Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone use S mode on gearbox?

I am aware of the S mode but not quite sure what it is - the manual doesn’t say much either

i tried it for a short period today amd couldn’t really tell the difference, except that it seemed to not go into EV mode at all?

Could someone explain the difference from D mode and what circumstances are better to use S mode?

Thanks in advance!

Using S mode set by the transmission selector enables one to use the steering wheel paddle shifters to select the (artificial ) gear range, jut as if one was driving a manual transmission car.

The car will intervene if one tries to change at too high or too low a speed and (in my RC at least) would change down automatically to prevent the engine labouring. 

I used the S transmission mode to allow me to "down-shift" in preparation to overtake. The engine revs rise and acceleration is more urgent. The 'gear' changes are very PlayStation like, instantaneous, very responsive. It's fun but not really in character with the car, IMHO. Mostly though I just let the car sort it all out whilst in full Auto D mode.

Both my handbooks (for the RC and the RX) are quite detailed in explaining the difference between S mode transmission and S drive  mode  and the use of the addles in each setting.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tel said:

S -Mode affects steering ,firms suspension ,alters gearing.

AVS is awesome.

Tel

Has it changed with the new models as S transmission mode only changes the transmission, the S drive mode changes the steering, suspension etc on my cars?

7 hours ago, Tel said:

Assume S on non- AVS cars is The Snow Mode then where engine revs are restricted in the lower gears.?

Tel

Nope, on my NX 300h S mode is sports mode. 
Shifting the gear lever to the right it also puts the "gearbox" into manual S mode for the paddle shifters if you wish.
IIRC, the sports paddle "gearbox" feature can be used in all modes, eco/normal/sports.

The S transmission mode is not the same as the S (Sport) mode as selected with the dial. One can only engage the transmission S mode by moving the shift lever to the right whilst in D 

When putting the transmission in to S mode, assuming that you don’t use the paddles, doesn’t it just hold on to the “gears” longer (up to the red line?) before any changes, giving an associated bit extra performance for overtaking etc?

The difference between this and selecting Sports S mode via the dial being that it has no impact on throttle sensitivity and steering I believe?

2 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

The S transmission mode is not the same as the S (Sport) mode as selected with the dial. One can only engage the transmission S mode by moving the shift lever to the right whilst in D 

True, I was just stating that the S trans can be used in all 3 modes, and does not have to be exclusively with S mode.
My old Lancer GS4 with CVT only went into sports+ mode when the shifter was in "manual" 

When hybrid Battery is full and I put the CT in Sport mode it accelerates more or less like the Golf 2.0 tdi DSG in sport mode, and the Golf has a 2 L turbo diesel engine.

When the hybrid Battery is very soon empty, then the speed is no longer there.

Of course, the 3 L engine must be more fun.

S mode, as I can see, it's only a way to use "gears" like in manual gears cars,  but in our hybrids it is useful only to avoid in long downhill traits to have more engine braking ( like in smaller hybrids with "B" mode) downshifting; the real difference in performance is using Sport mode, accepting the fact you will burn more fuel. In Rx going to Sport mode (activated by centre knob) therma engine will be on for more time and at a lower speed, while electric engines will receive a higher V from Battery pack, being capable to deliver more power (and descharging Battery faster, so the need to have more charging from thermal engine).  S+ mode , if available, works on adaptive suspension  system .

• 1 month later...

Can someone clarify the function of the paddle shifters in D and S mode (450h+).  Do they effectively do the same thing?  I ask because I undertook my first road trip over Xmas which involved motorway driving.  When I tried to accelerate to join the motorway (in auto D) i just got lots of engine revs but virtually non-existent accleration.  The manual also suggests there should be a D range of 1-6 but I'm sure I only saw 1-4 when using the paddles (although S Mode was 1-6).

Thanks

5 hours ago, bgb said:

When I tried to accelerate to join the motorway (in auto D) i just got lots of engine revs but virtually non-existent accleration. 

The eCVT system does not have real gears. You have to consider taht thermal engine revs are linked to Power you ask, and are not linked with speed, if you require fast acceleration don't  care of engine revs and press the pedal , no fear to damage engine.

If it seems to you  that car is "slow" verify in which MODE it's set, and if it is in ECO switch to Normal or, wanting more in SPort mode.  I tried a NX 450+ and it's brilliant, with a 0-60 time of 6 seconds (or a little bit more).

I'm surprised at the experience of "lots of revs but virtually non-existent acceleration" if you are in HV mode then the acceleration is pretty good. Only in EV mode there is a bit of a "dead band" above approx 60 mph / 100 kph where the acceleration tails off a bit presumably due to a torque limitation of the electric motor(s).

On 12/29/2022 at 3:08 PM, bgb said:

Can someone clarify the function of the paddle shifters in D and S mode (450h+).  Do they effectively do the same thing?  I ask because I undertook my first road trip over Xmas which involved motorway driving.  When I tried to accelerate to join the motorway (in auto D) i just got lots of engine revs but virtually non-existent accleration.  The manual also suggests there should be a D range of 1-6 but I'm sure I only saw 1-4 when using the paddles (although S Mode was 1-6).

Thanks

So I've had chance to play around a bit and it seems the performance hit occurs when in Hold Chg mode i.e charging the Battery from the ice.  I can understand why that happens but it does seem to have a greater impact on performance than the equivalent mode in the BMW 330e I switched from.  In all other respects, the lexus is a superior vehicle.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links