Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thinking of buying my first NX300h

Hi. I'm new here and looking for buying advice if any members can help please?

I'm moving from Volvo after over 30 years and leaning towards the Lexus NX300h, either Premier or F-Sport because I want the lumbar support option. Want the updated dash, so 2018 onwards and budget allows MY 2018 to 2020 (at a push).

If anyone can please advise on what to look for, questions to ask before buying, service tips (how not to get ripped off!) and info on how to protect against costs if batteries fail etc I would really appreciate the advice.

Many thanks in advance.

Rod

1 hour ago, Rod Bint said:

Hi. I'm new here and looking for buying advice if any members can help please?

I'm moving from Volvo after over 30 years and leaning towards the Lexus NX300h, either Premier or F-Sport because I want the lumbar support option. Want the updated dash, so 2018 onwards and budget allows MY 2018 to 2020 (at a push).

If anyone can please advise on what to look for, questions to ask before buying, service tips (how not to get ripped off!) and info on how to protect against costs if batteries fail etc I would really appreciate the advice.

Many thanks in advance.

Rod

I would bite the financial bullet and buy from a Lexus Dealer, one with a full service history.

Provided you have the car serviced at a main Lexus dealer, you get a 10 year Relax Warranty. Servicing is not cheap but you will get peace of mind knowing that non-consumable repairs should be covered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I would bite the financial bullet and buy from a Lexus Dealer, one with a full service history.

Provided you have the car serviced at a main Lexus dealer, you get a 10 year Relax Warranty. Servicing is not cheap but you will get peace of mind knowing that non-consumable repairs should be covered.

To combat the not so cheap servicing, get a service plan. It's future price rise proof and replacement parts included, easy monthly payments

• Like 2

Having also had three Volvo XC60's in the last ten years we purchased our first Lexus and although it's a 350h our main worry was the seats. Can confirm in our case they are equally as good Volvo and the car is a lot quieter.

After over a year we are still extremely pleased with the move to Lexus.

• Like 1

As others have said, buy from a Lexus dealer if possible. I ran a 300h luxury for 4 years - brilliant car, extremely comfortable and amazingly economical. I averaged over 40mpg in 4 years.

• Like 1

I have hired in the past Volvo XC 60 and XC 40 all petrol.  I thought they are good cars and if I remember the prices were about the same, but for me not as good as a Lexus. Also like others have said, do buy from a Lexus dealer. 

• Like 2

I've got an early 2015 f-sport service costs aren't that bad if on a service plan my nNX is £6 a month more than the misses Toyota Yaris.  Worries of the Battery Life every year on the service it's checked and is healthy, the only Battery worry I would say is the 12v if you leave the car to stand for long periods over 3 week's it can lead to it deteriorating and getting a flat Battery. Apart from the 12v Battery issues love the NX great for 200miles+ for comfort. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rod,

Welcome to the community. It’s great to hear that you’re considering the Lexus NX300h.

I got my 2015 Luxury NX 300h a month ago and it is a brilliant car. Switched from a BMW.

Lumbar support, I agree with you, though the seats are very comfortable, at times I feel some discomfort, I am not sure what is causing it or if I am just getting used to it - overall I am happy so far.

The ride is amazing and quiet, play your music and hit the road, enjoy the beats - and on EV mode, superb experience. 2018's I am sure it will be even better 🙂

As others have shared, please purchase from a main Lexus dealer.

⚙️Service history: Even if the car carries an approved badge, ask for the service records to ensure that the vehicle has been properly maintained. You can ask if you could view the service history or a printout to help you. This can give you an idea of any past repairs or maintenance that have been done.

🔋Battery health: Inquire about the Battery health of the hybrid system. Typically, hybrid batteries have a long lifespan, Lexus Select-approved cars should be fine, but it’s still worth checking their condition and any warranty coverage.

🪝Upsells: The dealer will offer upsells such as paint protection, gap insurance, alloy wheel protection, tyre insurance and extended warranty. If you opt for any of these, there is room for negotiation. From my experience, they rarely negotiate on the car price, but they do work out discounts on these extra products.

🛠️Service: The service is not cheap, full service will cost about £598 and the interim about £305 I think. However, the Lexus service gives you peace of mind and an extra year of warranty on every service, which is brilliant. So I would suggest sticking to Lexus service centres. And.... definitely get the service plan, they spread the cost over interest-free, which should work out to about £35ish a month for two years.

The adaptive cruise control is something I need to get used to compared to my BMW, the one on Lexus I felt is a bit too aggressive with breaking.

Apart from that, I cannot comment much on other factors such as reliability and maintenance since I am a very new Lexus owner; so far I love my car - the build, the drive, the music, and the fuel efficiency (41 MPG on eco).

On Eco, sometimes I feel that it needs more power, but just turn the dial and it delivers. The Normal and Sport mode makes it even more fun to drive, but I am okay with Eco mode as it suits my commute.

It is not a 0 - 60 car under x seconds car but can deliver power on demand. I can see it is very thoughtfully designed, everything is in place where it should be.

Love the EV mode, and wish it can do more miles on EV mode 🙂

I was after a 2018 but not sure how or why but this 2015 came along and I just bought it - as you can see, I am happy with my Lexus so far.

I hope this helps.

Best of luck with your purchase!

Warm regards,
Bill

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kaizen said:

🛠️Service: The service is not cheap, full service will cost about £598 and the interim about £305 I think. However, the Lexus service gives you peace of mind and an extra year of warranty on every service, which is brilliant. So I would suggest sticking to Lexus service centres. And.... definitely get the service plan, they spread the cost over interest-free, which should work out to about £35ish a month for two years.

just bought a service plan for years 4 & 5, just under £46 a month 32 payments (£1472 total) . Includes parts / labour / MOT for 2 services.
Which if you take into account just the service & MOT costs, the extra £450 or so, covers 2 hybrid health checks and 2 years manufacturers warranty. I know a little simplistic, but that's how I see it, and I see it as great value. After all they are very complicated vehicles.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi.

If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

I did try Adrian Flux for my lovely new NX450 and with two claims in five years you couldn’t insure me. 

2 minutes ago, WhiteHart said:

I did try Adrian Flux for my lovely new NX450 and with two claims in five years you couldn’t insure me. 

Sorry and a London postcode 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links