Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sadly someone has mounted the pavement and smashed my gate into the rear of my RX450h also taking out a tree further down the pavement.
image.thumb.png.9ef1a059df1213e9cc8972c9a7ed0ba1.png

We'll see what the repairers think, sadly the lens on the rear light has been smashed and there is a small crease in the tailgate so while I'm certain it's not a write off it's not going to be cheap.
image.thumb.png.69c7e9134c9bd3223dbea9b24669dd44.png
Driver of the "zipcar" rental that did this then managed to drive on for another half mile or so before crashing into a lamp post at a bus stop. Three people have been taken to hospital, police told me the driver had a seizure and no drink / drugs involved. I also have a CAD number from the Met so claiming on the zipcar insurance should be fairly easy.

On the plus side Lexus Insurance have booked it in at the Lexus Woodford body shop (just waiting for a call to confirm dates from Woodford) and seem to be quick to answer the phone etc. So my "stress" levels are low on this. They also offered the option of Jemca Croydon, but I know the Woodford body shop as it's where I get my service done.

I suspect the gate will be a bigger pain to get sorted out.

Just wanted to share some of my pain...

• Sad 5

Ouch - bad luck all around that is

The gate more than likely will be a real pain to get sorted.

I think itll be  hefty repair bill - somewhere around £5-6k. The light alone will probably be about £1k and Lexus tend to replace bumpers / tailgates rather than remove dents / repair it 

I had a quote of around £3500 to supply, fit and paint match a rear bumper for my GS from Jemca Edgware Road. I will say they did an exceptional job on a hard to match, three stage pearlescent colour but the price (paid by insurance) was a bit eye watering!

I would imagine a fairly chunky bill for the damage to your RX…

Peter, I truly feel for you.

I had what appears to have been similar damage involving replacement of the rear bumper and the boot-lid of my RC - see my RC Forum post “Rear-ended in Copenhagen”, started 1 July 2020.  The total repair cost was €3400 negotiated directly without my involvement by my insurance company  with the repairer, an authorized Lexus body shop.  Presumably a new tailgate for an RX will cost more than a boot-lid for an RC, so, considering that other component and labour costs will also have increased since 2020, I guess you will be looking at £5000 at the very least. 

Looking back, my own irritation was compounded by the slowness of communications between insurance companies in two countries.  I realize it’s not much consolation, but at least you won’t have this problem. 

Just wandered off for a quick read of your thread @Rabbers the 5 month wait must have been very annoying.

Lexus insurance already mentioned that I may have to wait for parts to become available, I've not yet checked if the lights are still okay (my guess is yes) but I do wonder if I should get some tape and put it over the lens to stop water ingress while I wait.

Oddly I've had two car drivers tell me that it was a ZipCar that did the damage, one was in the queue to turn right at the lights outside my house and shouted out of an open window, the other was a mini-cab driver (who didn't want to give his name) who saw me walking down the street to get to the final scene of the acccident and pulled in for a chat.

Aaarghhh!    Condolences, Peter.

What a b*mmer!

So inconvenient, of course. but it is only metal & plastic (Lexus - ONLY!!!???) and console yourself that you are neither the driver nor any of the others in hospital.

But at least you've a CAD and the Zipcar insurance/Woodford are up to speed.

What is it about drivers in London, they seem to be having seizures all over the place? It's said to be the cause of the horrific crash at the Wimbledon school just a short while ago. It could make you cynical/suspicious that people sometimes make it up to get out of trouble.

4 hours ago, taffie999 said:

What is it about drivers in London, they seem to be having seizures all over the place? It's said to be the cause of the horrific crash at the Wimbledon school just a short while ago. It could make you cynical/suspicious that people sometimes make it up to get out of trouble.

It's all right for you lot up North 😉 !  Next you'll be suggesting it's a cunning wheeze to get out of paying the Congestion Charge ... or even ULEZ!!

Hmmm ... now there's a thought 🤔

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links