Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hydrogen (H2) started before and is working now.

New way to make green hydrogen will help bring price for fuel down.

When more possibilities to produce H2 are found it much could be cheaper than fuel from conventional sources and be close to pollution free, much less damaging:

Hydrogen fuel production offers cleaner sawmill residue uses

image.thumb.png.c438350515edecbe483bed2183873421.png

By BRET WILLIAMS           https://www.hydrogenfuelnews.com/author/bret-2-2-2/

New Zealand could use wood residues from sawmill operations to produce hydrogen fuel, offering a promising opportunity to overcome environmental challenges through a large production facility, according to David Robinson, a business development manager with forestry industry experience in the Nelson Tasman region.

Contents hide

1 Some believe that New Zealand could benefit from this opportunity in the forestry industry.

1.1 Among those challenges is the opportunity to use wood residues resulting from sawmill operations.

1.2 Though this method of hydrogen fuel production doesn’t appear efficient, Robinson sees its potential.

1.2.1 Demand will be high.

Some believe that New Zealand could benefit from this opportunity in the forestry industry.

As New Zealand seeks to move forward with hydrogen fuel production and use, alternative options are being presented to create and use H2 in ways that will also help to overcome existing environmental challenges.

Among those challenges is the opportunity to use wood residues resulting from sawmill operations.

Taylors Contracting business development manager David Robinson recently published an opinion based on his experience in the forestry industry for 18 years in senior management positions in Nelson Tasman. According to Robinson, the wood residues from sawmill operations offer a strong opportunity for hydrogen fuel production.

Producing H2 from wood residues involves heating them in an oxygen-free environment, resulting in a combination of methane and H2. The H2 can be separated, and the methane produced can be used either for powering the heating process itself or for other purposes such as conversion into biodiesel.

Though this method of hydrogen fuel production doesn’t appear efficient, Robinson sees its potential.

The amount of heat consumption required in order to convert even 10 percent of the wood residues to H2 is substantial, making it appear too inefficient. However, Robinson believes that if Nelson Tasman had a hydrogen fuel production facility with a large heater, it would position the New Zealand region to overcome a problem by using it to produce H2.

image.thumb.png.315ee033c3a7d5f138d76ec978b4402b.png

The region is well positioned for this type of facility, as it is home to three large sawmills, each of which uses their residues for their wood drying furnaces. As green hydrogen demand continues to rise, the sawmills could begin producing H2 as a part of the heat production they already need for their drying processes.

Demand will be high.

The region expects that its demand for hydrogen fuel production will be great enough that the residues from sawmills alone won’t be enough to achieve those quantities.

To solve this issue, Robinson has recommended using the broader forestry sector’s slash residues, including other areas such as Whangamoas, where only a fraction of the volume currently makes it into the biofuel market.

a better more fuel efficient way to reduce the amazon Forest then ......  hahahahahahaha

sorry i mustn't jest .......  just remembering a recent post here somewhere that clearing the timber to make way for grass (and grazing opportunity? ) is actually greener and better for the environment than leaving trees standing  .  not being as environmentally efficient at being " green " as simply grass

Can we run cars on timber extracts do you think ?

Where's me new Ls700 coming from ?

Malc

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

a better more fuel efficient way to reduce the Amazon Forest then ......  hahahahahahaha

sorry i mustn't jest .......  just remembering a recent post here somewhere that clearing the timber to make way for grass (and grazing opportunity? ) is actually greener and better for the environment than leaving trees standing  .  not being as environmentally efficient at being " green " as simply grass

Can we run cars on timber extracts do you think ?

Where's me new Ls700 coming from ?

Malc

We shall not cut trees down to make hydrogen, but trees are used for many things and the places where they are being handled the wood shavings were often glued and pressed in form with more or less poisonous resins, so using the waste from making furniture and a lot of other things to make fuel for whatever is maybe not that bad.

Thought I told you that the great LS you have can be transformed to running on H2, so why would you want a 700?

Cars That Time Forgot: BMW 700

I think your 400 is better than the 700.

• Haha 1

just waiting to see whatever the   Ls700   might look like .  will one ever come ?

If Toyota went back to something like basics and used the Ls400 as the model to really really improve upon, and I mean to really improve upon, then that new model, an Ls700 maybe, might just be a car to trade " up to " in me old age 

Yes my old and revered Mk3 Ls400 is quite sound and subject to titivating about at MOT times should be fine for another few ' 00, 000's of miles and as a great and simple V8  4 ltr limo as comfy as comfy as one could ever wish for too  .  and it turns a good speed when kick down in Pwr mode ..  she's a dream machine for sure ...  who on earth wants all this new fandangled electronic teccy mullarkey for heavens sake ...............  really !

Malc

34 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

who on earth wants all this new fandangled electronic teccy mullarkey for heavens sake ...............  really !

Malc

I do. Several of the comfort features in the little CT are nice to have. Do not need to take keyout of pocket or even touch it to unlock and lock the car, mirrors folding when locking and folding out again when unlocking, rear view mirror not blinding even if cars behind have too much light on, car seat adjusting to me or wife automatic, DVD player with more than 20 hours of music without changing disc on standard DVD disc (have not yet tried if a dual DVD disc will have 40 hours or more music in m4a 512kbps quality, but will if I ever get myself together to filter all that music from the TB music collection I have gathered over the years) plus park assistance and a lot I have forgotten.

3 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

rear view mirror not blinding even if cars behind have too much light on, car seat adjusting to me or wife automatic,

mine was a Qtr century ahead of the game then 🤩

Malc

but might i buy the new Toyota Crown and personalise her with my own Ls700 style badging ....  hehehehehehehe  

AND upgrade my Mk3 too 🤩

Malc

2 hours ago, Malc1 said:

but might i buy the new Toyota Crown and personalise her with my own Ls700 style badging ....  hehehehehehehe  

AND upgrade my Mk3 too 🤩

Malc

Easy to understand. It sure looks nice.

image.thumb.png.cef19230af1099a4ae89552af6246725.png

but i would only want a 4 door with a sensible boot to take my luggage touring around ...........  wherever there's hydrogen fuel of course 

Malc

On 4/13/2023 at 10:00 PM, Las Palmas said:

Why do you think I recommend you to update to H2 fuel? The car will last forever when maintained well!

Hold on you are 'recommending' people to buy a H2 fuel car!! Does that mean you have finally bought one your self? Please share your experiences of owing one. Our current EV is now coming up to 7 years old with 71K covered, will be 9 years and 90K total EV ownership soon, so I'm more than open to try something new, as EVs are pretty much 'done' for me interms of new tech appeal :).

2 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Hold on you are 'recommending' people to buy a H2 fuel car!! Does that mean you have finally bought one your self? Please share your experiences of owing one. Our current EV is now coming up to 7 years old with 71K covered, will be 9 years and 90K total EV ownership soon, so I'm more than open to try something new, as EVs are pretty much 'done' for me interms of new tech appeal :).

What Malcolm and I write to each other are none of your business. No matter if we are joking or whatever. You are sold to EV and think that destroying the earth to look for more of the precious materials to your beloved rather short lived batteries after which they are close to impossible to reuse for other things than landfill are the way to go, so your thoughts are none of my interests.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, dutchie01 said:

This is an open forum John. Gang is fully entitled to comment on your messages. No need to react like you do?

Did I write something that is not correct?

I think it is waste of resources to put tons of precious material in something that last only a short time and at the same time destroying the planet and risk  the health of people digging for it so we can get cleaner air in a small place when the overall pollution from making and putting very heavy batteries in cars exceed the pollution not coming out of EV cars when they are driving around, not to speak about the impossibility to dissolve the bonding material used in these batteries without polluting even much more when trying to get some of the precious materials in the batteries back.

Do you think what I write is not correct?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Las Palmas said:

Do you think what I write is not correct?

It's almost impossible to write anything that's not got some incorrectness within ...........  then there's Terminological Inexactitudes ( Churchillian use in the House I understand  🤣 ) that's my favourite

Nevermind .....  we can all just chill and take another decaff coffee   ......  EVs are brilliant to those that believe so ....  but I'm going for my Hydrogen, and personalised Ls700 when BP have put enough provision in their UK wide fuel station estate ............

All I've got to do is make sure my business is making enough spondoolies to buy one outright and for HMRC to " up " the ability for my business to buy me one tax efficiently .........  whatever the price might be ....... I suspect it might be edging over the £100k mark 

Wot d'ya reckon ...  3 or 5 years away ??   at which time EVs will be a forlorn reminder of how cars used to be .....  like diesel and ULEZ expansion and Horse Drawn Carriages   🤩

I really do think Hydrogen Powered cars will be with us in some short measure tbh .. and Toyota will be at the forefront .  as with anything to do with cars almost 

NOW, how can I personalise and rebadge to Lexus   ..... .Ls700    ?

Malc

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

To be fair. BEV's will be with us for a good while yet. Those with BEV's I do have sympathy for because they're gonna get peanuts for them if they want to sell them or part-ex them.

I'm hoping and looking forward to a hydrogen infrastructure that will wipe the floor with the charging systems out there at present. 

I love my petrol powered 2.5l V6 and the sound it makes at all rev ranges. Oh that sound. Even after conversion to hydrogen I'll still have that sound. Yippeeee. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

What Malcolm and I write to each other are none of your business. No matter if we are joking or whatever. You are sold to EV and think that destroying the earth to look for more of the precious materials to your beloved rather short lived batteries after which they are close to impossible to reuse for other things than landfill are the way to go, so your thoughts are none of my interests.

So just to be clear, you are 'recommending' a product you have or haven't bought.....I'm presuming you HAVE bought a H2 fuel car, because in most other areas of life its odd to 'recommend' something you have no real life experience with?

So have you bought a H2 Fuel car or not?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

I love my petrol powered 2.5l V6 and the sound it makes at all rev ranges. Oh that sound. Even after conversion to hydrogen I'll still have that sound. Yippeeee. 

So you have convered it to run on hydrogen!! Good work, how many miles per kg of hydrogen are you getting? And what are the running costs like? Please do let us know so we can all decide if hydrogen is the route to go down :).

• Sad 1

Gang ......... .  Qs and Qs and Qs  .  chill out, it makes for better life's experiences .........  oh, I've got to prove that now somehow eh !   🤣

Malc

• Like 3

What I wanted when starting this was to inform that there are other ways to go than the dead-end road our politicians wanted us to go.

I did not want to inform about the reasons that batteries are not a solution for future transportation as that information can be found so many other places.

I wanted to inform that one of the other ways to help future life of our children as we humans stupidly enough think that we need to transport extremely many things half way around the world in order to live cannot be done with Battery powered transport systems. One of these is H2 as fuel and I just wanted to inform about the progress within that field that has come to my knowledge.

If some know about progress with other ways of reducing the damages, we are making to the planet that hopefully shall be living place for those coming after us, I will appreciate it, but comments just trying to ridicule that there are other ways to go than our politicians in their immense wisdom have ordered us on are not welcome and will be commented on in decent but precise language.

I am not blaming those having bought Battery powered cars. They have been misinformed and that is too bad as some of them are realizing. That the heavy batteries in cars will have polluted more than they have helped is not something I will spend time proving. It is a dead-end and there is no reason to continue writing about that. At least not for me.

• Like 3

Trees to suck up CO2 and reduce use of cement.

That we need to reduce CO2 is common knowledge and a way I was not informed about before is to plant trees. Some trees are more efficient in that way and one has potential to be a super helper. Paulownia is the name of it. Super-fast growing with big leaves and according to what I have read sucking much more CO2 than any other plants. It is hardwood and has been used in building houses and furniture.

image.thumb.png.68e396bfb4491af2b7225c40c612fa2f.png   image.thumb.png.ba77616782f8e1d250ec40548a72c3b8.png

The trees grow at lightning speed, and to do so they must absorb large amounts of CO₂ from the air through photosynthesis. When the CO₂ is stored in the trees in the form of carbon, the trees can be felled and used as timber, among other things. In this way, the carbon can be kept out of the air for many years to come, while new trees absorb more CO₂ out in the plantations. Sucks carbon out of the atmosphere Paulownia consists predominantly – like other plants – of carbon absorbed from the air, and since paulownia grows very quickly, it also requires a very fast absorption of CO₂.

image.thumb.png.1fd3e8cb9a4bceb1ffa64e88ad098d49.png

You stick a cutting the size of an index finger into the ground in spring, and in autumn you have a tree that is three to four centimetres thick and up to one and a half meters high. You then cut that down until next spring, and then the tree grows back and is suddenly three meters high. - In two years!

It's very big in China and in fact paulownia is part of President Xi's plan to make China CO₂ neutral from 2060.

UN looking at the tree thinking it could be the way to stop the expanding desert:

https://www.unccd.int/our-work/ggwi  

One of the problems in desert areas is that pretty much anything that can burn will. When people lack fuel, trees and bushes are quickly cut down. However, Paulownia has the advantage that it shoots again when felled. In fact, it can easily be cut back from full growth to virtually nothing six or seven times over its lifetime. On top of that, the big leaves can be used as food for animals as well as for humans.

image.thumb.png.03621b85f6802a30d62757afa448f329.png          Very big leaves

Living off dirty water – and cleaning the earth. In addition to the large absorption of CO₂, paulownia also has the advantage that it can be watered with so-called grey water, which can be utilized in the large, green wall. It can be water from swimming pools, waste water from industry or even regular sewage, as long as the dry matter is filtered out. - The grey water can be used to drip water the trees out in the desert. It is in itself fantastic that you can make a tree grow in the desert, and it can actually also help against pollution. The Paulownia trees go into symbiosis with fungi and soil bacteria and thus help with the purification of the soil.

Although paulownia grows quickly, there is no danger of it spreading into the wild. Paulownias have been sold for horticulture under the name “Imperial Tree” for more than 50 years, and they have never spread like other garden plants.

In addition to the storage of carbon in the tree itself, as with other plants, some is also stored in the soil in which they grow, in the form of so-called humus. Humus is the biological material associated with rich topsoil. And the biological material in the soil consists of carbon, which the plant originally absorbed through the air. So again, another climate benefit. There are more than 200 hectares of paulownia in Denmark. Paulownia is calculated to be able to absorb as much as 20 percent of Denmark's total CO₂ emissions in 2035. - We know very well that we have to build more sustainably and thus not so much in bricks and concrete anymore, and then there is simply a big advantage in paulownia. It just grows back every time we cut it down. We don't have to go out and plant new ones. It just keeps going. 1 hectare of paulownia absorbs more than 52 tons of CO₂ per year.

Unfortunately, all good initiatives needing governments funding are often delayed due to the lack of knowledge of our politicians.

https://www.unccd.int/our-work/ggwi/great-green-wall-accelerator

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Las Palmas said:

delayed due to the lack of knowledge

keep the trees and build  Tree Houses  in / up them .  thereby also reducing the home / house waiting lists and provide good and sound housing 

that might keep the politicians happy and the Housing Associations too ..........  new homes for the masses........... .  not so sure about resale value tho'  🤔

Malc

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

keep the trees and build  Tree Houses  in / up them .  thereby also reducing the home / house waiting lists and provide good and sound housing 

that might keep the politicians happy and the Housing Associations too ..........  new homes for the masses........... .  not so sure about resale value tho'  🤔

Malc

Are these houses built of wood you want to climb up in:

new-construction-home.png.thumb.webp.eea9494a32f007bfc0cb07020107ecc7.webp 

descarga.thumb.jpg.2c4b672c3bd9b9dd16f44e5fa77e5de5.jpg

Countdown-Top-10-US-Cities-Building-the-Most-Homes-for-Buyers-Part-1.thumb.png.eee4647215c0f62d25fba87ea1f3fb03.png

223546_462078820525524_1990794683_n.thumb.jpg.2af5bf7a578a8111e4b2e614eb567a6a.jpg

I would not mind living in a house built of natural wood.   

Resale value ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links