Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Here we go again!

So been relatively stress free motoring as expected, had the anti theft protection plate fitted by Lexus Leeds and 4 days later......

Pedestrian crossing and a lady was walking past so Im stationery. Next thing you know a Golf is buried into my rear bumper. Thankfully the car is insured but the driver was a dodgy character. 

Seems all our cars are getting new bumpers over the past few years

IMG-20230826-WA0002.thumb.jpg.10645d8a37e83edbea4c77f0413c179a.jpg

IMG-20230826-WA0018.thumb.jpg.d2a82fa80fb28f145a379d9fdd6589ae.jpgIMG-20230826-WA0016.thumb.jpg.c36e4893a6725c4edd49d33263670d00.jpgIMG_20230826_165613.thumb.jpg.fb29421ab7253e941c6c873b2688a1c5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 15

All very annoying ☹️ Golf driver was probably on their phone.

Not that it helps, but lots of damage to Golf and minimal obvious damage to the RX.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

Maybe if you had not been there in your Lexus the Golf would not have stopped for the pedestrian either.

But bad luck and hope you get it all sorted ok.

That's true. The pedestrian, youngish lady was directly in front of me at moment of impact so I suspect she would have gone flying.

I think he was going around 40mph, did look like he was on the phone tbh as it was in his hand on exiting his car and also had a cig in his mouth

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, rayaans said:

That's true. The pedestrian, youngish lady was directly in front of me at moment of impact so I suspect she would have gone flying.

I think he was going around 40mph, did look like he was on the phone tbh as it was in his hand on exiting his car and also had a cig in his mouth

Hope you're OK, must have felt bad being thumped in the back at 40 mph. On a brighter note, how does the new protection plate look and do you get the feeling it will do the job it's intended to do?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

What an infuriating and unnecessary incident!

After the relief that you appear to have escaped unscathed, like Andrew my next thought was that it could have ended very badly for the pedestrian.

If the other driver was guilty of distraction by phone, that’s unforgivable!  The Police can check the other driver’s phone log and prosecute if it was brought to their attention.  Better still, a good rear view dashcam would provide irrefutable evidence.

I hope any necessary repairs are carried out without further drama.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JeffL said:

Hope you're OK, must have felt bad being thumped in the back at 40 mph. On a brighter note, how does the new protection plate look and do you get the feeling it will do the job it's intended to do?

TBH I didnt feel much of anything. It almost felt like the car had stalled and the associated jerk with it. Suppose at the end of the day it is basically a 2 tonne vehicle.

I didn't look at the protection plate, my car literally went around the back of Lexus Leeds and 2 hours later came back out nice and clean!

8 minutes ago, LenT said:

What an infuriating and unnecessary incident!

After the relief that you appear to have escaped unscathed, like Andrew my next thought was that it could have ended very badly for the pedestrian.

If the other driver was guilty of distraction by phone, that’s unforgivable!  The Police can check the other driver’s phone log and prosecute if it was brought to their attention.  Better still, a good rear view dashcam would provide irrefutable evidence.

I hope any necessary repairs are carried out without further drama.

Ive informed insurers LV, theyve taken everything down and confirmed the car is insured. I just need to provide them with details of the garage I am taking it to for repairs and they will co-ordinate everything

Was also offered a hire vehicle straight away which I dont need but it seemed like they were trying to push for me to take it

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Was also offered a hire vehicle straight away which I dont need but it seemed like they were trying to push for me to take it

I think this has been a contentious area for some years.  Rightly, you should be insured against being inconvenienced through the actions of another driver 

But there are many who argue that it has got out of hand and has spawned an escalation of the hire car business which in turn leads ultimately to higher insurance premiums.

However, since a hire car when appropriate IS what you are paying for in your Premiums, why not take advantage of it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LenT said:

I think this has been a contentious area for some years.  Rightly, you should be insured against being inconvenienced through the actions of another driver 

But there are many who argue that it has got out of hand and has spawned an escalation of the hire car business which in turn leads ultimately to higher insurance premiums.

However, since a hire car when appropriate IS what you are paying for in your Premiums, why not take advantage of it?

Car is drive-able so I'm just driving it until it goes for repair. It normally takes a week for repair so I might take advantage of it during that time

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Barry14UK said:

Hope other driver booked for careless driving at least.  I can empathise with you having been rear ended and then T boned within 2 years!  

Let's hope a good job is done on your car.

Nope. Unusual behaviour from him as soon as he got out of the car. Gave details and tried to get away in the golf straight away despite it not being in a condition to drive.

Was being slightly vague with address etc. Police didn't want to know when called despite suspicion of him being high and on the phone 

• Sad 4

That's tough pooh Rayaans what happened to you. I'm gobsmacked at how little damage your RX suffered. Let's hope the boot floor hasn't warped in any way. 

It's the floor in my now defunct is250 that got damaged and deemed the car a write off after hitting backwards the Z posts on the motorway at about 40 mph.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

That's tough pooh Rayaans what happened to you. I'm gobsmacked at how little damage your RX suffered. Let's hope the boot floor hasn't warped in any way. 

It's the floor in my now defunct is250 that got damaged and deemed the car a write off after hitting backwards the Z posts on the motorway at about 40 mph.

Seems OK on initial inspection. Bumper seems to have taken all of the damage to be fair. The bootlid is perfect, no damage at all on it, opens and closes fine and the boot floor is also OK. I suppose we'll only find out after initial inspection is done by the bodyshop

• 2 weeks later...

Just as an update, the RX is going into the bodyshop on 19th september for 2 weeks. They anticipate it may take less time than that but thats the worse case scenario

I will be provided with a hire care from enterprise courtesy of LV during this time. Apparently the same size / class of car so who knows what I will get.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, katabrontes said:

Two weeks seems a long time to fix a number!  I had a dent in a door pulled out and filled then the door resprayed in 3 days.

Worse case scenario most likely. It's a Lexus approved bodyshop and I suspect they think there's more damage underneath than what it looks like on the surface.

Who knows, might be back in a week

Mine is talking a bit longer as once they'd taken the tailgate off there was more damage than they thought and they had to order a new tailgate. I'm hoping to get it back this week, but I'm also getting the anti-canbus theft plate fitted and thats the main bit of the workshop rather than the body shop, so who knows.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So thought I would provide an update - everything has been very smooth so far. I called LV - they sent an email to the bodyshop for an estimate. I sent my bodyshop pictures of the vehicle and they priced it up and sent to LV. LV accepted the quote and arranged a hire care which I picked up on Monday evening. 

Bodyshop trailered the RX away on Tuesday and i've had confirmation that its coming back on Wednesday next week. 

In the meantime, I have been given a Volvo XC90 B5 mild hybrid. 

IMG_20230919_180049.thumb.jpg.2b318b23ce02f295bb12ba656c18893f.jpg

I don't like it at all apart from the practicality side of things. Its quiet, little road noise but that diesel engine sounds awful, like a goat! The suspension is odd, there's way too much lateral movement over rough roads and you can feel all that weight shifting when turning the car. 

Something else I noticed after driving an XC90 for the first time. The interior quality is unusual. Its built well but the materials below the amrest are horrid. The plastics are so thin and tinny in the door cards that the VW Golf we've bought has better quality door cards (which are also felt lined).

Odd vehicle. RX handles better than this and is more refined overall in my opinion. XC90 seems to be smoother on the motorway and larger roads but I dont know if thats because mine is an F-Sport.

On 8/27/2023 at 10:39 AM, rayaans said:

The Clampets.. Classic Hillbilly Driver..Sure it was a Cig ?

So the RX came back on Wednesday but my wife had to check it as I had quite bad vertigo (probably would chopping induced the day before)

Anyway I checked it over on Thursday and it's perfect. Couldn't even tell it'd been hit. Went over it with a LED to check for holograms and everything but it all looks bang on.

• Like 5

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links