Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ridiculous satnav

I had my 07 RX 400h for 8 months.the satnav is impossible to use.ive read. the hand book several times but can't make any sense of it.

I've had satnav in my past 4 cars which were simple to use input post code then street name press go and of you go mine gets half way through the post code then won't select street name .some streets don't exist even though they are on a map and were built in 1927 

So it's absolutely ridiculous and rubbish

Rant over

John 

• Haha 1

The nav system of that age RX doesn't support full post code input. Can't remember if the latest update for that unit gives you full post code but the rest of the system isn't great by modern standards so you are better off forgetting about it and use a mobile phone in a cradle.

Get a TomTom.  
If you can pick up an older GO5200 you get lifetime updates of maps and free lifetime traffic and speed cameras with free updates for both.  The newer ones link to your smartphone for traffic and petrol prices so you need a live mobile data link as well as paying an annual fee to TT for the services after the initial free year.  It's a great Satnav and sitting on top of the dashboard it's in your eyeline rather than buried at chest level.

I had a 2006 land rover discovery the sat nav was excellent and really easy to use.

Maybe I'm just getting old .I don't use the satnav very often only twice in the last 6 months.happy to use the old-fashioned way a map 👍😁

I endorse what Michael has said about the TomTom which I find preferable to using phone or the poor LEXUS ONE. I have the slightly larger model TomTom but with the same advantages.  I did make a cradle to support mine and set it at a angle to get it nicely positioned on the dash.

image.jpeg

What's your point John?

Mine is that the older TomToms while possibly slightly behind the latest 'technology'  (which is probably not noticeable) have several advantages especially for people like me who do not use their phone very much so have PAYG contracts which means that using a phone to feed the live services is pretty expensive in addition to the need for a TT subscription.  
My GO5200 is certainly better than its predecessor and my much older Garmin "brick" in that rerouting is faster and it has the very useful live traffic and petrol prices accessed free by its own built in SIM.

In my opinion the "latest technology" is a definite downgrade.

On 8/12/2023 at 2:18 AM, Barry14UK said:

I endorse what Michael has said about the TomTom which I find preferable to using phone or the poor LEXUS ONE. I have the slightly larger model TomTom but with the same advantages.  I did make a cradle to support mine and set it at a angle to get it nicely positioned on the dash.

image.jpeg

Barry, I have the same sat nav and same car as you.

could you please give me any details of how you made and fixed your sat nav. which looks very neat

thanks a lot Nick

IMG_1205.JPG001.thumb.JPG.65df02fef7dc090ac665ca2056bde6d0.JPGHi Nick,

I probably over engineered it (but that's typical me!!)

It's a bit tight to get this in and difficult to substantially support it due to the changing contours of the dash - unlike my BMW which had an almost flat area that had previously enabled to use the fitting that comes with the GO 6200.  It also had to be raised to just clear the top of the door card whilst avoiding the window glass.  I also wanted to keep free the horizontal vent on top of the dash.

I made my first template out of stiff cardboard that I could easily cut bits off and then knocked up the cradle platform in ply essentially supported on two wooden transverse  blocks. which proved it would work.  I then made the platform in aluminium and the two transverse supports out of pieces of rectangular aluminium that I screwed to it.  I fitted an upright piece of aluminium to the platform onto which an alternative TomTom mount was fitted that the TomTom can be attached to and articulated.  Obviously, the flat transverse bars would not sit well on the dash so I shaped black Milliput 2 part epoxy putty to the contours of the dash to the two bearers, (see pic with cradle on it's side).  I also used the Milliput to close the open ends of the rectangular bearers.  The complete cradle was sprayed black and double sided heavy duty 3M tape secured the bearers to the dash making it very rigid and aligning it with the vertical air vent as seen in pic.

Alternative mount https://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-Fixed-Installation-Dock-Kit/dp/B01L8PL6E4/ref=asc_df_B01L8PL6E4/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310868534774&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1689750910042660895&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006516&hvtargid=pla-565708127435&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

The mount wired into the cars electrical system via removable dash cover at end of dash by auto electrician when he added extra sounders to turn indicators.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 7:14 AM, Jagman said:

Barry

Thank you very much for such a detailed description!

looks like I’ve got a bit of work to do !
Thanks again

Nick

There is a slight reflection problem at night and I have bought a cowl which I will  attach to the TomTom to overcome this after I have modified it.   Unfortunately, I am stuck doing building work for the time being due to builder letting me down.  So this and some other projects presently on hold.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links