Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

ES300H TAKUMI - wheel arch CAN BUS theft

Colenso

1 hour ago, e-yes said:

These thieves are getting even more creative... Just saw a post on Nextdoor network about a theft being attempted by drilling a hole into the door !

From the videos that the victim has shared, the car appears to be a BMW and they say that the alarm didn't go off.

They were not able to get into the car but they left behind a hefty damage.

IMG_F0A139658989-1.jpeg

Back in the 1980s they used to nick BMWs that way - punch a hole in the door skin and trip the locks! BMW then started reinforcing the area which stopped it. No matter what the car manufacturers do there is always some lowlife finding another way to get around it and keep the trade in stolen cars/parts going!

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, e-yes said:

From the videos that the victim has shared, the car appears to be a BMW and they say that the alarm didn't go off.

The alarm wont trigger as the factory fitted alarm system isn't designed to detect someone drilling the door.

The factory alarm system will only detect a door, boot or bonnet being opened, movement inside the cabin, ignition switched on OR jacking / motion of the vehicle

• 2 weeks later...

I know if your pride and joy disappears it's nothing but heart ache (especially if it's a Takumi) and agro.  Access to CAN bus wiring allows a vehicle to be stolen.  I also have a brief comment on the Ghost immobiliser thread.  I understand a Ghost does not prevent CAN bus access typically under the front wing. This is my actual car.

The video is a bit distorted but it looks like an ES. Definitely taken through CANBUS theft (passenger side light out). So much for the steering wheel lock.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13092491/Moment-car-thief-uses-angle-grinder-remove-steering-wheel-lock-stealing-Lexus-east-London.html

• Sad 4

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little info to brighten up you lucky ES owners mornings.

From the clublexus American forums : looks like the headlamp canbus access point isn’t the only place thieves can gain access. Why kneel in a puddle and get rained on when you can sit inside the car and steal it from there? 

I have seen theft recovery new gen ES, highlander and RX4s piled up at dealership lots 

The ES and highlander had the headliner consule with sunroof buttons ripped out and connector dangling. My guess is they connect through that to start the cars.

But the worse part is that they rip the center console and Instrument panel to rip the Data communications module and GPS out and cause significant damage there.

Some highlanders had the sharkfin antenna smashed as well.”

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, eightk said:

Why kneel in a puddle and get rained on when you can sit inside the car and steal it from there? 

So you can disarm the alarm and unlock the doors. 

• Like 1

Lexus canbus theft issue featured on one show and watchdog, resulting in a statement from Lexus and promise of a security upgrade… along with confirmation of models affected (including ES)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links