Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Morning Folks

My RC300h needs new tyres. 

My Lexus dealer is offereing these; anyone have experience of which  I should go for to get a slightly 'softer' ride (bad back!)

Bridgestone RE050A                 Dunlop sport Maxx

Rear-£300.42.                          Rear-£274.54.

Front-£228.21.                         Front-£222.40.

Thanks

Mike

Comfortable ride, long lasting, low noise, fuel consumption B, wet brake efficiency A:

Continental UltraContact.

So far, we have been keeping same as on from new, but next month have ordered Continental. Have had that on almost all cars so far and only kept the brand Lexus put on from new but now is time to go back to Continental.

I have had Dunlop SportMaxx as OEMs on both my RCs, switching to Pirelli when they were worn.  Ride comfort is similar and equally good, but the Dunlops wear out a lot more quickly, especially and not unexpectedly the rears.  I had Bridgestone RE050s as OEMs on an IS300h.  They were satisfactory on most counts when new but became very noisy as they aged, which they also did quite quickly.  

Are the prices above per tyre or per pair? I as about to say - don't use Dealer for the tyre because they are rip-off... but considering we talking about RC with 19" wheels the prices they gave would be amazing per pair. If it is per tyre, then I am sure you can find same tyres for 25% less. As well - are you sure you need both fronts and rears? What are the remaining thread on fronts? 

Choosing between Brigestones and Dunlops - Dunlops are way better (although it is not very clear what exact tyres they offering - I assume SportMaxx RT2). I had mix of Sportmaxx SP and RT2 on my RC and then just god different set of wheels with nearly new Brigestones RE050a, all in all Brigestones are very sticky tyres so quite good for sporty driving, but at the same time noisy, less comfortable, noticeably worse of fuel and kind of dicey on cold mornings. Sportmaxx RT2s (Goodyear Asymmetric 3) are probably one of my favourite tyres with excellent price/performance - quiet, fuel efficient, comfortable, plenty sticky enough for handling, great on wet etc. The only issue with them is that they were long replaced, outclassed and made obsolete by Goodyear Asymmetric 5 and now even 6. So if I would fit the tyres I would get Goodyear Asymmetric 6, or Conti Premium Contact 6.

1 hour ago, opsmajor said:

Thanks Linas, unfortunately not pairs!

In which case - the price they offering is just not competitive and generally makes no sense to use dealership to get exactly same tyres. 

For example far superior Conti Premium Contact 6 are £166 for fronts and £224 for rears or the same Sportmaxx RT2s are £176 fronts and £230 rears, so that is difference of £180 (£992 vs. £812).

As well for Bridgestones you can get more modern Brigestone Sport for £181 + £242 and RE050a cost more for rear, less for front, but similar overall cost. 

At some point Lexus Dealers were price matching (as special deal) so maybe worth asking if you want to do it in dealership.  

On 1/27/2023 at 11:52 AM, opsmajor said:

Morning Folks

My RC300h needs new tyres. 

My Lexus dealer is offereing these; anyone have experience of which  I should go for to get a slightly 'softer' ride (bad back!)

Bridgestone RE050A                 Dunlop sport Maxx

Rear-£300.42.                          Rear-£274.54.

Front-£228.21.                         Front-£222.40.

Thanks

Mike

Agree with Linas, too much money.  I’ll pay less for that for UHP tyres for the RCF!  Now you know what they are offering, just get them cheaper elsewhere, such as mytyres or Camskill.

That’s what I do and never regret it.  Decide what tyre I want and just get it as cheap as possible from the internet.  

• 4 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links