Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Failed Hybrid Health Check :( IS300H

Just had my IS300H f sport back from the lexus main dealer after a full service and was met with a failed hybrid health check due to a P3000 diagnostic code .

I've been driving the car for 12 months and it's been flawless. No issues with the Hybrid system and no engine lights or codes on dash .

The Lexus dealer told me to drive the car for 500km and return it to them for a free Hybrid Health Check and if it passes they will put the 12 month Hybrid warranty on it as per usual . I was told I'm not driving the car enough , as I only drive it on a Sat and Sunday. 

Is this a major worry or has anyone had this before with their IS ?

5 minutes ago, Colinb623 said:

Just had my IS300H f sport back from the lexus main dealer after a full service and was met with a failed hybrid health check due to a P3000 diagnostic code .

I've been driving the car for 12 months and it's been flawless. No issues with the Hybrid system and no engine lights or codes on dash .

The Lexus dealer told me to drive the car for 500km and return it to them for a free Hybrid Health Check and if it passes they will put the 12 month Hybrid warranty on it as per usual . I was told I'm not driving the car enough , as I only drive it on a Sat and Sunday. 

Colin,

For how long (time) and how many miles do you drive each weekend?

I tend to only drive my CT at weekends, but I cover over 300 miles and have journeys of over two hours. Never had an issue.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Moleman said:

Colin,

For how long (time) and how many miles do you drive each weekend?

I tend to only drive my CT at weekends, but I cover over 300 miles and have journeys of over two hours. Never had an issue.

Hi Moleman 

On average about 50 -70 miles at the weekend.  

A few years ago I went to move my car about a yard to get round it. I started the car and moved it and just as I turned it off the engine fired up. I didn’t think anything of it really but tried it again and everything was normal. A week or so later I took it for its service and health check and it failed the health test. They tried a couple more times but it still failed.  I was asked if I had run out of petrol or left it in neutral too long. I think the engine firing up and then turning off confused the computer. The resolution was to run the car for at least 400 miles to allow it to store more details in the computer. I did this and it passed the health test every year since. No problems with it at all since.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Colinb623 said:

Hi Moleman 

On average about 50 -70 miles at the weekend.  

50 miles a week, an hours driving, might be an issue.

Try the 500k and hopefully it will sort it out.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bob99 said:

A few years ago I went to move my car about a yard to get round it. I started the car and moved it and just as I turned it off the engine fired up. I didn’t think anything of it really but tried it again and everything was normal. A week or so later I took it for its service and health check and it failed the health test. They tried a couple more times but it still failed.  I was asked if I had run out of petrol or left it in neutral too long. I think the engine firing up and then turning off confused the computer. The resolution was to run the car for at least 400 miles to allow it to store more details in the computer. I did this and it passed the health test every year since. No problems with it at all since.

Thanks BoB for your reply .

Can I ask you , was it one journey of 400 miles or a few journeys to build up 400 miles ?

Thanks all for replies 

Also on this I never received a confirmation text, email or paper work about my car now being covered under Lexus Relax Warranty.  Although the service guy said it was covered 

Had mine serviced in September 22, about a month later I received an email from the dealer stating my warranty number and start and end date  so probably just takes a while to process.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Colinb623 said:

Thanks all for replies 

Also on this I never received a confirmation text, email or paper work about my car now being covered under Lexus Relax Warranty.  Although the service guy said it was covered 

My RC was serviced recently and the service invoice did mention the year's warranty having been activated.

15 minutes ago, Bob99 said:

Had mine serviced in September 22, about a month later I received an email from the dealer stating my warranty number and start and end date  so probably just takes a while to process.

Had my GS 300h serviced 21st April and received Relax warranty email six days later.

As a former is300h owner I'm rather flabbergasted by your issue Colin. I've had is300h and a RX450h and my driving habit was a 14 mile drive to work which equates to 140 miles a week plus around 80 miles on a weekend. Never had issues with a failed hybrid health check. 

Perhaps use your car in the week. You don't have to drive far. Take my driving habit as an example. 

Driving 500km to 'reset' a computer may sound all well and good But if you Only drive at weekends then the same issue will rise again. 

My advice is replace your is300h with the superb is250. An ideal car for ultra low mileage drivers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes the issue is not driving enough mileage to properly charge the 12v Battery which then throws errors on the hybrid health check. Do a decent mleage quickly over the next couple of weeks and get the health check done again and all will probably be OK. 

• Like 1

I do love the environmental aspect of this. You need to go and burn hundreds of miles worth of fuel in the hybrid you bought so you’d use less fuel. Genius.

Same as my post-2018 petrol Kia with its GPF - it blocks every few thousand miles and the cure is kicking it’s arse for a few miles in best Italian tune up tradition, presumably throwing out the particles it’s carefully collected over the last 5000 miles in one great big cloud of stupidity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, eightk said:

I do love the environmental aspect of this. You need to go and burn hundreds of miles worth of fuel in the hybrid you bought so you’d use less fuel. Genius.

Same as my post-2018 petrol Kia with its GPF - it blocks every few thousand miles and the cure is kicking it’s arse for a few miles in best Italian tune up tradition, presumably throwing out the particles it’s carefully collected over the last 5000 miles in one great big cloud of stupidity.

Agreed in that different engines / drivetrains suit different needs. For very low mileages then a petrol ICE is probably the most reliable one. For very high mileage at constant higher speeds then a diesel ICE worked well. BEV is good for urban lower mileage and lower speed driving. The hybrid sort of sits in the middle of all of that and works for those doing reasonable mileages in a mix or urban and motorway where the average fuel consumption then makes most sense whilst limiting pollution in built up areas. And that is also why the governments crazy push for BEV for all is so flawed - they have a place but not for everyone... 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

Agreed in that different engines / drivetrains suit different needs. For very low mileages then a petrol ICE is probably the most reliable one. For very high mileage at constant higher speeds then a diesel ICE worked well. BEV is good for urban lower mileage and lower speed driving. The hybrid sort of sits in the middle of all of that and works for those doing reasonable mileages in a mix or urban and motorway where the average fuel consumption then makes most sense whilst limiting pollution in built up areas. And that is also why the governments crazy push for BEV for all is so flawed - they have a place but not for everyone... 

Yes different things work for different people. I’ve done the Tesla thing and for those occasional long journeys they’re rubbish. I’ve done the diesel Audi and VW thing and they’re too complex and noisy and weren’t much better than equivalent petrols when you price in the fuel cost difference. I did look at Mercedes hybrids but they need a new starter motor every other Tuesday so they’re no good either. Lexus hybrids make more sense I think, because they are capable of building them properly.

Small EV for short trips plus petrol for longer trips and/or fun. Narrowing it down to one car and I’d be petrol, 100%.

• Like 3

I've had a similar issue and I suggested getting a new Battery. The dealership firmly told me that I did not need a new Battery and that the problem lay with the car being used typically for short journeys. I got it booked in for a new health check later that week and I was told to take the car on a run of 30 or so miles along the motorway and back beforehand. The car passed without any problem. Ever since I always take my car on a decent run before it goes in for a service and have had no problems since.  

• Thanks 1

The issue is fault codes related to the hybrid system, or recently cleared codes, which means they cannot pass the HHC - it isn't related to how often you use the vehicle. Typically 500 miles needs to pass without fault for Toyota to be sure there isn't an intermittent issue with the hybrid system before they will pass the vehicle and issue a warranty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was asked to do the same i.e retun after 500 miles of driving as my car failed its hybrid health check. They told me that its nothing to worry about and that its most likely due to the Battery going flat when sat at the dealership. This clears all stored codes and in order to ensure that someone has not deliberately cleared the codes to hide errors they need the computer to have at least 500 miles worth of data with no errors to issue a pass certificate. Which i think is reasonable in order to prevent fraud. 

On a separate note. I didn't get any email on the relax warranty. Am I supposed to? I assumed the receipt that i serviced it with lexus within the last 12 months was sufficient. 

31 minutes ago, Notamech said:

On a separate note. I didn't get any email on the relax warranty. Am I supposed to? I assumed the receipt that i serviced it with lexus within the last 12 months was sufficient. 

’tis not so deep as a well, nor so wide as a church-door; but ’tis enough, ’twill serve...

...at least until you get the email, which I believe can sometimes take a few weeks to arrive.

• Thanks 2

Thanks everyone for your answers . It's put my mind at ease somewhat. 

It took me by surprise that it failed the hybrid health check but then again it seems the hybrid system is more complicated than I thought . I was fearing the worst to be honest .

Hopefully the retest will pass it as Hybrid Healthy after I put up 500 or so miles 👍

• Like 1

On 5/2/2023 at 6:58 PM, Colinb623 said:

Hey Colin,  i had the P3000 in January when i went for service.... Lexus cleared and told me to drive it 300 miles then bring it back for free hybrid check.
Did that and went back and passed 2nd time round.   In my case i still suspect the hybrid fan might have triggered it as last year i took the fan out to clean it.

• Thanks 1

Appreciate your answer . I did clean my hybrid fan also at one point last year .I didn't think this would trigger a code .my dash has never showed codes or lights . Hopefully when I return all will be OK. Thanks again for the reply 

5 minutes ago, Colinb623 said:

Appreciate your answer . I did clean my hybrid fan also at one point last year .I didn't think this would trigger a code .my dash has never showed codes or lights . Hopefully when I return all will be OK. Thanks again for the reply 

Mines didn't show any fault either but given we have both cleaned the hybrid fan last year and this year they detected a historic DTC for P3000 makes it highly likely it was triggered by the fan removal.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links