Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Dressing

Poundy

Thought I would share this as I felt it was a real bang for the buck.

I decided to do a number on my Wife's Ct engine bay after finding an old bottle of Meguire's Engine Dressing in the shed. Bearing in mind it has been left untouched since we purchased the car over 5 years ago, it came up close to as new after just 20 mins spraying on and spreading in the tight places with a brush and with a cloth on the bigger sections, then wiping off. The bonus bit was the plastic that houses the wipers that had turned grey over the years through sun deterioration  likewise with the rear wiper and mirror surrounds. Love the stuff 🙂 

engine 1.jpg

engine 2.jpg

Nice one Poundy! 👋

Thankfully no relation to Harry then ... who, in your defence, would probably act very slowly and make things look very untidy! 😉

• Haha 1

Norman, the picture you posted looked impressive, so I sought out the product online and noticed that the top left-hand corner of the label states that the "Engine Dressing" is "Step 2", meaning, I quickly deduced 🤓 that Meguiars would like you to undertake a "Step 1" beforehand.  This, further research showed, is by using another product in the range called "Engine Clean".  Would you agree that one can probably forgo the latter unless the engine and surrounding components are really filthy (which mine aren't)?

58 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

Norman, the picture you posted looked impressive, so I sought out the product online and noticed that the top left-hand corner of the label states that the "Engine Dressing" is "Step 2", meaning, I quickly deduced 🤓 that Meguiars would like you to undertake a "Step 1" beforehand.  This, further research showed, is by using another product in the range called "Engine Clean".  Would you agree that one can probably forgo the latter unless the engine and surrounding components are really filthy (which mine aren't)?

Personally I'd use methylated spirit on a rag, or isopropanol (also on a cloth) just to wipe over any mucky areas and then use the Step 2

1 hour ago, Rabbers said:

That 2nd product sounds like a degreaser. Overkill unless your engine bay is un-Lexus-like and covered in oil spills & leaks.

A regular APC (All-purpose cleaner) is sufficient.

1 hour ago, J Henderson said:

A regular APC (All-purpose cleaner) is sufficient.

As a matter of fact that’s what I’ve always used, generally satisfactorily except for rubber hoses etc., which tend to stay grey-ish unless treated with products like Nextzett Gummi Plege or AngelWax Elixir, both of which I find rather too expensive for this specific purpose.

14 hours ago, Rabbers said:

As a matter of fact that’s what I’ve always used, generally satisfactorily except for rubber hoses etc., which tend to stay grey-ish unless treated with products like Nextzett Gummi Plege or AngelWax Elixir, both of which I find rather too expensive for this specific purpose.

I use Gummi Pflege on the rubber seals, but 303 aerospace on the rubber hoses and rest of the engine bay. After cleaning everying up it just needs spraying on and then left to dry, no buffing/wiping down needed.

35 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

I use Gummi Pflege on the rubber seals, but 303 aerospace on the rubber hoses and rest of the engine bay. ….

That’s interesting.  We have had a spray-bottle of 303 in the house for quite some time since my wife uses it only once or twice a year to protect the back of a leather armchair from the direct sunlight it gets through a window.  I guess I’ll be borrowing some!

On 5/28/2023 at 4:39 PM, Rabbers said:

I imagine stage 1 is a degreasing agent and in my case unnecessary as the majority was general dry grime and water marks. 

The beauty of this product is it versatility in being able to perform on all plastics and rubber hoses etc

Loving the black look exterior wiper panel, rear wiper and Ext mirror surrounds. Which had started tuning ash coloured even though I had previously tested just about every other plastic and interior revivers.

This will be my sole plastic /rubber dressing in future. Hmm! tyre walls? maybe 🤔

On 5/28/2023 at 2:29 PM, Sundance said:

Nice one Poundy! 👋

Thankfully no relation to Harry then ... who, in your defence, would probably act very slowly and make things look very untidy! 😉

If it had been anything to do with Harry, I would have left it on the bench in my shed 

• Haha 1

On 5/29/2023 at 11:11 AM, Rabbers said:

That’s interesting.  We have had a spray-bottle of 303 in the house for quite some time since my wife uses it only once or twice a year to protect the back of a leather armchair from the direct sunlight it gets through a window.  I guess I’ll be borrowing some!

It's quite versatile stuff. I use it on all the interior plastics as well as the leather seats, as it provides UV protection.

8 minutes ago, Poundy said:

Hmm! tyre walls? maybe …

To judge by your photo - and unless you’re looking for the over-glossy surface most tyre dressings give - I would be optimistic.

30 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

Given its name, what kind of rubbers do you use it on? 🙂

The rubber on the doors are much more like new rubber after having it on them, not spray, but with a soft cloth. Also the metal parts on the sun-roof (Moon-Roof in Lexican language).

7 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

Given its name, what kind of rubbers do you use it on? 🙂

Think that flew over a few heads 😄

I would find it difficult asking a young female shop assistant for a bottle of "tool lubrication spray" that you rub on with a soft cloth.

Bad enough asking for Dressing up Spray 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Poundy said:

…I would find it difficult asking a young female shop assistant for a bottle of "tool lubrication spray" that you rub on with a soft cloth….

I’m guessing an older one would be probably be more cooperative.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Rabbers said:

I’m guessing an older one would be probably be more cooperative.

One of my Dad bits of advice in my early night clubbing days was.....

" if you are aiming to get lucky tonight, try and choose an older woman, she will make you a cup of tea afterwards " 😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Poundy said:

…  try and choose an older woman, she will make you a cup of tea afterwards " 

Sound advice from a man of obviously liberal views,  though some would say old tea bags are best avoided.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links