Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

am I nuts here ?? thinking to get a Sc430 ( as well as )

Problem I have, along with my mildly eccentric and not short of funds neighbours, is that we park our cars on the road, the public highway, albeit going nowhere exotic nor ever too busy BUT full of parked cars ….. with generally too many for each household, mostly terraced old and sometimes quite ancient houses …… so I’m thinking I’ll just let my “ needs “ for a cabriolet just fall away and de-stress about my ludicrous parking issues …… maybe I’ll buy Premium Bonds instead 🤩

Malc 

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, Howplum said:

Early 50s Chevy?

It's a 53/54 Chevy Bel-Air. Nice but heavy and thirsty and gutless by modern standards unless the engine has been replaced.
The Corvettes are nice but they don't handle like an MX5/S2000/Elise.
My "American" garage would have a Corvette C2 convertible, a 70s Challenger/Barracuda, and a 55/56/57 Nomad.

• Like 2

Interesting comparisons ,my two pennyworth I have run an IS250C and a MX5 for years chalk and cheese !  MX5 is brilliant and is a sports car I have had 4  IS250 is a cruiser in the sunshine with our advancing years my wife wanting more comfort also saw Last Tango in Halifax ,and said we should have one of those.We could not find the Messa red so bought a metallic blue one We have had it almost. 8 years it is well built and reliable ,I carry out all the work and it wants for nothing .The rear seats are small not a true 4 seater .Have a test drive and see what you think compared to the SC 430 which does not float my boat.I now have to make a big decision ;I don't need 2 cars so I must think about selling 1  which one the MX5 or the Lexus ?

1 hour ago, true blue said:

I don't need 2 cars so I must think about selling 1  which one the MX5 or the Lexus ?

I think you would struggle with the MX5 as a do everything car, even if it's just personal transport for yourself what about the odd trip to the dump or getting stuff from the DIY store etc?

1 hour ago, true blue said:

Interesting comparisons ,my two pennyworth I have run an IS250C and a MX5 for years chalk and cheese !  MX5 is brilliant and is a sports car I have had 4  IS250 is a cruiser in the sunshine with our advancing years my wife wanting more comfort also saw Last Tango in Halifax ,and said we should have one of those.We could not find the Messa red so bought a metallic blue one We have had it almost. 8 years it is well built and reliable ,I carry out all the work and it wants for nothing .The rear seats are small not a true 4 seater .Have a test drive and see what you think compared to the SC 430 which does not float my boat.I now have to make a big decision ;I don't need 2 cars so I must think about selling 1  which one the MX5 or the Lexus ?

I would keep the Lexus. You could probably get more for the Lexus though.

1 hour ago, Las Palmas said:

I would keep the Lexus. You could probably get more for the Lexus though.

Wouldn’t hesitate keeping the Lexus …….. you know it’s barmy not to ……. so then …….. how much is the MX5 ??? …..

did I really ask that Q …… our old Mazda 323f was a simply brilliant outstanding little car …… I have high regard for Mazda …… but ours did rust away …. it’s a car, they all do that eventually 🤔

Malc 

MX5 is not a practical car. No back seats (not even room for a thin suitcase unless you are 4'10") and the boot is laugh-out-loud tiny. The suspension is good but very FIRM so if you drive over a postage stamp you can tell if its 1st or 2nd Class (a slight exaggeration 🤣). But as a backroad go-cart it (along with the S2000 & Elise) is sublime. It's more of a pale approximation of a motorcycle than a car, but if motorcycles scare you then it's about as close as you will get,... unless you can find a Carver One.
If it has to be a V8 Convertible, then here are your choices. https://www.convertiblecarmagazine.com/buyers_guide/engine_type/v8/

• Like 1

OMG are any of these remotely affordable to run ?  Let alone buy 

Bentleys out as I don’t wish to outclass my Bentley owning  neighbours ….. also my bro had one many moons back …… I would like one BUT it would have to be a Roller RR 😂

And parking that kerbside would def be eccentric, well unless I was in Monaco maybe 😄

Malc  

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, BigBoomer said:

It's a 53/54 Chevy Bel-Air. Nice but heavy and thirsty and gutless by modern standards unless the engine has been replaced.
The Corvettes are nice but they don't handle like an MX5/S2000/Elise.
My "American" garage would have a Corvette C2 convertible, a 70s Challenger/Barracuda, and a 55/56/57 Nomad.

The Chevy weighs the same as a base mondeo and a lot less than an LS400 - that may surprise folks. It also may surprise folk that the 375hp fuel injected V8 makes it go rather nicely,combined with decent handling with TCI mustang 2 front suspension and Ford Explorer rear end, with discs all round, power steering etc. A popular misconception is that American cars don't handle, but they'd get a real surprise with a C5 Corvette. Most disappointed i've been with a car was when we test drove a new MX5 for my wife. I thought the handbrake was on. The Honda was really a bit too revvy for me with no decent torque and would have become a bit tiresome, but a nice package. I've never tried an Elise, so can't comment, but got put of Lotus cars in the 70's.

Pete

• Like 1

I know it's a bit barmy .  well more so .  BUT there's a 2011 Toyota Crown Royal being sold by some importers in B'ham way  .  looks a nice comfy car and with all the great features of my  ..  2006 Honda Legend  but without the sunroof .  and only £325 Road tax it seems

I'm asking the garage lots of Qs upcoming 

Anyone any thoughts on which Qs i might be best advised to ask ?

She's easy to find on AutoTradeeer if anyone wants to search her out 

Thanks

Malc

2 hours ago, Malc1 said:

I know it's a bit barmy .  well more so .  BUT there's a 2011 Toyota Crown Royal being sold by some importers in B'ham way  .  looks a nice comfy car and with all the great features of my  ..  2006 Honda Legend  but without the sunroof .  and only £325 Road tax it seems

I'm asking the garage lots of Qs upcoming 

Anyone any thoughts on which Qs i might be best advised to ask ?

She's easy to find on AutoTradeeer if anyone wants to search her out 

Thanks

Malc

The white one Malc?

18 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

The white one Malc?

It’s a black 61 plate Import and in B’ham with 32,500 miles 

• Thanks 1

I’ve got a list of Qs to ask the importer garage if I decide to think about it some more 

they’ve said it will have a new MOT so I’ll let them worry about the speedo issue 

they say Road Tax at £325 ( same as my 95 Ls400 this year  🥵)

Reading up about these Crown’s and the Majesta model was the Top of the Range it seems BUT below the introduced Ls range ……. So I’m far from sure 🤔

Malc

2 hours ago, Howplum said:

Or maybe a BMW 6 series convertible?

A BMTroubleU with probable unending catastrophic drains on my poor bank balance might be that stoep 2 far 😰

Malc 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, plastic orange said:

The Chevy weighs the same as a base mondeo and a lot less than an LS400 - that may surprise folks. It also may surprise folk that the 375hp fuel injected V8 makes it go rather nicely,combined with decent handling with TCI mustang 2 front suspension and Ford Explorer rear end, with discs all round, power steering etc. A popular misconception is that American cars don't handle, but they'd get a real surprise with a C5 Corvette. Most disappointed i've been with a car was when we test drove a new MX5 for my wife. I thought the handbrake was on. The Honda was really a bit too revvy for me with no decent torque and would have become a bit tiresome, but a nice package. I've never tried an Elise, so can't comment, but got put of Lotus cars in the 70's.

Oh a 53 Chevy can handle and go if you throw money at it, but so can any car. From the factory it was 1.5 tons and 115Bhp with a 0-60 in the 20 second bracket.
Most American cars don't handle since there is very little need for it over there but they have been getting better recently, and a few of their manufacturers are even starting to remember what build quality means, but then with competition from Toyota/Honda/Nissan they really have no choice.

• Like 2

Ok guys  ......... I've email asked some searching Qs of the garage selling this black Toyota Crown Royal ......  it looks to be an early but on the cusp of the later version, with the just slightly later Toyota Crowns being hybrid ......  lesser teccy and electronics stuff and just petrol running would be a comfort for me tbh  .....  also I can't see it has SatNav so no Jap language idiosyncracies to worry about there 😉

This is my list of Qs  .  let's see if the garage comes back to me sometime soon ....  wonder what my offer might be ££££  ? 

Has your Crown Royal any ............

SatNav ..........  I can’t see it from the piccys

Reversing cameras 

Is the radio very limited to UK  FM only or ……. ? 

phone charging point or several ?

Air suspension or ? 

Sun roof 

Tyre car jack

What make tyres 

TPMS  

Any repaired bodywork damage ….. dings dents whatever ? 

What’s the Japan Toyota Main Dealer service records and is it available  ( even in Japanese would be fine for me ) ? 

Which Japanese Auction Grade is this car  ?

And you’re confirming the car will have a new MOT on purchase ?   Please clarify the necessity for the speedo to not having to also be in standard UK MPH

Thank you

12 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Ok guys  ......... I've email asked some searching Qs of the garage selling this black Toyota Crown Royal ......  it looks to be an early but on the cusp of the later version, with the just slightly later Toyota Crowns being hybrid ......  lesser teccy and electronics stuff and just petrol running would be a comfort for me tbh  .....  also I can't see it has SatNav so no Jap language idiosyncracies to worry about there 😉

This is my list of Qs  .  let's see if the garage comes back to me sometime soon ....  wonder what my offer might be ££££  ? 

Has your Crown Royal any ............

SatNav ..........  I can’t see it from the piccys

Reversing cameras 

Is the radio very limited to UK  FM only or ……. ? 

phone charging point or several ?

Air suspension or ? 

Sun roof 

Tyre car jack ? 

What make tyres 

TPMS  

Any repaired bodywork damage ….. dings dents whatever ? 

What’s the Japan Toyota Main Dealer service records and is it available  ( even in Japanese would be fine for me ) ? 

Which Japanese Auction Grade is this car  ?

And you’re confirming the car will have a new MOT on purchase ?   Please clarify the necessity for the speedo to not having to also be in standard UK MPH

Thank you

If you get all the positive answers you maybe are looking for, you risk having one more car to park. Tried an old Crown in 198X and it was great.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links