Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The future for electric cars - Citroen Oli

First_Lexus

3 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

Yes Bernard but you are buying the hangman's noose with which they will eventually hang you. 🙁

A very good friend of mine who has been working with cars more than 30 years bought a MG EHS plug-in hybrid in 2021 and though it has a good British name for a car it come from China. When he tells me it is good and very well-built car, I believe him. He has had most of the Toyota 4x4 cars (he has horses driving around with them) and one of them was a Landcruiser top of the line 2005, think it was a V8, which I liked, even though I dislike such big clumsy cars. The MG has more gadgets installed, and all the extras are in first quality he has told me. With his own solar cells on top of the garage he drives without gasoline almost constant and only need the hybrid when driving on long tours. When he says so about a car it is quality; and if not, he would have had it less than half a year.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

I have been diving 2 of the air suspended Citroëns. Only one was mine. Though they could cross the river in high position without us getting wet feet (we sometimes did that in a R4) and the car were extremely comfortable, the one we had was in workshop to get it fixed twice (only had the car half a year) the other a friend had was being fixed rather often. Maybe roads and tracks in Africa are not the place for such cars. A Peugeot 604 never had a problem with same roads.

Chris sounds rather combative this morning 😊, wonder if he had three Shredded Wheat for breakfast 🤔😂

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

A very good friend of mine who has been working with cars more than 30 years bought a MG EHS plug-in hybrid in 2021 and though it has a good British name for a car it come from China. When he tells me it is good and very well-built car, I believe him. He has had most of the Toyota 4x4 cars (he has horses driving around with them) and one of them was a Landcruiser top of the line 2005, think it was a V8, which I liked, even though I dislike such big clumsy cars. The MG has more gadgets installed, and all the extras are in first quality he has told me. With his own solar cells on top of the garage he drives without gasoline almost constant and only need the hybrid when driving on long tours. When he says so about a car it is quality; and if not, he would have had it less than half a year.

Another good report concerning the Chinese MG.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Friend of mine has one too, he loves it his wife hates it. Main issue is the limited range and slow charging. And yes he is a bit of a cheapy only charges when his solar panels give enough power which sometimes leaves the car sitting outside with a range of 15km. Thats the moment his wife explodes as she has to take the 20+ year old Yaris ( that never ever in all those years set a foot wrong).  

15 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

when his solar panels

he's possibly fortunate to have these installed ..  i know I'm not allowed as i live in a Conservation Area ...  and on a double yellowed line high street and limited parking access at the rear .  so I'm never going to be able to have a EV methinks .  nor do i wish for one either ( at this time )

A local MP was and still is I guess, trying to tell the UK that Solar Panels come from China ........  are we too dependent on China one wonders !

We never hear about the source of our solar panels ......... do we ??

Malc

45 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

Friend of mine has one too, he loves it his wife hates it. Main issue is the limited range and slow charging. And yes he is a bit of a cheapy only charges when his solar panels give enough power which sometimes leaves the car sitting outside with a range of 15km. Thats the moment his wife explodes as she has to take the 20+ year old Yaris ( that never ever in all those years set a foot wrong).  

My Pal who lives in Shetland has one Bernard and is very pleased with it.

52 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

he's possibly fortunate to have these installed ..  i know I'm not allowed as i live in a Conservation Area ...  and on a double yellowed line high street and limited parking access at the rear .  so I'm never going to be able to have a EV methinks .  nor do i wish for one either ( at this time )

A local MP was and still is I guess, trying to tell the UK that Solar Panels come from China ........  are we too dependent on China one wonders !

Malc

i thought you could always make the choice yourself, cheaper from china or more expensive from for instance germany?

26 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I think the people that own one just like the car it does what they expect and is not too expensive. A bit like a washing machine really.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Spock66 said:

They just need to add an electric MGB to the portfolio.

Heathen 🤯

42 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Car or pony? Do tell 😊

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

I refer my honourable friend to a response I gave to Bernard some hours ago. I also know John being of certain vintage you will recall those Japanese motorcycles imported in the 1960's and then cars and impact on the UK manufacturing base 🍻

19 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

I refer my honourable friend to a response I gave to Bernard some hours ago. I also know John being of certain vintage you will recall those Japanese motorcycles imported in the 1960's and then cars and impact on the UK manufacturing base 🍻

The Japanese started production here, Nissan, Honda, Toyota all have several factories all over the UK and the continent. Question is will the Chinese open up shop as well or will they remain within China? Any thoughts?

21 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Your response was noted Sir.

I certainly do recall those imports and the subsequent demise of the U.K. manufacturing base which sadly was unable to respond to the challenge for a whole host of reasons. We didn`t even finish second in what was then, a two horse race !

I bought my first "foreign" car on H Day 1969 and have never bought anything else since.

16 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

The Japanese started production here, Nissan, Honda, Toyota all have several factories all over the UK and the continent. Question is will the Chinese open up shop as well or will they remain within China? Any thoughts?

Honda has withdrawn from U.K. Production and China will produce in any Country which allows it, I believe Bernard.

2 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

Some have bigger solar cells than others. More power faster = charging.

50 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

Well they already own, London (Black cabs) Taxis, Volvo, Lotus, so who knows? Oh, and Sunseeker boats 😱

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Malc

Most solar cells come from China. Just like most batteries for EV cars. Are we dependent on China when it comes to new batteries as they are known not to last forever?

1 hour ago, Las Palmas said:

Most solar cells come from China. Just like most batteries for EV cars. Are we dependent on China when it comes to new batteries as they are known not to last forever?

I am more concerned with their manufacturing hold on pharmaceutical 🤯

2 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

I am more concerned with their manufacturing hold on pharmaceutical 🤯

I'm rather concerned on their human rights thoughtfulness .......... in producing all this stuff that we keep buying and thereby supporting their ethos generally

Malc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

I'm rather concerned on their human rights thoughtfulness .......... in producing all this stuff that we keep buying and thereby supporting their ethos generally

Malc

I could not agree more malc but the irony is that we, the western consumers, are creating this ourselves. Everything has to be cheap and then cheaper. Jeans for a tenner, kids toys are imported by the shiploads just like basically everything else. We order and China produces. Also in automotive. Carparts, electronics everything. Funny thing is that pricing of some of the new Chinese EVs is not as cheap as you might expect. Think China, you expect cheap nothing else really

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

I could not agree more malc but the irony is that we, the western consumers, are creating this ourselves. Everything has to be cheap and then cheaper. Jeans for a tenner, kids toys are imported by the shiploads just like basically everything else. We order and China produces. Also in automotive. Carparts, electronics everything. Funny thing is that pricing of some of the new Chinese EVs is not as cheap as you might expect. Think China, you expect cheap nothing else really

I think Bernard that hopefully people in the West are beginning to wake up and smell the chop-suey. Fascinating how devotion to the new religion of climate change is bankrupting the West with the consumption of "green energy" products made in China who are opening coal fired power stations daily. We need to redefine the definition of insanity. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/3/2022 at 10:58 AM, dutchie01 said:

Or will it be the reverse? BMW are shifting electric Mini production from Cowley to China.

On 11/3/2022 at 10:35 AM, Phil xxkr said:

Do you mean these? Some of them are still driving around here on the island, so they must be pretty reliable. Think this one is from 196?

Bonhams : 1965 Honda 49cc CZ100 'Monkey Bike' Frame no ... or    image.thumb.png.75cabc74985a199cff177cbf69137b7b.png

A neighbour had a Honda coupé more or less like this one and also a rather old Accord 197?. The Accord was smaller than the Civic of today. He was using the Accord daily but the coupé only when it was Sunday or a special day. Both looked good.

• Like 3

There is a retro fitted electric converted MGB and this example makes great sense. Just as much range. Handles the same. Power however. The power is around 3 times and makes the MGB a proper MGB. Other small old British sports cars would benefit from electric conversion. Me? I'd love the money to have a Rover SD1 V8 converted to a 5 litre V10. Sacrilege I know but that's my ultimate car.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links