Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New to Lexus…. a few questions.

Hi all

I’m new to Lexus. I’ve just bought a 2019 UX 250h F Sport with Takumi Pack from a main dealer. 20k mikes on the clock. 

A good first impression, but a couple of questions before asking the dealer.

1. The front parking camera has an area cut out so you can’t see the whole picture. Also the picture isn’t as clear as the rear camera, especially at night. Is this normal?

2. I’ve noticed an intermittent hum/vibration sound, as if the revs were over running, but they aren’t? Is this normal?

3. Can the kick function to open the boot work without unlocking the car first? I’ve tried but no success. I can’t open with the key button neither unless I unlock the car? Is this correct?

Thanks for helping a newbie 🙂 

Uncle Bod 

The cut-out in the front camera image is designed to discourage driving by viewing the image alone. The clarity should be the same as the rear, check it lens is clean and condensation free.

Regarding the kick function for the rear door, check the owner's handbook, the section covering customisable functions. It will show how/if this can be done. Might be a dealer only coding.

Thanks. Strange but understandable about the cut out for the camera. Other car manufacturers obviously don’t see this as an issue. I’ve cleaned the outside, but there may be condensation, I’ll check.

I’ve checked the car manual but it’s not exactly clear on whether the kick function should work without unlocking. I’ll check with the dealership. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Bod said:

I’ve checked the car manual but it’s not exactly clear on whether the kick function should work without unlocking. I’ll check with the dealership. 

On the RX you have to do it twice, once to unlock and then again to open.

Regards not being able to open the boot with the remote or via the button under the dash without unlocking first is a feature of all models as far as I know, including the revised 2023 spec.

Regarding number 3. Having the Takumi you will have this kick function. You may have to look in the settings or customization in the manual. This will also inform of the correct way to do the kick and where. Mind it doesn't work every time.

Thanks Brent

It does work, but only when the car is unlocked first.

In my previous SEAT Ateca, you could use the kick function to open the boot without having to unlock the car, making it easy to return with shopping and not looking for the key. 

On 11/19/2022 at 3:29 PM, Spock66 said:

On the RX you have to do it twice, once to unlock and then again to open.

On my 2021 RH450h f-Sport, the kick function works when the car is locked - it always just needs one kick

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ALAW said:

Regarding number 3. Having the Takumi you will have this kick function. You may have to look in the settings or customization in the manual. This will also inform of the correct way to do the kick and where. Mind it doesn't work every time.

1 hour ago, Neo_gsf said:

On my 2021 RH450h f-Sport, the kick function works when the car is locked - it always just needs one kick

Thanks.

Mine doesn't work if the car is locked, but does if it's unlocked?

Also, I can't use the key fob button unless the car is unlocked. If I push the button (with the car locked), I just hear a 'double beep' sound from inside the car? 

15 hours ago, ALAW said:

Interestingly, please see this thread (it works every time if you do it right 😉 )

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Neo_gsf said:

Interestingly, please see this thread (it works every time if you do it right 😉 )

Right. Excellent. I thought I was going mad. It's all in the technique.... of course! 🙂

I'll try it out.

Thanks.

22 minutes ago, Bill Dawes said:

My 2022 doesn't have the kick function so assume it was dropped sometime after the 2019 version, anyone know why?

Bill D.

Depends which model you have. I have a 2021 f-sport with Takumi pack which has the kick function 

On 11/21/2022 at 2:54 PM, Uncle Bod said:

Also, I can't use the key fob button unless the car is unlocked. If I push the button (with the car locked), I just hear a 'double beep' sound from inside the car? 

That is a dealer customisation.

Cannot remember if the kick function when locked is a in-car or dealer customisation, but it is possible as I've both of those functions enabled on my UX.

My UX is the Takumi, had a few posts about this earlier in the year when I was waiting delivery, seemed uncertain if kick feature was still fitted or not  but when I picked car up in July asked the dealer who said it wasn't anymore. Just to be sure I have tried it a few times but nothing, getting me wondering now if I do have it but need to set something.

Bill D.

58 minutes ago, Bill Dawes said:

My UX is the Takumi, had a few posts about this earlier in the year when I was waiting delivery, seemed uncertain if kick feature was still fitted or not  but when I picked car up in July asked the dealer who said it wasn't anymore. Just to be sure I have tried it a few times but nothing, getting me wondering now if I do have it but need to set something.

Bill D.

Is this a feature that would be itemised in the full spec for your car that can be accessed using the VIN as per the discussion in this thread: 

11 hours ago, Roger Bill said:

Is this a feature that would be itemised in the full spec for your car that can be accessed using the VIN as per the discussion in this thread: 

Yes - this is in my specification list:

image.thumb.png.dfacad69d42e2acc1b9621d45d880cdb.png

On 11/21/2022 at 3:44 PM, Uncle Bod said:

Right. Excellent. I thought I was going mad. It's all in the technique.... of course! 🙂

I'll try it out.

Thanks.

12 hours ago, Roger Bill said:

It worked. It's all in the technique. Kick, then step back..... 

Thanks again for sending this over!! 

38 minutes ago, Uncle Bod said:

It worked. It's all in the technique. Kick, then step back..... 

Thanks again for sending this over!! 

Hi Bill

Check the post above where it gives you the technique for "kicking". It worked. No need to unlock or push buttons. Kick and step back. Done 🙂 

On 11/19/2022 at 2:15 PM, Uncle Bod said:

Hi all

I’m new to Lexus. I’ve just bought a 2019 UX 250h F Sport with Takumi Pack from a main dealer. 20k mikes on the clock. 

Thanks for helping a newbie 🙂 

Uncle Bod 

Regarding the 1st question I also believe that is on purpose not to use the screen in order to drive the car or for privacy reasons, not to monitor the license plates of the car in front of you.

Regarding the 2nd question if by that you mean when you press the acceleration pedal sudden and hard yes it is normal, it is a kind of noise but it is normal because it gives you the max of acceleration instantly, mechanics can make a better explanation.

As for the 2nd question I am attaching a pdf file named “Lexus Personalized Settings” where under section 27 you can read that the kick-off  function, if present, it is programmable by the Dealer, sorry for the notes I marked them as a back up for my settings.

Lexus Personalized Settings.pdf

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links