Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What's the problem with electric vehicles

Mr Vlad

Fire in electric car causes villa to burn down this night

The car had to be drowned in a water container to put out the fire in the batteries.

The car, an Audi Q4 e-tron, was parked close to the house, and the fire quickly spread to the garage and subsequently the rest of the building.

The owners of the house had inhaled a lot of smoke and were taken to the nearest hospital for a check-up.

The car needed to being drowned in a water container to put out the fire in the batteries.

The house burned to the ground.

Fires in cars with lithium-ion batteries can start spontaneously if the Battery is damaged by impact, impact, overheating or penetration of the battery's membranes.

Fires in lithium-ion batteries are characterized by developing quickly.

The fires can last a day if the Battery is not cooled down effectively.

Suffocation extinguishing agents have proven ineffective as lithium-ion batteries burn by a self-oxidizing process.

In addition, highly toxic fumes can be produced.

Fires in electric cars are handled by keeping the heat down with direct extinguishing and cooling of the Battery. Alternatively, you can let the car burn out or place it in an electric-car-container, where you can cool it down.

And the idiots will say that similar has also happened to cars on other fuels.

17 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

And the idiots will say that similar has also happened to cars on other fuels.

Oh ffs, would you (and some others) on the forum stop calling members on here that disagree with you idiots! 🙄

Some anti-EV people on here are causing some of the worst grief I have seen on this (otherwise great) forum in my time here.

@Las Palmas You seem to like copying and pasting every article that is against EV's as if it is something significant.

Like it or not, EV's are here to stay, so you need to move on!

https://www.iea.org/news/demand-for-electric-cars-is-booming-with-sales-expected-to-leap-35-this-year-after-a-record-breaking-2022

"Ambitious policy programmes in major economies, such as the Fit for 55 package in the European Union and the Inflation Reduction Act in the United States, are expected to further increase market share for electric vehicles this decade and beyond. By 2030, the average share of electric cars in total sales across China, the EU and the United States is set to rise to around 60%."

Given an average lifespan of 10 years, this means that those 60% of cars will be around until at least 2040!

And before you start saying that there is still time to stop it, that is just naïve thinking as car manufacturing build cycles mean that a lot of these cars are already in the design stages and will slowly be released in the next 5 years or so.  So, in effect, they are already here.

Now, I know this post will most likely fall on deaf ears and will do nothing to stop people spouting the same thing again and again, but by not commenting I feel like I am somewhat complicitly agreeing with what is being said and that is certainly not the case.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

People that think it is OK to leave the planet in really bad shape to those coming after us have no reason demanding being called intelligent and caring.

Here on the forum are enough proof what good Battery powered cars do to call anybody with the stupid idea that such is good for the environment for so stupid that they are out of reach.

Do not like what I write just press the ignore button. I have just added one to my list of those ignored.

30 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

People that think it is OK to leave the planet in really bad shape to those coming after us have no reason demanding being called intelligent and caring.

Here on the forum are enough proof what good battery powered cars do to call anybody with the stupid idea that such is good for the environment for so stupid that they are out of reach.

Do not like what I write just press the ignore button. I have just added one to my list of those ignored.

So good of you to look after the planet for the rest of us 🙄  Would never have known from the number of times you have mentioned it...  Tell me, what is the air like up there on your high horse?

Oh, and in case it wasn't blaringly obvious, being non 'eco-friendly' and intelligent aren't mutually exclusive!  Speaking of which, could you perhaps re-phrase your second sentence so that us normal folk can understand it?

I am actually quite pleased with the fact that I have never had to put anyone on my ignore list, although, the idea is becoming more appealing by the minute..

• Like 2

@ShahporDon't forget hydrogen fuel cells cars some how magically have NONE of the 'problems' EVs have......

The fact companies like BP/Shell are still trying to promote hydrogen as the answer to the world's problems proves it. Because we all know how much BP/Shell cares about the planet 🤣.

But what do we know, its clearly the rest of the world is full of unenlightened people, and some individuals here have the answer to everything but instead of acting on their knowledge they seem to think a random car forum is the way to change world.........Maybe they know something we don't about power dynamics and global strategy 🤔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

image.thumb.png.d51bd7d8347d83565744c28a179d8239.png

Nothing quite like someone burying their head in the sand rather than actually speaking to people 🙂

Or is is simply a case of just insulting others and running away, as opposed to considering the fact that different opinions might have some slightly merit and are worth discussing like adults?

• Like 1

Oh dear Gang and Shahpor. I'm sorry to say this but the way I see it you have read John's posts with some kind weird spectacles. You've taken umbrage to his beliefs and concerns which yes have been quite heavily put. You've refused for what ever reason to ignore his findings and yes lots of copy paste articles and yes mostly 'anti' BEV.

I'm anti BEV because of the utter profiteering of the companies associated with traction Battery manufacturer. The use of children to dig up by hand the 'precious' materials and with that the tragic loss of life of too many of those children. Profiteering has a lot to answer for.

Yes an electrically powered car is a great idea But alternatives to what's used now NEED to be developed and from what I've read here and there their is development taking place.

This thread I started and its about what's wrong with electric cars. It's turned out quite well with branched out topics. Hydrogen and Synthetic fuel which I believe will come to fruition quicker than the development of a traction Battery made from 'friendly' materials.

John's taken to block your comments. That's his perogative. 

I've taken no umbrage to any post he's done. I've appreciated quite a few of them. 

There has unfortunately been a few misinformed posts and totally wrong. For example 'pollution' from tyres being worse from BEV's. Someone did however correct that and clearly differentiated between tread wear and particulates of rubber.

That's the great thing about forums. There are informative folk and misinformed folk within them. I love 'em all, even if I disagree with them.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Oh dear Gang and Shahpor. I'm sorry to say this but the way I see it you have read John's posts with some kind weird spectacles. You've taken umbrage to his beliefs and concerns which yes have been quite heavily put. You've refused for what ever reason to ignore his findings and yes lots of copy paste articles and yes mostly 'anti' BEV.

I'm anti BEV because of the utter profiteering of the companies associated with traction battery manufacturer. The use of children to dig up by hand the 'precious' materials and with that the tragic loss of life of too many of those children. Profiteering has a lot to answer for.

Yes an electrically powered car is a great idea But alternatives to what's used now NEED to be developed and from what I've read here and there their is development taking place.

This thread I started and its about what's wrong with electric cars. It's turned out quite well with branched out topics. Hydrogen and Synthetic fuel which I believe will come to fruition quicker than the development of a traction battery made from 'friendly' materials.

John's taken to block your comments. That's his perogative. 

I've taken no umbrage to any post he's done. I've appreciated quite a few of them. 

There has unfortunately been a few misinformed posts and totally wrong. For example 'pollution' from tyres being worse from BEV's. Someone did however correct that and clearly differentiated between tread wear and particulates of rubber.

That's the great thing about forums. There are informative folk and misinformed folk within them. I love 'em all, even if I disagree with them.

But that's just it Vlad, it isn't the content per se, it is the manner by which they are provided.

Up until now I have chosen to keep my mouth shut despite not agreeing with some of what John has posted.

However, being called an idiot and responsible for the destruction of the planet because I own an electric car is what I objected to.

Also, I didn't resort to calling John names and yet, rather than debate the points I raised, he decided to just ignore me immediately.  Whilst that is indeed his prerogative, I do find it somewhat childish and closed minded.  Also, isn't the whole point of a forum to talk about different points of view?

The point I am trying to make is that the content itself isn't a problem, but it is the manner by which some members conduct themselves that I take objection to.  When did it become alright to just call anyone how doesn't agree with you idiots, morons, lacking intelligence?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Whilst that is indeed his prerogative, I do find it somewhat childish and closed minded.  Also, isn't the whole point of a forum to talk about different points of view?

The emerging evidence is the opposite, forums tend to gather similar minded people, and even with filtering, to an extent new knowledge/thought process become impossible to form.  

https://bpspsychub.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/bjso.12286

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shahpor said:

When did it become alright to just call anyone how doesn't agree with you idiots, morons, lacking intelligence?

It isn't on this site as per the T&Cs and members will be banned if it happens again.

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/terms-conditions/

Clearly people aren't able to have a civilised debate on these forums anymore.

Thread closed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links