Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2006 Levinson VS 2014 Standard Audio Systems

Hi All,

I am on the look out for a new car but the market is really dry at the moment and what cars are out there are priced much higher than they were a few years ago but i guess thats the used car market at the moment.

Anyhow, I currently own a 2006 GS450H SE with ML Audio. A couple of cars i have seen in my price range either have high mileage or they dont have the ML Audio upgrade. 

My Question is, how does either the stock or premium nav stand up against the 2006 ML Audio?

As always, any help would be appreciated 🙂

Oh Happy New Year BTW LOL!

Pretty sure that no standard audio will be as good as ML audio. Have never been in a GS but believe that whatever ML put in a car sound better than most. 3 - 4 times more expensive cars than our little CT I have been in have no better audio than the ML in our CT.

May  image.thumb.png.434e3e450a7cb5fee089e186be590a0e.png be good for all.

• Like 1

One thing to remember is your in a car so prob not the best place to judge audio quality its always going to sound a bit harsh.

My home 2ch system (Quad + B&W) sounds a lot more balanced as its in the right environment.

ML home systems cost upwards of 15K so I'm not sure how the car version compares, but you do get a separate amp in the boot in the GS so its not just some upgraded head unit or badge.

The standard audio system is from Pioneer I believe.

happy new year to everyone on LOC

just after lockdown ended i tested drove an Rc300h with the ML system fitted

and a cd left in the car and to be honest i wasn't blown away with the sound of it

If their website is to believed then they tune their system to each model. I guess this is done with the vehicle parked and not cruising down the motorway at 70mph.

My first RC was standard audio and was very acceptable. My second RC was with ML audio and was immediately obviously much fuller and involving, detail and balance improved as well.

My RX has ML audio but I would say it is not as good as in the RC, probably due to the cabin size and restriction on speaker placement, no big central sub in the rear? The RC also has nearly twice the amplifier power, not that power alone makes any improvement

No in-car audio is ever going to be as good as a domestic hifi set-up. 

• Like 1

Hi Paul. A question. Are you happy with the sound the ML system in your GS? What car are you looking for?

The thing with ML not all cars with it sound like they should. I've had 2 identical is300h with ML. 1st one sounded ****. The 2nd superb. The ML in a RX I had was superb. My current is250 with ML sounds superb.

Take a favourite CD with you when you see a car for test drive and listen. If you like it then job done. 

• Like 1

over recent years i havent had a lexus with the standard audio so the difference between the premium & the ML wont be

as big when comparing to the standard audio system.

Thanks for the reply's everyone. 

I do love the sound of my current ML system in my GS450H. I am no audiophile but it is certainly the best sounding integrated audio setup i have heard. My friend has a IS300h and his ML Audio sounds fantastic as well.

I would love a RC200t but honestly they are pretty rare and out of my price range. I have however decided on either a newer shape (2012 Onwards) GS300h or GS450h as long as its F-Sport or Premier (Maybe a luxury if the price and mileage is right) with the ML Audio system and preferably the 12.5" screen. There are a couple on AT but i will have to travel a bit unless i can get the car shipped to my local Lexus dealer (If thats still something they do). I would even consider a IS300h F-Sport with ML but from what i can tell they tend to be even more expensive than GS300h. 

Due to the current pricing hike on used cars this will probably be the most i have spent on a car so i would definitely prefer to get something i want rather than pay through the nose and regret it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links