase/decrease speed, its just not obvious until the speed actually changes if that makes sense? I know what you mean, as my wife's Mazda will show you the speed you have set as well as current speed on speedo.

The Lex just shows your current speed...as does every car on the planet haha

Can't help with paint I am afraid. You will prob find the 2015 colour palette using Google.

• Like 1

Hello and nice car! This is one of my favourite colours although I ended up getting a white one.

22 hours ago, k80 said:

My first sports car

It's not a sports car 😛 but I know what you mean, your first performance car?

I've had mine for just over a year and it's my second performance car, but my first RWD car with more than ~200 bhp (a lot more!).

Cruise control does show your target speed to the left of the speedo, I think? If you have radar cruise control you only get 5mph increments for some reason. I use it sometimes, but it can be a bit frustrating around traffic.

If you want to keep the car in tip-top condition there are a few things that are generally seen as a good idea to get done more frequently than Lexus suggest, like the transmission fluid, coolant, more frequent oil changes. I'd recommend running it exclusively on super unleaded petrol as well (98 RON or above) to help ensure you're getting the full power and torque.

Enjoy it and don't be shy with the car, drive it hard, it can take it!

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 3:51 PM, k80 said:

Does anyone know the name of the paint? I assumed it was sonic grey, but not sure?

If you look on the door jambs of either the driver’s or passenger’s door, you should see a label.  After the letters CT/R comes a three or four digit code.  This is the code for the exterior paint - unless its been resprayed!

Any Lexus (or Toyota) dealer can give you the paint reference with that information.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

These are the colour codes and names available on the UK RC F between 2014-17:

image.thumb.png.2233984a1f30763738655ed1eddc8a2d.png

Mines 217 starlight black which is OEM colour and not listed in the above list, so still a possibility other colours have a different shade colour to above list…

52 minutes ago, mr2lad said:

Mines 217 starlight black which is OEM colour and not listed in the above list, so still a possibility other colours have a different shade colour to above list…

Of course it would be, can't just be like the rest of us 😛

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mr2lad said:

Yeah that is a mistake in the brochure. 223 wasn't offered on the RC F from the factory in any country at that time, it is 217. The Lexus UK name for 217 is Celestial Black, Starlight Black is the US name.

The others are correct and the only ones offered by the factory until MY18. Then both blacks were dropped and replaced with 223, and the yellow became available.

On 9/28/2022 at 12:56 PM, BillNick said:

Hi and welcome!

As Kieran says, the cruise stalk does increase/decrease speed, its just not obvious until the speed actually changes if that makes sense? I know what you mean, as my wife's Mazda will show you the speed you have set as well as current speed on speedo.

The Lex just shows your current speed...as does every car on the planet haha

Can't help with paint I am afraid. You will prob find the 2015 colour palette using Google.

Oh, hmm. I will have to experiment further! I am used to being able to increase it and you get some feedback on the dash, but I guess I will try to monitor to see if my speed itself changes then? Thanks for the tip

On 9/28/2022 at 1:50 PM, Rob RCF said:

It's not a sports car 😛 but I know what you mean, your first performance car?

I've had mine for just over a year and it's my second performance car, but my first RWD car with more than ~200 bhp (a lot more!).

Cruise control does show your target speed to the left of the speedo, I think? If you have radar cruise control you only get 5mph increments for some reason. I use it sometimes, but it can be a bit frustrating around traffic.

If you want to keep the car in tip-top condition there are a few things that are generally seen as a good idea to get done more frequently than Lexus suggest, like the transmission fluid, coolant, more frequent oil changes. I'd recommend running it exclusively on super unleaded petrol as well (98 RON or above) to help ensure you're getting the full power and torque.

Enjoy it and don't be shy with the car, drive it hard, it can take it!

Think the sports car bit is subjective and quite honestly, who cares, but yep, you seem to understood what I mean - something fun to drive. I am suppper pleased with my choice.

Really good tips about the servicing, will probably get a big service sorted with transmission soon due to mileage. I already exclusively run only shell or bp "pricey petrol" as I call it. However, I don't drive hard a lot to be honest, pretty sure the power is lost on me a bit, but I honestly don't give a monkeys! Probably I'll slowly get braver and braver, haha. What I love is you can drive this car so smooth and gentle in eco and it can be a "normal" car. 

Thank you for the warm welcome, all! My cousin sent me the brochure as a gift, so it does indeed seem likely that the colour is Mercury Grey. Cool tip about checking inside the door for the paint code, that's the kind of nerdery I joined a forum for, appreciate it 🙂 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 1:45 AM, k80 said:

P.S. I swear to God those aren't my tyre marks hahaha

Ha, I believe you, RCF tyres are a lot wider than those marks!

You must be the first person I've heard of with an RCF who "doesn't give a monkeys" about the performance and enjoys driving it in eco! Fair enough, I certainly don't drive mine hard all the time either. But when you get a nice open road with nothing in front of you it's so fun to just pin the throttle down for that rush of acceleration and noise. If you get the chance to keep going into some higher speeds it's really impressive how the car just keeps pulling and pulling.

The most fun/engaging way of driving the car is in full manual mode, but I'm sure you know that already. You don't need to be too worried about losing the back end since the traction control will kick in if the car starts to slide, although you can completely disable it by holding the button down. "Expert Mode" is a nice balance as it allows the wheels to slip a bit, but will still kick in to save you if you start getting too sideways.

4 hours ago, Rob RCF said:

The most fun/engaging way of driving the car is in full manual mode, but I'm sure you know that already. You don't need to be too worried about losing the back end since the traction control will kick in if the car starts to slide, although you can completely disable it by holding the button down. "Expert Mode" is a nice balance as it allows the wheels to slip a bit, but will still kick in to save you if you start getting too sideways.

I can attest to this first hand!  Just make sure you brace your neck for the brutal kick as it hits full acceleration 🙂

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rob RCF said:

You must be the first person I've heard of with an RCF who "doesn't give a monkeys" about the performance and enjoys driving it in eco!

I'm half and half; eco mode is great for motorway cruising and an easy 32+ mpg, whilst I really love the performance when nobody is looking

• Like 1

I didn't mean to imply I never push my foot flat to the floor 😂 I just don't feel a need to do it at every opportunity. I'm a fairly sensible driver overall is all I meant and I will probably take my sweet, safe time before really testing my cars capabilities. This car drives lovely at cruise/eco and not all fast cars feel so comfortable, so I was complimenting it on that 👌

• Like 4

On 10/1/2022 at 1:35 AM, k80 said:

Oh, hmm. I will have to experiment further! I am used to being able to increase it and you get some feedback on the dash, but I guess I will try to monitor to see if my speed itself changes then? Thanks for the tip

I've just re-read this reply, you should be getting a visual confirmation on your dash that the cruise control is ready/ active and to say what speed the cruise control is at/ what you have adjusted it to?!

It should appear on the left side of the instrument cluster, I would say that it's possible your seating/ steering wheel position may obscure your view, only because I can't see my indicator flash sometimes due to my positioning.

1 hour ago, hockeyedwards said:

I've just re-read this reply, you should be getting a visual confirmation on your dash that the cruise control is ready/ active and to say what speed the cruise control is at/ what you have adjusted it to?!

It should appear on the left side of the instrument cluster, I would say that it's possible your seating/ steering wheel position may obscure your view, only because I can't see my indicator flash sometimes due to my positioning.

Huh. Really?! All I see is it say "SET" when I've set it. I don't see any special speed number for the cruise.

17 hours ago, k80 said:

Huh. Really?! All I see is it say "SET" when I've set it. I don't see any special speed number for the cruise.

Potentially different display parameters between the GS and RC, maybe I have naively presumed they would be the exact same system!

You should definitely see the speed displayed somewhere. I think there's a cruise control "tab" and  you get to it by pressing left or right on the steering wheel. But you shouldn't need to, I'm sure it switches to it automatically when you turn on cruise control.

From the manual:

1. Press the ON/OFF button (on the end of the lever) to activate cruise control.
  2. Push the lever down to "SET" your current speed.
  3. Push the lever up or down to increase or decrease your speed.

I'd recommend reading the manual for more detail, it does have a few nuanced features, especially if you have dynamic radar cruise control.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links