Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus F Sport Road Tax

Hi,

We ordered our Lexus UX F Sport in Terrane Khaki with a sunroof back in January 2022 and it was delivered in June 2022. During the process we discussed on a couple of occasions keeping the price below 40,000  so as not to incur the additional VED. To our surprise we have received the road tax renewal with the additional VED. At no time during the order process and subsequent delivery period that if the list price increased before delivery we would be liable for the additional VED. Has anyone else been caught out by this and if so were you advised by the dealer.

Do you have details of what the Recommended Retail Price was at the time of purchase or MRRP Manufacturer’s Recommended Retail Price as it's sometimes known.

The VED rates are based on that and not the price you paid so the additional rate runs for 5 years after year one if it was above 40000

There,s a few been caught out even from price increases prior to delivery I believe.

This should have been explained by the dealer however they seem to focus on a sale rather than any ancillary things that cost you on top of the purchase (insurance/tax)

The additional rates are a bit of a hit which I don't agree on as the same car with less spec still chucking out the same emissions using the same roads....so you have to wonder at times ...why!

48 minutes ago, David Owens said:

Hi,

We ordered our Lexus UX F Sport in Terrane Khaki with a sunroof back in January 2022 and it was delivered in June 2022. During the process we discussed on a couple of occasions keeping the price below 40,000  so as not to incur the additional VED. To our surprise we have received the road tax renewal with the additional VED. At no time during the order process and subsequent delivery period that if the list price increased before delivery we would be liable for the additional VED. Has anyone else been caught out by this and if so were you advised by the dealer.

Hi David 

my car was ordered in january 22 Terrane Khaki with a sunroof UX with a retail of basic £31-500. i then had to pay for the premium service pack plus sunroof. 

£3-500 for the service pack £1000 for the sunroof

the car was delivered to me on July 19 22 

total cost £36-000 

3 hours ago, fourbanks said:

Hi David 

my car was ordered in january 22 Terrane Khaki with a sunroof UX with a retail of basic £31-500. i then had to pay for the premium service pack plus sunroof. 

£3-500 for the service pack £1000 for the sunroof

the car was delivered to me on July 19 22 

total cost £36-000 

What was the list price without any discounts.

Discounts arent taken into account its the full list price that they work the VED on. It must have gone over £40k as list

The vehicle list price at time of purchase including extras was a shade under 40,000 but due to price increases and spec changes this went over 40,000 by the date of first registration. The issue is that the dealer knew we were trying to keep the car under 40,000 for the road tax issue but failed to mention that if there was an increase that took it over 40,000 at the date of registration we would incur the additional VED.

47 minutes ago, David Owens said:

The vehicle list price at time of purchase including extras was a shade under 40,000 but due to price increases and spec changes this went over 40,000 by the date of first registration. The issue is that the dealer knew we were trying to keep the car under 40,000 for the road tax issue but failed to mention that if there was an increase that took it over 40,000 at the date of registration we would incur the additional VED.

If I remember right, David, your car retail at that January point was £35-000. Your car is basically the same as mine with my extras. So there is no way your car on January 22 would have been anywhere near £40-000 

I was on a 4 year PCP starting in November 2020 on a UX which speced out at around £37500 - base model, premium plus pack and sunroof. In my second year of ownership my dealer said why not have a new UX, same spec at no extra PCP payment cost (but starting a new 4 year term). I wasn't bothered but there seemed no catch apart from sticking with this type of car which I was okay about so said yes. Woe and behold when I got the new car in November 2022 the price for this spec had gone over the 40K threshold which I pointed out to the dealer. He was quite sheepish about it and said all he could do was get me into another new car after 2 years so the tax would be lost in the new lease. Not sure I would have another UX at that point as I fancy a change, possibly an ES which are 40K plus anyway.

I can relate to this as when I got mine, my goal was to keep it under £40k for that very reason - to avoid the additional VED. Obviously, the price I paid is now out of date as my F-Sport is a 2020 model. Mine's in F-Sport White and has the Premium Plus Pack, Tech & Safety Pack and the Adventure Pro pack. Total, full list price was £39,574 (I still have the picture of the info board, as it was the showroom model). 

I did have to clarify on several occasions before I signed for the car that it fell below that additional VED threshold and to be fair, that particular dealer was very good and thankfully subsequent tax reminders have shown I have indeed avoided it. 

It's disappointing to hear your dealer didn't pick up on the price rise after you mentioning wanting to avoid the high-rate VED. I can only assume the car was already in build by that point and therefore too late for you to change your order but I still completely understand your annoyance with it all. I'd be the same too. Depending on how long you choose to keep the car and knowing there's no way that you can now avoid that VED rate, they should certainly look at other options for you to 'make up' that difference. A free major service for example, that sort of thing... 

The VED rate is determined on the list price of the car ruling at the date of first registration, not when the car was ordered/paid for/delivered....

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links