Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine oil flush and injector clean???

Zadumbreion

Just booked the LC in for a service and was rather disappointed to be offered an "engine oil flush" and fuel injector clean as add-ons.

The LC is a pinnacle of Lexus engineering and if those things were needed surely they would already be part of the service schedule??

I'm not sure the LC is the sort of car (nor we the sort of owners) that these potentially questionable add-ons should be marketed to...

Any opinions?

23 minutes ago, Zadumbreion said:

Any opinions?

It was just an offer and if you're not interested, politely decline and forget it. The dealer is just doing his job of trying to maximise profits

• Like 1

Just an add on,you can take it or leave it, choice is yours, my independent garage used to offer an engine flush as part of a service but have since stopped,now an option if you ask for it 

Engine flush shouldn't really be needed if you are servicing at a Lexus dealer who would be using quality oils.

Injector cleaner is somewhat dependent on the quality of fuel you use, so the way the LC has been engineered doesn't really factor in. You could argue that these should be built-in to the high service charges, but I feel they would just become even more expensive. Much cheaper to purchase a can of injector cleaner yourself and put in at a fill up every couple of years rather than paying a huge Lexus markup.

• Like 2

I've been running ISF and RCF V8s for 12+ years and 90,000 miles and never heard of this, nor been offered it.

Sounds like a dealer trying it on

• Like 1

mine is going in for its 60k mile , 6 year service in September, they will probable offer me a new engine as a add on, ill probably decline. lol

will be interesting to see how much the 6 year old service will be, they don't seem to take any consideration on the millage the car has covered, which will  be less than 12k

45 minutes ago, wendle said:

mine is going in for its 60k mile , 6 year service in September, they will probable offer me a new engine as a add on, ill probably decline. lol

will be interesting to see how much the 6 year old service will be, they don't seem to take any consideration on the millage the car has covered, which will  be less than 12k

You can insist they don't change the spark plus as the interval is only distance based, not time. Most dealers will insist they need to be changed to maintain warranty but refer them to the service booklet, or Lexus UK, if they won't stamp the book. Plug change is a big part of the cost.

Saying that the latest service pricing from Lexus infers that they no longer have different pricing for each of the major services. If that's the case then definitely get the plugs changed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

You can insist they don't change the spark plus as the interval is only distance based, not time. Most dealers will insist they need to be changed to maintain warranty but refer them to the service booklet, or Lexus UK, if they won't stamp the book. Plug change is a big part of the cost.

Saying that the latest service pricing from Lexus infers that they no longer have different pricing for each of the major services. If that's the case then definitely get the plugs changed.

iam not sure if i am making this up but i am sure i read somewhere its £200 on top of the service for the plugs.

6 minutes ago, wendle said:

iam not sure if i am making this up but i am sure i read somewhere its £200 on top of the service for the plugs.

Yes, it certainly used to be. But Lexus increased the price of the basic major service and removed the mention of additional costs for the 60k and 100k services. That uplift might still be there, if that's the case then Lexus are no longer being transparent on their website.

On 2/2/2023 at 12:57 PM, ColinBarber said:

Yes, it certainly used to be. But Lexus increased the price of the basic major service and removed the mention of additional costs for the 60k and 100k services. That uplift might still be there, if that's the case then Lexus are no longer being transparent on their website.

Yes i also noticed that they no longer advertise the cost of the 60k service, iam sure its more, i think they also offer to change the break fluid, also at a extra cost, ill see what they say and let you know, this is the first Lexus i have kept for longer than 3 years so i will have to expect the extra cost of things like Pads, discs, tyres etc.

• 8 months later...

I own several 'quick lubes'. Both of those 'services' are for the most part scams. Save your money, and take your car to the dealer. Penny wise and pound foolish taking it to places like mine. The best, and ultimately, the cheapest way to go is the dealer. I know there are many excellent, independent techs out there but how familiar can they be about LC500's? How often do they even see one? Ever?

I just had the 60K , 6 year service, no added charge for the plugs but was asked if i wanted fuel additive ( i use Shell V power ) so declined that, A/C gas replace meant ( its cold and doesn't smell so i declined that ). i think they are just fishing to sell extras.

• Like 1

I’d be asking Lexus why their £100,000 sports car needs an oil flush that’d potentially disturb bits of crap and block things up, or fuel injector cleaner that should be part of the service schedule if it’s genuinely needed, or an aircon regas on a car that’s under warranty. Meh.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links