Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2023 Roadtrip

BrettMRC

I'm considering organising a Lexus GT/F roadtrip for 2023.  (as discussed with L55 RCF)

A lot of us over the years have travelled to shows and events, and whilst those events can be interesting, quite often it's the journey that's exciting.

Given the LC500 is an epic GT, what better way to use it than for an extended road trip around the UK?

I've had a few thoughts on this, and roughly speaking I think that we could either meet up at a designated start point and head off to do a tour of the Lakes, Wales, N500 etc; or we could do a GT pony express where the route takes in lots of the UK, but members join and leave en-route. (To suit availability, budgets etc)

The other big question would be When?   I'm thinking late Summer so we have the long evenings, but the kids would be back to school...

Any and all ideas, suggestions etc welcome! 

🙂

• Like 3

19 hours ago, BrettMRC said:

but the kids would be back to school...

remembering the Scottish midges and different school holiday return dates up there !  ...  should you venture that far north

Malc

• Like 2

On 12/14/2022 at 3:01 PM, BrettMRC said:

I'm considering organising a Lexus GT/F roadtrip for 2023.  (as discussed with L55 RCF)

A lot of us over the years have travelled to shows and events, and whilst those events can be interesting, quite often it's the journey that's exciting.

Given the LC500 is an epic GT, what better way to use it than for an extended road trip around the UK?

I've had a few thoughts on this, and roughly speaking I think that we could either meet up at a designated start point and head off to do a tour of the Lakes, Wales, N500 etc; or we could do a GT pony express where the route takes in lots of the UK, but members join and leave en-route. (To suit availability, budgets etc)

The other big question would be When?   I'm thinking late Summer so we have the long evenings, but the kids would be back to school...

Any and all ideas, suggestions etc welcome! 

🙂

An excellent idea Brent.

Please however, do not limit to specific Lexus models, just make it available "to all Lexus owners" and watch the acceptances rise. Just think back to those Saturday mornings standing in the  Matinee queue when in due time the 7th Cavalry came over the rise to save the day !🤣🤣👍👍

A caravan of Lexii.

• Like 3

I'd forget the Lakes. The roads are busy, narrow and lined with stone walls. Not a great combination for a super wide LC500.

Scotland - as said, avoid midge season. Best roads are arguably in the Cairngorms - NC500 is totally over-rated and full of caravans, but if sighseeing and caravans are your thing....  Avoid Winter - I was there last week (left LC down South).

image.thumb.png.1252d9ebd41658d8e00280569ed254d5.png

If you have sea legs, Isle Of Man. One of the few places you can stretch the car's legs legally.

• Like 2

Have done the most and experienced the best driving in Scotland. The NC500 is great as a bucket list type item, pic opportunities etc, but don't think it's a club type thing to drive (but I would certainly do it again).

I would echo @Flytvr with the Cairngorms, even taking the NX up there in winter each year, I get a great kick out of driving. It is the only place I haven't been with my F, but have driven previously owned cars in and around the area. I would happily drive Hampshire to Scotland any time!

Hope the idea manifests and becomes reality, I would certainly be a keen bean 🙂

• Like 2

I'd also add that back in the day, there were many attempts to organise Lexus road trips, but it always seemed that most Lexus enthusiasts prefered to park up and walk round each other's cars. If you also factor in family commitments, holidays entitlement, geographic locations, etc, your pool of potential attendees quickly shinks. So, as someone already mentioned, you might be best opening the event up to LC, F and even non Lexus owners.

But slap on the back for putting the effort in 👍

• Like 3

Thanks guys - initially just circulating ideas to get some feel & feedback 🙂

I'm wondering if a Lands End to John O Groats things might be the way to go... people can join and leave as they wish, do some little detours for sight seeing - maybe take in a car show or something en-route?

Very much still at the whiteboard stage!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The joining/ driving/ leaving is a good start. It would be something like meet at X at 11am, leave at 11:30, journey to Y, meet at 12:30pm etc. You'll need a mutual whatsapp or similar messaging group in case people are delayed with their own local traffic, or main group is running behind, you can then atleast give a heads up as to where the group is on the next leg etc or if they are only minutes away, holding on for them.

The other snag is how 'spirited' drivers wish to travel along the route, some want a bit of adrenaline, others may prefer a cruise, but also being wary that some may ruin it for others. Grouping may be required if numbers get out of hand or pre-planning of 'spirited' sections, followed by some scenic cruising.

I know there are 101 other things to consider, if you wanted to start a messaging group where a few could rattle some ideas around and then once it has a bit more structure, offer it out to wider club, I'd be keen to help, but don't want to overstep.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I know you LC500 owners are super keen but please remember where it all started?

Lexus LS 400!

I did 50,000 miles in my straight-piped 94 LS400!

Fond memories! 🙂

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 7:39 PM, Spacewagon52 said:

I know you LC500 owners are super keen but please remember where it all started?

Lexus LS 400!

Yep, I had my first in 1991. Second 1992 and a Soarer direct from Japan in 1994.

On 12/19/2022 at 8:35 AM, BrettMRC said:

a Lands End to

have you been to Cornwall recently  ??  .  the roads into and out are simply ATROCIOUS .....  some feign at road highway improvements .  just creates total traffic gridlock and chaos, especially out of season ( whatever that is ) 

Malc

• Haha 1

Quick circuit of the M25?

Run up the A1?

I'm open to suggestions folks, but need some additional ideas as well was what won't work/is a poor choice.   

🙂

Assuming it's open to all members, then it could be that we have regional groups that aim to meet up centrally somewhere?  (Or at an event that's central in the UK?)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BrettMRC said:

Quick circuit of the M25?

Run up the A1?

I'm open to suggestions folks, but need some additional ideas as well was what won't work/is a poor choice.   

🙂

Assuming it's open to all members, then it could be that we have regional groups that aim to meet up centrally somewhere?  (Or at an event that's central in the UK?)

M25 circuit then up the A1 sounds good. Meet at large service area on M25 / M4 - NOT Cobham!

Will this be open to ALL models of Lexus? If so I would be up for it!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links