Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tracker Recommendation

I am thinking about getting a tracker installed on my new LC convertible. I have not been asked for one by insurance co. but having waited for a year for the car, I'd like to do the best to keep it in my hands. Can anyone recommend a installation/subscription company. I guess that I would look for  the latest S5 tracker but I have no previous experience of trackers.

16 minutes ago, Marcus63 said:

I am thinking about getting a tracker installed on my new LC convertible. I have not been asked for one by insurance co. but having waited for a year for the car, I'd like to do the best to keep it in my hands. Can anyone recommend a installation/subscription company. I guess that I would look for  the latest S5 tracker but I have no previous experience of trackers.

Marcus

https://scorpiontrack.com/

UK company and Thatcham approved and offer 'At Home'  installation arranged by them through their network of installers.  Unusually they also offer a 'Lifetime' subscription option if you plan to own the car greater than 5years. IMO Not many vehicle tracking companies offer this.  Finally they are also offering LOC members a discount so it is worth giving them a bell and mention you are a member here.  Details pasted below.

I used Scorpion on my Audi quattro with at home installation,  lifetime subscription and have had no issues at all with the product.  Installation was quick, clean and tidy.

image.thumb.png.046c140fcd0fb99c148c98268312c192.png

• Like 1

On 5/4/2023 at 11:20 AM, Marcus63 said:

Mark.. Would it not be better getting a ghost immobiliser installed much rather than a tracker.. Better to prevent the car being stolen in the first place... Just A Thought !!!

18 minutes ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

Mark.. Would it not be better getting a ghost immobiliser installed much rather than a tracker.. Better to prevent the car being stolen in the first place... Just A Thought !!!

Whether better or not, I don't know, but thanks, I will research. What are the downsides, except perhaps, not recognised by insurance.  

1 hour ago, Hillie said:

Marcus

https://scorpiontrack.com/

UK company and Thatcham approved and offer 'At Home'  installation arranged by them through their network of installers.  Unusually they also offer a 'Lifetime' subscription option if you plan to own the car greater than 5years. IMO Not many vehicle tracking companies offer this.  Finally they are also offering LOC members a discount so it is worth giving them a bell and mention you are a member here.  Details pasted below.

I used Scorpion on my Audi quattro with at home installation,  lifetime subscription and have had no issues at all with the product.  Installation was quick, clean and tidy.

image.thumb.png.046c140fcd0fb99c148c98268312c192.png

Thanks for the detailed response, I am researching them now.

3 hours ago, Marcus63 said:

Whether better or not, I don't know, but thanks, I will research. What are the downsides, except perhaps, not recognised by insurance.  

I agree with Ron, i don't understand why anyone would spend out hundreds of pounds on a device which will help you find your car once it has already been stolen.

Most  immobiliser companies  offer you a certificate which you can get a discount with some insurers, in fact i am sure i have seen a dropdown box on a online Insurance quote under " which immobiliser have you got fitted " and the Ghost one was listed, however in my experience the insurance companies that offer a discount are more expensive in the first place

My insurers required an S5 tracker - mines a scorpion track fitted by tracker team. I picked that as it was the cheapest overall cost including lifetime subscription. The app is good, you can see your speeds and routes on every journey so the tracker side definitely works but it’s not an alarm so there’s no visible deterrent.

Not sure I’d bother with a non insurance approved version although a ghost as well as a S5 tracker would be the ultimate protection.

3 hours ago, eightk said:

My insurers required an S5 tracker - mines a scorpion track fitted by tracker team. I picked that as it was the cheapest overall cost including lifetime subscription. The app is good, you can see your speeds and routes on every journey so the tracker side definitely works but it’s not an alarm so there’s no visible deterrent.

Not sure I’d bother with a non insurance approved version although a ghost as well as a S5 tracker would be the ultimate protection.

Thanks, I am currently between a Scorpion and a Smartrack  5+ Imob, which seems to offer belt and braces type protection but at a price. Its not a subject matter which  I can get excited about, my insurance has not requested it, but after waiting for a year, I'd be pretty fxxxed off if it got stolen and yes, I would probably want it back because, I can't just go into the used market and replace it. Still got another 7 days before I get it from the detailers, can't wait.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2023 at 11:20 AM, Marcus63 said:

I am thinking about getting a tracker installed on my new LC convertible. I have not been asked for one by insurance co. but having waited for a year for the car, I'd like to do the best to keep it in my hands. Can anyone recommend an installation/subscription company. I guess that I would look for  the latest S5 tracker but I have no previous experience of trackers.

I think the first thing I’d do - especially with a convertible - is go for the simpler, visible deterrent and fit a steering wheel lock.  Apart from the well proven Disklock, these alternatives seem interesting.  Turn the wheels hard into the kerb before fitting, and even towing the car away becomes a problem!

https://geartekk.com/product/steerlock-steering-wheel-lock/?_gl=1*1pflxxn*_gcl_aw*R0NMLjE2ODMzNzI0OTIuRUFJYUlRb2JDaE1JbTllcWo4dmdfZ0lWR2VydENoMG5XZ2d3RUFBWUFpQUFFZ0pjMV9EX0J3RQ..&_ga=2.33153662.1705044825.1683372492-785321425.1683372492&_gac=1.141240710.1683372492.EAIaIQobChMIm9eqj8vg_gIVGertCh0nWggwEAAYAiAAEgJc1_D_BwE

I like the concept of the Ghost system.  A car that appears to turn over but doesn’t fire up - or mysteriously stops after a few seconds  - is not something a thief wants to be caught in and may well attract attention to them.

Unless they know all about it,  it will probably prompt a rapid abandonment!

Ultimately - and given enough time - the best way to remove the car is to try to get it on to a low loader without triggering a motion alarm.  This invariably means the car is a targeted theft and is when a Tracker system proves its worth.

If chummy suspects a Tracker - and can’t immediately disable it - the usual action is to park it and see if it’s collected.  

Finally, basic elements of home security should not be ignored.  But then I suspect you’ve already considered these!

Considering the cost and rarity of the model and the time you’ve waited just to have it, I would have thought that the cost of all these measures represents a relatively small investment.  But then it’s very easy to spend someone else’s money!

At least you’ll know you’ve done everything practicable and can concentrate on just enjoying the car.

• Like 3

On 5/4/2023 at 4:29 PM, wendle said:

I agree with Ron, i don't understand why anyone would spend out hundreds of pounds on a device which will help you find your car once it has already been stolen.

Most  immobiliser companies  offer you a certificate which you can get a discount with some insurers, in fact i am sure i have seen a dropdown box on a online Insurance quote under " which immobiliser have you got fitted " and the Ghost one was listed, however in my experience the insurance companies that offer a discount are more expensive in the first place

Totally Agree Chris.. Better spending your Money on Preventative Measures.. Many Years ago chris i had a Car stolen.. When it was eventually recovered What a mess it was in..The B******S who stole it Ripped everything of value out of it Even removed the offside wheels and broke the steering column.. After that i couldnt get rid of it quick enough..Maybe that was just me but although i had spent a lot of money sorting it The car just was,nt, the same If you know what i Mean... Following that experience i rely on Croccy My pet crocodile who circles the car at night..Failing all else i just get my Good lady To sleep in The car.. Even Croccy won,t come near... GRRRRRR.. PS.. Croccy is Thatcham Approved......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/4/2023 at 4:29 PM, wendle said:

I think Mark has already explained that.  While it may well be the case that if your car’s stolen and stripped out for parts, then you may well be better off settling the insurance claim than getting a damaged car back.

But Mark has already invested a great deal of time, money and anticipation in this specific model and clearly believes that the problem of finding - and waiting  - for a replacement is not acceptable.  So I quite understand that a comparatively small sum spent to expedite its possible recovery is preferable.

After all, the Tracker companies have many case studies in which cars have been traced before the thieves have even had time to work on them.

• Like 1

My recent quotation from Scorpion for both a X Series CAN BUS Immobiliser(£449) and S5 Thatcham Approved 24/7 Monitored tracker, fitted at my home, and with a lifetime's monitoring on the tracker, (after the Lexus O C £250 discount) came to just short of £1,250

• Sad 1

Problem we have is the canbus headlight method of theft. Crowbar wing bumper and headlamp out, hack into canbus wiring, start up and steal what’s left. The anti theft devices being considered don’t have any visible sign they’re there, so by the time they realise that the car won’t start (ghost) you’ve got a very broken car. If it’s a tracker with the optional immobiliser relay to prevent starting you’ve got the same problem.

I’m thinking about doubling up with something like a Clifford alarm if they still exist - flashing LED, stickers etc so the peasants are actually aware they may have a problem before they start with the crowbars.

It would be interesting to know whether these cars are fodder for the crims or their undoubted rarity would cause them to be highly conspicuous and therefore undesirable trophies. Furthermore, I can't say I have seen anyone report the theft of their car, but I stand to be corrected.

I think you could be right in that they’re too rare to be nickable but it’s still worthwhile making it difficult for them. I’ve never heard of an LC being stolen, whereas german cars and SUVs like the RX and any range rover seem to be disappearing quite regularly.

I had a tracker in my IS-F. It gave me 3 problems:

1. False alarms several times. It didn't like speed bumps.

2. Some other problem that I can't recall. The technician who came out to fix it took ages to find it and told me how each installer had their favourite hidey-hole. When he finally uncovered it; he said "I recon xxxx installed this one"

3. Battery drain whilst away on a month holiday. I've left my RC-F several times for > 1 month with no problem. Maybe buy a trickle charger if you plan leaving it alone.

When I discovered the cost of the subscription massively outweighed the extra insurance premium, I unsubscribed. Maybe there is an IS-F owner out there running around in a tracker-fitted car without knowing it.

On 5/6/2023 at 9:37 AM, PCM said:

Apple Air Tag? 

If an AirTag is tracked moving with you then a notification is sent to your phone and you have options to track/disable them I believe.

Thief would be told they are being tracked and asking if they want to disable.

Ive got one in the RCF and only reason I’ve not removed it is because it’s not doing any harm.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links