Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

In praise of the RX3 450h

I've been absent a while...mea culpa!

I thought I had to post here after a remarkable journey today in my 450h which I've owned for almost 6 years now (still only 40K miles on the clock!), on a 2014 plate.

For those that know the Cotswolds, and in particular the Cooper's Hill area outside of Shurdington, you'll know Prinknash Abbey and the steep single track estate road down to the car park.  I took my family and a friend to early Mass at the Abbey, leaving just as the white stuff fell, from Cam, near Durlsey, not realising it was forecast to snow heavily, at 7:30am this morning.  All was well but on the M5 N, just as I came off for the A417 to Shurdington, the snow started to fall heavily with the thermometer registering zero.  I knew we were in trouble heading up the A46 (Cooper's Hill where the Glos "annual cheese rolling" competition is held on an unfeasibly steep hill) towards the narrow estate road dropping steeply down to the Abbey below, the old Abbey, the Grange about a mile down untreated single track lane).  The main road hadn't been gritted and was snow covered and treacherous. I decided that I'd be grown up and trust the snow setting on the management system which I rarely used before, preferring the  more macho approach of leaving all TC off and trying to control the car myself which I usually prefer doing in snow having lived and driven countless miles whilst living through NE Scotland winters.

Anyway, the first few hundred yards off the untreated main road, bad as it was, soon developed into a nightmare. The grip on summer tyres (avon ZX7s) wasn't great and with all the TC on in snow mode, and the electronic low ratio set in 1st, I let the car descend the perilous descent, too rapidly discovering that 2.2 tonnes plus 4 passengers was a recipe for loss of control rather sooner than expected despite my efforts.  Half of the 1/2 mile descent was sideways with me trying not to get the car wrapped around one of the many trees or banks and somehow we managed it, left the car in the car park near the cafe, discovering two other cars abandoned where people had decided to proceed on foot, which was by then, the wise decision so is what we did.  An hour later, we walked the half mile back in the worst snow fall I can remember for 10 years, by then 5 or 6 inches deep to a snow covered RX,  A chap with a late model Discovery attempted the climb back up to the main road and slipped backwards with all 4 tyres spinning but as we had no choice I left my passengers to walk up in case I rolled or crashed the car, set it in snow mode, clenched my cheeks (the other ones!) and with, I suspect, a not inconsiderable amount of divine intervention sailed up the hill without losing traction until I was at the main road when the rear let go and slow motion-esque slid towards the "Chorleys" sign post at the entrance but miraculously stopped an inch short of hitting it.  

Passengers recovered, we proceeded down the now snowbound and almost impassible hill towards Shurdington, stopping once to help a stranded motorist.  There were cars being abandoned attempting to climb the hill so we waved them back...there was no way anything short of a full on 4wd would have a hope of getting up.

Despite several hours sat on the M5 for the inevitable accident,  we did the 20 miles home completely unscathed and relatively relaxed, Classic FM droning out the repeats of all the popular classics it plays daily, to calm the nerves.

I had to go out to rescue a friend, stranded 10 miles away not long after getting in.

I am writing this to say how impressed and quite frankly astonished I was at how capable that car was in the snow. On paper it doesn't add up, but with some practiced driving coupled with trust in the car, we made it out where a Land-rover Discovery (also on summer tyres) failed. Probably more to the tyres it was shod with, but then again we were on similar boots and did make it! I think the decision to simply put foot flat to the floor knowing that the electronics would sort everything out, but limiting the ascent to 20mph was the wise move.  Had I stopped I would undoubtedly have slid all the way back down, possibly rolling the car on one of the steep corners.

I never cease to be impressed with the safety, comfort and all round capabilities of the RX450 which has now cemented itself without a shadow of a doubt as the best car I've owned in 35 years of motoring.  For those agonising whether to buy one or not, just do it.  It will be one of the wisest motoring decisions you'll ever make 😁

• Like 7

1 hour ago, GSLV6 said:

I've been absent a while...mea culpa!

I thought I had to post here after a remarkable journey today in my 450h which I've owned for almost 6 years now (still only 40K miles on the clock!), on a 2014 plate.

For those that know the Cotswolds, and in particular the Cooper's Hill area outside of Shurdington, you'll know Prinknash Abbey and the steep single track estate road down to the car park.  I took my family and a friend to early Mass at the Abbey, leaving just as the white stuff fell, from Cam, near Durlsey, not realising it was forecast to snow heavily, at 7:30am this morning.  All was well but on the M5 N, just as I came off for the A417 to Shurdington, the snow started to fall heavily with the thermometer registering zero.  I knew we were in trouble heading up the A46 (Cooper's Hill where the Glos "annual cheese rolling" competition is held on an unfeasibly steep hill) towards the narrow estate road dropping steeply down to the Abbey below, the old Abbey, the Grange about a mile down untreated single track lane).  The main road hadn't been gritted and was snow covered and treacherous. I decided that I'd be grown up and trust the snow setting on the management system which I rarely used before, preferring the  more macho approach of leaving all TC off and trying to control the car myself which I usually prefer doing in snow having lived and driven countless miles whilst living through NE Scotland winters.

Anyway, the first few hundred yards off the untreated main road, bad as it was, soon developed into a nightmare. The grip on summer tyres (avon ZX7s) wasn't great and with all the TC on in snow mode, and the electronic low ratio set in 1st, I let the car descend the perilous descent, too rapidly discovering that 2.2 tonnes plus 4 passengers was a recipe for loss of control rather sooner than expected despite my efforts.  Half of the 1/2 mile descent was sideways with me trying not to get the car wrapped around one of the many trees or banks and somehow we managed it, left the car in the car park near the cafe, discovering two other cars abandoned where people had decided to proceed on foot, which was by then, the wise decision so is what we did.  An hour later, we walked the half mile back in the worst snow fall I can remember for 10 years, by then 5 or 6 inches deep to a snow covered RX,  A chap with a late model Discovery attempted the climb back up to the main road and slipped backwards with all 4 tyres spinning but as we had no choice I left my passengers to walk up in case I rolled or crashed the car, set it in snow mode, clenched my cheeks (the other ones!) and with, I suspect, a not inconsiderable amount of divine intervention sailed up the hill without losing traction until I was at the main road when the rear let go and slow motion-esque slid towards the "Chorleys" sign post at the entrance but miraculously stopped an inch short of hitting it.  

Passengers recovered, we proceeded down the now snowbound and almost impassible hill towards Shurdington, stopping once to help a stranded motorist.  There were cars being abandoned attempting to climb the hill so we waved them back...there was no way anything short of a full on 4wd would have a hope of getting up.

Despite several hours sat on the M5 for the inevitable accident,  we did the 20 miles home completely unscathed and relatively relaxed, Classic FM droning out the repeats of all the popular classics it plays daily, to calm the nerves.

I had to go out to rescue a friend, stranded 10 miles away not long after getting in.

I am writing this to say how impressed and quite frankly astonished I was at how capable that car was in the snow. On paper it doesn't add up, but with some practiced driving coupled with trust in the car, we made it out where a Land-rover Discovery (also on summer tyres) failed. Probably more to the tyres it was shod with, but then again we were on similar boots and did make it! I think the decision to simply put foot flat to the floor knowing that the electronics would sort everything out, but limiting the ascent to 20mph was the wise move.  Had I stopped I would undoubtedly have slid all the way back down, possibly rolling the car on one of the steep corners.

I never cease to be impressed with the safety, comfort and all round capabilities of the RX450 which has now cemented itself without a shadow of a doubt as the best car I've owned in 35 years of motoring.  For those agonising whether to buy one or not, just do it.  It will be one of the wisest motoring decisions you'll ever make 😁

Luck escape for you!

I travelled back to North Devon from Surrey on Saturday evening and there was more snow on the roads in Devon than I have seen in the dozen or so years I have been here.  My RX450h coped very well with this but it is shod with Michelin Cross Climates so I expected it would.  What is worse is where the snow melts and subsequently freezes leaving patches of black ice.  I live on an untreated steep hill and regardless of tyres there is the possibility of car just sliding to bottom if road freezes so won't risk using it for as long as necessary.

Note to self.  Must get out those metal spiked overshoes that haven't seen the light of day for years so I can walk to shops!

• Like 1

A very interesting post. Since I bought my RX in 2021 I’ve considered Winter tyres. Every other car I’ve owned for over a decade I’ve had a second set of wheels shod with Winter rubber, but I haven’t for the RX.

This post makes me consider that decision…as does the below. See the RX at about 50 seconds. 😪

I drove in snow over a foot deep in Germany last year, with Michelin Cross Climate SUVs, which are snow rated all seasons, and had no problems at all, on either straight roads or mountains. Obviously I took it easy, but never once felt any lack of control. I even took snow chains, but didn't need them.  The tyres are quiet and comfortable in the summer too.

Naturally they clear the motorways quicker in Germany but, when there was fresh snow falling, some were similar to that in the clip and they were fine too.

I considered winter tyres too for my trip but, given that we don't always get snow for any length of time here, especially in the South East, and that the performance of the Cross Climates seem more than adequate, I passed on the extra cost and faff of changing wheels. Perhaps if I lived in a more snowy area I'd think diffferently, but I'm happy with what I've got.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

I drove in snow over a foot deep in Germany last year, with Michelin Cross Climate SUVs, which are snow rated all seasons, and had no problems at all, on either straight roads or mountains. Obviously I took it easy, but never once felt any lack of control. I even took snow chains, but didn't need them.  The tyres are quiet and comfortable in the summer too.

Naturally they clear the motorways quicker in Germany but, when there was fresh snow falling, some were similar to that in the clip and they were fine too.

I considered winter tyres too for my trip but, given that we don't always get snow for any length of time here, especially in the South East, and that the performance of the Cross Climates seem more than adequate, I passed on the extra cost and faff of changing wheels. Perhaps if I lived in a more snowy area I'd think diffferently, but I'm happy with what I've got.

Yes, I’ll get some all season tyres for mine - don’t believe Cross Climates are available in the right size for my 20” wheels but there are other options (Continental from memory, must check!)

• Like 1

Very similar experience last year. 2013 RX450h on Michelin Cross Climates in hybrid snow mode. Went through the snow in Greenfield up and down the road by the lake like it was nothing. Jeep Renegade didn't manage, neither did Range Rover Velar and Audi A1. I suppose for Velar it was a case of summer tires because they did look quite big and wide, and maybe the owner believed in 4wd a bit too much. Anyways I've got nothing but praise for RX450h show capabilities.

• Like 1

Whilst we're praising the RX, one thing I really like, that seems specific to the 3rd gen, is the pop out cupholder to the right of the steering wheel.

This may well not mean much to some, but I love it. Not just because I find it easier to use from that side and positioning, but also because it's placed right in front of the air vent, meaning that cold drinks are kept cool by the air conditioned air in summer, and hot drinks kept warm by warm air in winter.

• Like 2

On 12/12/2022 at 11:35 AM, First_Lexus said:

A very interesting post. Since I bought my RX in 2021 I’ve considered Winter tyres. Every other car I’ve owned for over a decade I’ve had a second set of wheels shod with Winter rubber, but I haven’t for the RX.

This post makes me consider that decision…as does the below. See the RX at about 50 seconds. 😪

Must be awful to be in that situation where you are trying to brake and nothing happens, I bet each of those drivers is instinctively pushing the brake pedal through the floor. Whereas the only chance of stopping would be to release the brakes and try and regain traction, but very hard to resist natural instincts.

• Like 3

Did anyone tried those tyre socks or whatever they call them? Saw some youtube videos and they seem to work pretty well, not sure which ones I should get though for my 20” wheels. Will go to Scotland soon and the summer Good Year tyres i have might be an issue. 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 6:40 PM, John Walker said:

Did anyone tried those tyre socks or whatever they call them? Saw some youtube videos and they seem to work pretty well, not sure which ones I should get though for my 20” wheels. Will go to Scotland soon and the summer Good Year tyres i have might be an issue. 

In think 'socks' are a great idea - in theory - but I have heard stories of them shredding very quickly.

For me, it's still all-seasons. Fit and forget.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PCM said:

In think 'socks' are a great idea - in theory - but I have heard stories of them shredding very quickly.

For me, it's still all-seasons. Fit and forget.

I've heard the same, especially if you're driving in conditions that switch from snow to clear or gritted roads.  I actually bought a set of socks, and chains, for a winter trip to France/Germany/Switzerland, due to the snow and mountains I was going to face. However, I had all seasons, and so the socks and chains sat in the car unsued, as the tyres performed flawlessly.

1 hour ago, Bluemarlin said:

I've heard the same, especially if you're driving in conditions that switch from snow to clear or gritted roads.  I actually bought a set of socks, and chains, for a winter trip to France/Germany/Switzerland, due to the snow and mountains I was going to face. However, I had all seasons, and so the socks and chains sat in the car unsued, as the tyres performed flawlessly.

What tyres you re using? I really struggle to find almost any tyres for 235 55 20 

On 12/17/2022 at 6:40 PM, John Walker said:

I forgot to mention. Given that I didn't get round to using them, you're welcome to borrow my snow socks for your trip, even the chains if you like. They were bought for 19" wheels but can't remember if they fit across a range of sizes or are specific to one size only.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bluemarlin said:

I forgot to mention. Given that I didn't get round to using them, you're welcome to borrow my snow socks for your trip, even the chains if you like. They were bought for 19" wheels but can't remember if they fit across a range of sizes or are specific to one size only.

You are very kind, thank you! Although it appears that they need to be the correct size for my tyres which again is a pain to find (235 55 20) 

I think whilst at over £200 a corner, I'll be switching to cross climates.  I usually buy Avon ZX7s for their road-holding and good wet weather performance but as Avon have now been bought out and are no longer being made in the UK I'll make the jump.  In my case, I was lucky really to get out of the Prinknash estate given the conditions were similar to those in that video clip above but I still have faith in the car in such conditions. Physics being what it is, no-matter what you use, once traction is broken, 2.2 tonnes of car isn't going to be as sure footed as something like a little lightweight MkII Rav 4.  Wish I'd kept ours but we had to sell it to help finance our last move.  It would go just about anywhere a landrover would with Outlander tyres fitted to it and was fabulous in the snow and off road. 

On 12/12/2022 at 6:10 AM, Spottedlaurel said:

Good to hear from you again Paul, pleased to hear you still have your RX and that it's clearly serving you well!

Thank you and it's been good to us despite a few odd things coming back from the last service such as one of the front sub frame arms to the suspension being badly bent!  No idea what would have done that except perhaps a pothole but I don't remember hitting one that hard.  Sub frame replacement was quoted at £5,500 but I had them apply heat and bend it back so fingers crossed!  The only other thing that's gone wrong in coming up 6 years of ownership is the rear tailgate electrics failing and that looks set to cost us over £1000 to repair. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links