Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Battery issue or nit

I have 2016 nx 300h with 45000 on the clock.

I parked the car in the airport recently and left it for two weeks.Upon my return I went to the car and used th key fob to  open the doors and boot no problems.

When I got inside the usual dashboard instructions came up to start the car and it illuminated like Blackpool lights but would not go tried it a few times with same result but noted the wipers had slowed down a lot when activated them.

Called the breakdown service and he placed the power back on and away to go drove home 50 miles or so no problem and no problem since.Went to a garage to see if a Battery replacement was required. They placed the multi meter on the terminals and said Battery was good fully charged and at this time did nor recommend replacement despite the explanation I had given.

I have had the car from new and just wanted views on replacing the Battery as I will be leaving car in the airport in the Autumn for a week.

The Battery is in the boot but the booster connections were under the bonnet first time I had ever seen this.

I previously had a RAV4 and a number of owners had a similar issue to yours. Here's a typical thread on the 12V auxiliary Battery. Many owners now carry a NOCO Battery jump starter as a precaution.

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/211906-12v-battery-keeps-going-flat/

• Like 3

My IS300h that I just sold had the original 12v Battery from new in 2013, never had a problem, even going on holiday for 2 weeks several times. Must have been lucky.

My guess is that the Battery will be fine if left for a week, as long as the car's been used regularly to keep it charged. That said, it wouldn't hurt to take Colin's advice and spend £30-40 on a portable jump starter, as it's a handy item to have, whatever the case.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice the Battery is in the boot but when the breakdown person arrived he opened the bonnet and placed the crocodile clips on a connection on the left hand side near the bulkhead first time I have seen this.

You should be fine for a week, in fact you should have been fine for two weeks so that indicates the Battery isn't holding as much charge as it did when new.

To help the situation you should unlock the vehicle and put it into Ready mode before opening the boot - the tailgate motor consumes quite a bit of power which probably contributed to then not being able to go into Ready mode.

1 hour ago, Alex 123 said:

Thanks for the advice the battery is in the boot but when the breakdown person arrived he opened the bonnet and placed the crocodile clips on a connection on the left hand side near the bulkhead first time I have seen this.

That's fine, no problem.

12V at the front is the same as 12V at the back, 12V is 12V no matter where it is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alex 123 said:

Thanks for the advice the battery is in the boot but when the breakdown person arrived he opened the bonnet and placed the crocodile clips on a connection on the left hand side near the bulkhead first time I have seen this.

The jump start points are actually in the engine compartment even though the 12V Battery is in the rear of the car.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hayzee said:

The jump start points are actually in the engine compartment even though the 12V battery is in the rear of the car.

Possible jump start points are in both front and rear.

As I said above, 12V at the front is the same as 12V at the back. 12V is 12V whether at front or back and electrically it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever which you use. The only reason for the advice to use the front is that batteries can generate hydrogen gas and if a spark is caused whilst placing or removing jump leads, it could ignite the gas and cause an explosion, but the front jump point is far enough away from the Battery so as to negate that risk.

Having said that, the risk seems to be more theoretical than reality. In almost 50 years of driving and hobby spannering I've never seen it happen and neither have any friends, family or work colleagues.

• Like 3

On 7/4/2023 at 3:55 PM, Herbie said:

The only reason for the advice to use the front is that batteries can generate hydrogen gas and if a spark is caused whilst placing or removing jump leads, it could ignite the gas and cause an explosion, but the front jump point is far enough away from the battery so as to negate that risk.

The main reason to use the front points is because you can access them when the Battery is flat - mechanical key to unlock the driver's door and mechanical bonnet release. Depending on the specific vehicle, the tailgate needs electrical power to unlock - otherwise you are having to climb in through the back seats and then trying to manually release the lock.

• Like 4

On 7/3/2023 at 3:34 PM, Alex 123 said:

I have had the car from new and just wanted views on replacing the battery as I will be leaving car in the airport in the Autumn for a week.

Well, you could get a new Battery, Neil.   As has already been pointed out, it is probably past its best.

You could get a NOCO power pack.  They are great bits of kit and mine has certainly come to the rescue of neighbours, if not my Lexus as yet.

But I don’t think anyone has yet suggest a third option - a CTEK trickle charger.  These come with leads that connect permanently to the Battery posts - or the connection points, in your case - and to which the CTEK then connects.  They offer a range of programs, from desulphation to reconditioning, in addition to fit-and-forget charging.

It’ll soon become obvious if the Battery is actually failing to hold a charge - in which case replacement is the answer anyway.  Otherwise an overnight charge before parking the car up, should be sufficient.

In any case, it’s another bit of kit that’s always worth having!

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2023 at 3:34 PM, Alex 123 said:

I have 2016 nx 300h with 45000 on the clock.

I parked the car in the airport recently and left it for two weeks.Upon my return I went to the car and used th key fob to  open the doors and boot no problems.

When I got inside the usual dashboard instructions came up to start the car and it illuminated like Blackpool lights but would not go tried it a few times with same result but noted the wipers had slowed down a lot when activated them.

Called the breakdown service and he placed the power back on and away to go drove home 50 miles or so no problem and no problem since.Went to a garage to see if a battery replacement was required. They placed the multi meter on the terminals and said battery was good fully charged and at this time did nor recommend replacement despite the explanation I had given.

I have had the car from new and just wanted views on replacing the battery as I will be leaving car in the airport in the Autumn for a week.

The battery is in the boot but the booster connections were under the bonnet first time I had ever seen this.

I Take it This is the original Battery Neil...As It Is 5 Years old the Battery might have deteriorated slightly and although when tested shows the correct level of charge might need to consider replacing  I Might Be wrong though Just a Hunch...

Yes I think for piece of mind I will replace it shortly as I am going abroad next month albeit for only one week this time.

At present using the car daily there are no issues I was just wondering I have an Halfords voucher as a gift for £25 which could be used to purchase/ fit anew Battery. I was just wondering if their staff have the skill to be able to fit an appropriate Battery.

2 hours ago, Alex 123 said:

Just a quick question any idea which 12v battery shock be fitted for example Halfords £81 a local battery centre £160 would you trust Halfords

Mmmmmm.

Unfortunately, you are asking a question that's impossible for us to answer (with any authority), for it all depends upon the particular staff, in your chosen Halfords.

In my local branches - I wouldn't trust them to tell me the correct time, let alone do any work on my car. (You may be luckier in Port Talbot of course).

Personally, I'd suggest that you replace the Battery yourself, (it really isn't too demanding, however, if you'd rather a garage fit one, speak to a good local independent garage, and tell them exactly what Battery you want fitting.

A couple of years ago when I had to replace the 12v Battery on my 300h I was told that a “bog standard” Battery was not suitable for the hybrid and need something with a better spec.

Being dubious I went around to my local Toyota dealership ( Lexus not local) and spoke to service manager - told that while they had standard 12v batteries in stock it would take 2 to 3 days to source a Battery suitable for the hybrid.

Hi Alex. I've had this exact same thing on at least one car and another couple with old weak batteries. Generally (in response to your Halfords Q) Yuasa are regarded as some of the best batteries in the world so that's what I had been using in my 2nd to last Subaru 3.0 Legacy. 12V...

I had the issue of the Battery dying every so often from trickle power (like car windows used whilst engine/alternator off). Took back to Halfords to ask em to check the Battery which came with a 5 year warranty, was a Yuasa and only less than 2 years old.

Their tests showed similar to yours (I like and trust Halfords, though I generally don't let many mechanics go near my car) and that it was healthy. Anyway, somehow I managed to convince them that I had a Battery issue (I think by swapping out the Battery from another car and the problems disappearing). Had the Yuasa Battery replaced under the warranty and never had a problem since.

Currently on the LS430 it's a strong/good Battery but probably a bit old. Shows up as being healthy (green light on battery) but I'm certain it could benefit from a replacement. A new Yuasa should be on the cards soon as this one must be about 10 years old or longer...

In summary, yes... Change the Battery for a new Yuasa but keep the old one. If the problem persists you have a chance it could be a Battery drain from somewhere else, but I'll wager the Battery will sort it!!

Personally i have a Yuasa as well in my is300h but I think the reason to go for original is that Yuasa are still wet lead acid batteries while the original one is an AGM type Battery. I think it's designed to charge faster and also in case of a crash theres no acid to spill out. 

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links