Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering feels heavy

Hi, hope your all well,

I am new to this group, I have a Lexus is300h 2015, the steering wheels heavy than usual, I’ve got all it checked shockers, ball joints etc all seems fine, also when driving on uneven roads there’s a rattling sound coming from the front, any ideas? Your advice is much appreciated. Thank you

You have checked the tyre pressures haven't you?

If you have and they're alright, see if there are any OBD codes flagged up. The power steering is driven by a 48V electric motor so if anything is going wrong with that or its ECU, hopefully there'll be codes generated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Just Mab said:

Hi, hope your all well,

I am new to this group, I have a Lexus is300h 2015, the steering wheels heavy than usual, I’ve got all it checked shockers, ball joints etc all seems fine, also when driving on uneven roads there’s a rattling sound coming from the front, any ideas? Your advice is much appreciated. Thank you

A long shot, but if you have the car in sports mode, the steering is heavier. Compared to lots of other cars, I've never considered my steering (out of sports mode!) to be heavy, so if it's not something simple like pressures or mode, there could well be a problem ...

• Like 2

Thanks for your replies, tyre pressure is all on 36, wheel alignment is spot on, driving car on normal mode, regarding the OBD reading I haven’t done yet as there is no EML on. But will give it a go… also the rattle when driving on uneven surfaces is very strange as everything seems to be in good shape.

thank you 

also when driving on uneven roads there’s a rattling sound coming from the front, any ideas?

It can be a little difficult in a hybrid but try applying the brakes (press just enough to go beyond the electric regenerative braking and engage the mechanical brakes) to see if that stops the rattle. If you ball joints and shocks are okay then it is probably just the brake pads moving/knocking within the callipers - if it is that then maybe a clip is missing or the pads just been a bit of brake grease on the edges to stop the noise.

Hi Collin thank you for your reply, I have had the brakes and everything on them lines all checked tightened greased etc but the rattle still there on uneven surfaces.. losing faith in the IS now 😔

Hi Collin thank you for your reply, I have had the brakes and everything on them lines all checked tightened greased etc but the rattle still there on uneven surfaces.. losing faith in the IS now 😔

well just try braking when the rattle occurs to rule out the brakes - it has to be something: suspension strut, broken spring, ball joint, brake pads/calliper, exhaust heat shield.

Has a Lexus dealer checked it, or an independent? They should be able to find the cause with a test drive, vehicle lift and a mallet.

• Thanks 1

Re the rattle look for a loose exhaust heat sheild. Start from the manifold and get under the car & try moving it by hand there should be no play corrosion eats it away and causes movement. Iv had this issue on plenty of cars have ripped it off & continued my journey. Just dont park on grass if the heat sheild is missing risk of fire. If your real OCD it usually takes a biggeer washer to tighten back up. 

*** & dont touch the exhaust when its hot ***

dont ask me how I know about this :yes:

Failing that check any components in the engine bay i.e loose air filter box. Anything loose? 

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all with your advice, I did have it looked at everything seems fine but going to go again and pin point the area’s you guys have says, hopefully that will be the issue resolved, thank you so much for your help. Will update as soon as I’ve had it looked at again 💙

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, sorry I’ve took so long to give you guys a update on the rattle sound coming from front end.. after your feed back I took it back to the garage and it was the brake pads that was rattling so I changed them.. I will never use apec pads again as the guy at the garage says a lot of people come in with the same situation and same make pads rattling. Thank you all for your help…

on another note my steering is still heavy and makes a meow noise randomly, steering rack everything been checked all ok, any ideas? Your help and advice is truly appreciated 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links