Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

ES300H TAKUMI - wheel arch CAN BUS theft

Colenso

3 minutes ago, Derant said:

I recovered the dash cam and was able to watch the whole event and subsequent journey, not possible to identify anyone except hearing them speak

That’s excellent, Antony.  Hopefully, the Police have a copy to examine as evidence.

As they should know, voice prints are as individual as fingerprints - even if attempts are made to disguise their voice.  That they didn’t spot the dashcam is pretty amateurish so there’s always a chance they made other errors that may lead to their identification.

11 minutes ago, Derant said:

but I now know that a Lexus ES300h is very vulnerable. I wouldnt have peace of mind with another Lexus sat outside.

It’s not uncommon for thieves to wait for a stolen car to be replaced and then target the replacement, on the basis that nothing else will have changed to make it more secure.

Clearly you would be beyond infuriated if events just repeated themselves.  But it sounds like the car is repairable and your Insurers will deal with this.  Unfortunately, they may increase your Premium despite the fact that your only fault was to buy a desirable car.  And your sensible use of a Location App meant that they were not paying out for a total loss.

I suppose you could ask them to detail what other security measures you could have taken!

I am so sorry to hear about this. Yet again... If my es300h goes I probabaly won't replace with another either.... Very worrying development indeed. 

This is probabaly why I am paying 40 percent more for my insurance this year! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Every single day this is not addressed by a recall is another knock to the reputation of the brand. As mentioned extensively a third party immobiliser or Canbus encryption upgrade seem essential. Shameful position by Lexus UK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Derant said:

I don’t honestly know what I would get and how vulnerable it would be but I now know that a Lexus ES300h is very vulnerable. I wouldnt have peace of mind with another Lexus sat outside.

I recovered the dash cam and was able to watch the whole event and subsequent journey, not possible to identify anyone except hearing them speak

Can you please write to Lexus UK and let them know - I believe they havent released the protection plates for the ES as they think its not as much of a problem with them compared to the RX so every attempted theft needs to be emailed to them. 

Also, how did they take the car with the steering lock on?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Also, how did they take the car with the steering lock on?

The dash cam was running, you could hear some fettling going on, not for many seconds though. The steering lock was in the passenger footwell when the car was located. 

Just now, Derant said:

The dash cam was running, you could hear some fettling going on, not for many seconds though. The steering lock was in the passenger footwell when the car was located. 

Which must mean they weren’t deterred by the sight of the steering lock 

18 minutes ago, Cs150 said:

Which lock was this?

It’s one I have had for years, brand name Helix, it’s nothing special I just assumed a visual deterrent would possibly deter some people. I live in a village, there is no way it was opportunistic, you simply don’t drive past our cottage, it’s a concern that people are now looking for targets.

11 minutes ago, Derant said:

It’s one I have had for years, brand name Helix, it’s nothing special I just assumed a visual deterrent would possibly deter some people. I live in a village, there is no way it was opportunistic, you simply don’t drive past our cottage, it’s a concern that people are now looking for targets.

Very concerning indeed, professional thieves seeking specific targets. The word seems to be out that Lexus vehicles are an easy target.

2 minutes ago, Spark plug said:

All modern cars with keyless locking are easy to steal electronically...

But there does seem to be a weakness in Lexus cars through the ease which criminals access the wiring front passenger side and gain control of the car. Both my keys were in Faraday pouches but it’s irrelevant nowadays with Lexus.

8 minutes ago, Bob King said:

I bought a Stoplock Pro for my MY23 ES after someone tried and failed to steal it - presumably because of the canbus revisions to MY23. The Stoplock Pro didn't fit (despite the info sheet saying it would), and I had to change it for the Stoplock Pro Elite.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Spark plug said:

All modern cars with keyless locking are easy to steal electronically...

However not all modern cars have easily accessible wiring and a Canbus network without encryption until MY23. Keyless is a known risk a Canbus without encryption is a design shortfall.

• Like 1

I thought thieves had scanners that just fired codes at the car till it opened, then there in and away in seconds... 

Jammers that stop your car from locking, this happened to me twice in the same carpark only I noticed she was not locked because I always check that my car is locked before I walk off... This has never happened anywhere else...

2 minutes ago, Spark plug said:

I thought thieves had scanners that just fired codes at the car till it opened, then there in and away in seconds... 

That's almost impossible with modern alarms and would only unlock the doors, you still need to defeat the immobiliser.

4 minutes ago, Spark plug said:

Jammers that stop your car from locking, this happened to me twice in the same carpark only I noticed she was not locked because I always check that my car is locked before I walk off

Definitely happens but can also just be interference that stops it working. Always listen out of the door locks closing.

19 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

That's almost impossible with modern alarms and would only unlock the doors, you still need to defeat the immobiliser.

Definitely happens but can also just be interference that stops it working. Always listen out of the door locks closing.

It was a bad area I had to park in and its never happened anywhere else... I always check she is locked and use a steering wheel disc lock...

I thought once the door was open you just press the button and she starts... that's what mine does...

Whilst I have the RX and have had the protection plates fitted, it's shocking that Lexus leave other models completely vulnerable.

Also I am not convinced the protection plates will actually solve the problem permanently.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Derant said:

live in a village, there is no way it was opportunistic, you simply don’t drive past our cottage, it’s a concern that people are now looking for targets.

Any chance that the criminals might have been caught on your neighbours’ CCTV or doorbell cameras while cruising the village?

7 minutes ago, LenT said:

Any chance that the criminals might have been caught on your neighbours’ CCTV or doorbell cameras while cruising the village?

They have been seen on cctv at the location they left the car at but not that you could identify them. I have the dash cam footage and at the beginning you can see one of them at the front of the car, looks youngish, slim with a hood and face covering, I couldn’t identify him though. They were speaking an east European language. Hopefully they weren’t wearing gloves and have previous

To all other ES and wider Lexus owners I suggest you look at Range Rover depreciation over the last 12 months. This is largely due to thefts and hideous insurance quotes. If things continue in this way not only are Lexus UK by inaction putting your vehicle at risk but you will be facing substantial insurance increases plus expect depreciation to be no different than that suffered by Range Rover owners. Lexus UK need taking to task, how much are you prepared to put up with based on the mirage of what the brand used to represent?

• Like 4

On 8/7/2023 at 7:38 PM, Flytvr said:

Here’s the eBay item

On 11/13/2023 at 8:32 PM, Bob King said:

Lexus main dealer fitted it for me and said it was good.

Not sure how you’d get hold of OEM 🤔 

Good luck.

It’s been covered in another thread, but a willing thief will just make a single cut in your steering wheel and slide it off. Sadly, this is common practice.

You may want to use a full steering dish style lock to prevent hacksaw to the steering wheel itself.

Lexus need to perform a software fix on this, ASAP. 

12 hours ago, shapiro said:

It’s been covered in another thread, but a willing thief will just make a single cut in your steering wheel and slide it off. Sadly, this is common practice.

You may want to use a full steering dish style lock to prevent hacksaw to the steering wheel itself.

Lexus need to perform a software fix on this, ASAP. 

I suspect they removed my steering lock by cutting through the steering wheel, god knows how much a new steering wheel for a Takumi grade costs

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links