Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS-F - Reliable performance?

I guess this point was argued for many times, but only time could prove one way or the other. Seems like indeed one of the benefits of choosing IS-F over contemporary competitors was that it could be enjoyed and yet reliable. M3 lost their bearing well before 100k, C63 are not know for amazing reliability either... and IS-F casually races along at 400k...

• Like 8

Well it says it all really… If people realise how good Toyotas 5.0L engine and “housing” is then all those cars should double their price in no time. I already know that if money was no issue I would add GSF to RCF and can forget about looking at other cars for years. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Linas.P said:

I guess this point was argued for many times, but only time could prove one way or the other. Seems like indeed one of the benefits of choosing IS-F over contemporary competitors was that it could be enjoyed and yet reliable. M3 lost their bearing well before 100k, C63 are not know for amazing reliability either... and IS-F casually races along at 400k...

Randomly I got chatting to the owner back in August.  My friend parked his 2011 USB ISF next to him at Brunnchen (although can't find the photo)

Lovely motor and it carries a lot of war wounds that need more than a polish 😉

Really pleasant chap, he has put an LSD on the rear and apparently had it mapped to remove the rev limiter (although the beeps remained).

His rear wing is a copy of the Lexus ISF race car wing that his friend made up for him out of carbon.

Asked him about the standard exhaust and it has to stay as no TUV approved aftermarket exhausts for the ISF in Germany.

We thought it was a face-lift at first because of lights until we saw the dash.

I explained that I used to have a 2008 ISF in black myself, pointed out I replaced it with a Civic...  he did not look impressed 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah that 5.0l V8 is one helluva reliable lump. I've seen a video where just for the heck of it a mechanic owner stripped his engine, think it had somewhere along 250k - 300k miles. Conclusion was the engine showed oh so very little wear and tear. It only just looked run in. Excellent video. 👍 

I think if i had bought one of the German marque's and found myself paying out for repairs other than maintenance, it would have put me off owning a performance car altogether.

I chat with people about what car I've got and initial reaction is "Oooh must be expensive to run"....well I guess more petrol and arguably premium price tyre's but that's about it in comparison to anyone else's daily driver.

I’ve had my ISF nearly 8 years, my only quibble would be the lack of an estate version, did think about changing to the C63 estate as I have to run two cars as I’ve two dogs and a Spanish retreat…….. the ISF returns 35mpg over the 2800 round trip, my estate is a V50 2.4 5 pot that returns 34.8mpg on the same journey……. There’s a lot of US cars with 200k plus without any form of serious maintenance……. By far the best value for money in the U.K. as prices are not what they are across the pond.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links