Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cats On My Bonnet

Rabbers

8 minutes ago, PRT68 said:

You could always pretend your car is a Jaguar.....

Good idea in theory.  I suspect that’s why the cats were frightened off a neighbour’s car and decided to frequent mine, but that’s still not a good enough reason to de-badge and thus demote my Lexus. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have a cat but considering the car doesn’t often go more than a fortnight without a wash (and given a ‘ceramic blast’ every few months), if he does go on the car it’s certainly not noticeable. 

I have, however, found the odd strand of other cats fur on it once in a blue moon!

I can imagine the Vapo Rub coming through into the cabin from the air vents whilst driving.

I can picture it now - any passenger looking confused, sniffing and saying "Can you smell Vicks?!😄

When we had cats invade our garden somebody suggested human urine spread round the periphery would do the job and indeed it did work.  However, not perhaps what you would wish to use on the ground around the car! 

15 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

… However, not perhaps what you would wish to use on the ground around the car! 

Yes, I imagine a lot of people would be rather p**sed off.

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/27/2023 at 12:02 PM, Mr_Groundhog said:

You know Vicks Vapo Rub? cats hate that smell big time

After nearly three cat-free weeks my hopes that the offending cat or cats had moved on were dashed by the discovery one morning of multiple fresh muddy paw-prints on my bonnet.  

Despite my personal olfactory misgivings I therefore decided to follow your advice and try Vicks Rub as a deterrent.  After generously smearing an old towel and rolling it tight, I laid it dry side out along the gap between wipers and bonnet before parking for the night.  Having now done so for six consecutive nights, refreshing the dose each time, I can report that the local feline population appears to be giving the car a wide berth.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that they won’t develop a taste for the stuff, but so far so good.

• Like 2

Indeed so.  I must reluctantly admit that the evanescent whiff of menthol I have been getting inside the cabin first thing in the morning has a pleasantly bracing effect on the respiratory tract after the first few sneezes.

17 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Don't tell us you're allergic to fresh air.

Yes, if it contains feline body odours and stray hairs.

Just now, dutchie01 said:

I would get that vicks towel patented see a business model here?  Tellsell?

Actually, Bernard, it's so miserable and tatty (as well as smelly) an object that I'd be ashamed to show it in public.  But I like the entrepreneurial spirit of your suggestion ....

Alas, John, the meagreness of my descriptive powers prevents me from responding and furthering this thread in any meaningful way.

But if you are truly interested in measuring the relative potencies of the smells of cat pee and Vick Rub and blends thereof in terms of residual traces, detection ranges, scales of freshness, enclosed or open spaces etc., etc., you could perhaps buy a small jar of the latter and, with experimentation in view, seek out a cat-infested alley somewhere.  The back entrances of fish restaurants would be suitable - though probably excessively prone to additional layers of smell.

2 hours ago, DavidCM said:

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGJxHjGLp/Renato   this video may help.

Excellent as an example of corks-on-your-hat stryne humour, David.  Regrettably I wouldn’t know where to find a cricket bat within a 2000km radius of where I live.  But thanks anyway.

On 5/28/2023 at 6:42 PM, Rabbers said:

Alas, John, the meagreness of my descriptive powers prevents me from responding and furthering this thread in any meaningful way.

But if you are truly interested in measuring the relative potencies of the smells of cat pee and Vick Rub and blends thereof in terms of residual traces, detection ranges, scales of freshness, enclosed or open spaces etc., etc., you could perhaps buy a small jar of the latter and, with experimentation in view, seek out a cat-infested alley somewhere.  The back entrances of fish restaurants would be suitable - though probably excessively prone to additional layers of smell.

I prefer the smell of original Tiger Balm that was used when I was a young hippie.

26 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

Excellent as an example of corks-on-your-hat stryne humour, David.  Regrettably I wouldn’t know where to find a cricket bat within a 2000km radius of where I live.  But thanks anyway.

Glad you enjoyed it..I haven't laughed so much in ages.

1 hour ago, Las Palmas said:

I prefer the smell of original Tiger Balm that was used when I was a young hippie.

Used to be the remedy of choice for flea-bites, so I guess it was popular in  hippie communities.  But surely you didn’t use it for that, did you?

31 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

Used to be the remedy of choice for flea-bites, so I guess it was popular in  hippie communities.  But surely you didn’t use it for that, did you?

As far as I remember it was used to camouflage other odours. You have wrong ideas about hippies. We did not dress properly according to the old ones (don't trust anybody over thirty) but we did live in very decent and clean places; far better than most of the school friends working like the old ones wanted them to.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links