Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Handbrake

Kaptkremmin

Hi all, I'm a new member purchasing a CT200h but can anyone explain how the hand brake works, first garage I looked at(not a Lexus dealer)  said the P under the gear selector was the electric handbrake, when I spoke to Lexus they said the handbrake comes on when you press the brake peddle, can anyone enlighten me.

7 hours ago, Kaptkremmin said:

Hi all, I'm a new member purchasing a CT200h but can anyone explain how the hand brake works, first garage I looked at(not a Lexus dealer)  said the P under the gear selector was the electric handbrake, when I spoke to Lexus they said the handbrake comes on when you press the brake peddle, can anyone enlighten me.

Foot (hand) brake where the clutch would normally be.

Only use it when I first start the car, i.e go to drive, or when I finally stop and shut down the car.

Left foot operated.

when I spoke to Lexus they said the handbrake comes on when you press the brake peddle, can anyone enlighten me.

Who in Lexus told you that?

There is no handbrake. Left foot position there is a foot brake. Press down and the car can be parked firmly even on steep slopes. After pressing that press the P. Before driving again release the parking brake with a short press. Do not drive with parking brake pressed down (on).

Enjoy the car and never again listen to the fool that told you to only press the P when parking.

Ian.. I Would think The Handbrake would automatically Engage when you select P That,s what Mine does.. Pressing The Brake pedal Only Allows you to Start The car Or hold setting when stationery or on an incline  But See Your Handbook If You Have one Alternatively Go To You-Tube Or Google..

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

Ian.. I Would think The Handbrake would automatically Engage when you select P That,s what Mine does.. Pressing The Brake pedal Only Allows you to Start The car Or hold setting when stationery or on an incline  But See Your Handbook If You Have one Alternatively Go To You-Tube Or Google..

Ron, not in the CT.

There is a foot (hand) brake, under the left foot.

• Like 2

When I learned to drive I was taught that using the parking brake (i.e. the handbrake) was in and of itself beneficial because it prevented the mechanism from seizing up as the possible result of corrosion - the exception to the rule being during spells of extremely cold weather when the possibility of freezing means it is better to park with the car in first gear and the brake disengaged.  
When I came to own automatic cars, I acquired the habit,  probably like most people, of simply parking in P, although I still from time to time, maybe once or twice a week, also engage the brake in the hope and belief that I am keeping the mechanism in adequately good shape. It occasionally crosses my mind that I might as well do it every time (as, of course, I always do when parking on a slope) but I guess I’m either too lazy or too forgetful.

I'm going to sound stupid, but Lexus said put your foot on the brake to engage hand brake, moleman said there is a foot hand brake near where your left foot goes, my question is being as you all know and I don't, is it a manual ratchet on off, is it a button on the floor to operate an electric motor on each rear wheel, the wife is starting to have kittens over this, so I need a little bit more clarity, a photo would be brill but not essential.

25 minutes ago, Kaptkremmin said:

I'm going to sound stupid, but Lexus said put your foot on the brake to engage hand brake, moleman said there is a foot hand brake near where your left foot goes, my question is being as you all know and I don't, is it a manual ratchet on off, is it a button on the floor to operate an electric motor on each rear wheel, the wife is starting to have kittens over this, so I need a little bit more clarity, a photo would be brill but not essential.

Manual ratchet, once pressed it lifts above the left foot and you then rest the left foot on the foot rest. It is really easy to use once you have tried it. To operate the brake again, just lift your left foot and press down. It is really easy to use.

1 hour ago, Las Palmas said:

Do not think Ian has a CT if he cannot find the parking brake next to left foot rest. There is no electric button to brake the car down on the floor.

I believe Ian is buying one & has not actually got it in his possession yet John 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Las Palmas said:

Do not think Ian has a CT if he cannot find the parking brake next to left foot rest …

I was wondering the same thing yesterday when reading this thread at my dealer while waiting for my car to be serviced.  Being a little confused by the original query I took a peep inside a CT in the used-cars park, and was relieved (though not surprised) to see the parking brake pedal next to the footrest.  I think confusion would be avoided if the term “parking brake” was adopted in normal parlance irrespective of foot or hand activation.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, janey said:

I believe Ian is buying one & has not actually got it in his possession yet John 😉

Could be correct.

Still, the person selling a CT telling to only use the P button as parking brake should not be listened much to

1 hour ago, Kaptkremmin said:

Not got it yet, was hopefully going for a proper look at it tomorrow.

CT has a foot operated parking brake, similar to the RX which I believe you are familiar.

P on the transmission is again similar to the RX - it locks the transmission and that's all some people use when parking, but to lock the brakes (rear wheels) you need to use the parking brake.

• Like 1

Like Peter says. And picture shows.

No handbrake, but a foot-parking-brake.

Do not leave the car parked with just the P button pressed, as it only is a pawl locking the drive train and if car has a push that pawl can brake and it will cost, like all other things in Lexus cars, a fortune to get it fixed.

Always when parking press the foot-parking-brake before turning off the car. The P button is actually not really needed as the car will automatically put it in P when power is off.

image.thumb.png.c46e4efa575d53efdd4df9d4be353506.png

Well I took the test drive, faultless as expected, comes with 12mths warranty for peace of mind, but you wouldn't believe this I can't for the life of me remember the handbrake on the RX. The wife was getting into a bit of a flap about using the foot operated handbrake on a hill, told her to forget about it as the car won't roll back and think about only using it when parking and getting out.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links