Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is this an RX450h issue?

I test drove an RX450h today, but won't be be buying it for several reasons. The principal issue was the driver's seat. At the rear of the base of the seat there was a lump. it wasn't noticeable when feeling the seat but when seated it felt like I was sitting on half a tennis ball. It was noticeable enough to drive me nuts as an owner. I asked to sit in another RX on the forecourt and this felt the same. I'm no lightweight at around 14.5 stone but nothing excessive. The Lexus dealer was very helpful and let me sit in an F Sport, which was definitely better. As I'm comfort orientated I'm not sure if the F sport would suit me. Has anyone else come across this issue?

Never noticed anything like that in any RX I've sat in. My F-Sport is very comfortable (as was the F-Sport RC I had previously) and I've done a number of extended, non-stop drives of 4-5hrs without any discomfort.

Because I have a back injury (severe enough to get me medically retired from my job) I purposely stayed away from F-Sport models because of the sportier seats.

I'm on my 3rd RX now and never felt anything like that and I'm about 18 stone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DavidCM said:

Did you try adjusting the lumbar support?

The lumber support would push you more forward. Also try adjusting the tilt?

I did have something similar on my RX400h but adjusting the above sorted it. 

12 hours ago, VFR said:

Was it your wallet in your back pocket Taffie        😉

If it were that, paying the tax and current insurance rates of insurance on an RX would solve it I think.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, taffie999 said:

If it were that, paying the tax and current insurance rates of insurance on an RX would solve it I think.

LOL yes ain’t that a fact.    😉

21 hours ago, taffie999 said:

I test drove an RX450h today, but won't be be buying it for several reasons.

Were you looking for a 4th or 5th Gen?

No problems with the seat in my 4th Gen F Sport.

Can't remember just where it was but there were pics and detail of a member who modified his seat in a lateish RX because it was uncomfortable but wish you luck finding it on search facility.

I have a back problem but have to say the seats on my 3rd generation are the most comfortable I have experienced and I have owned and driven many cars over the years.

Out of interest, what were the other reasons you found for dismissing the 4th gen RX and what do you think beats it as a comfortable and reliable SUV?  

13 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

Can't remember just where it was but there were pics and detail of a member who modified his seat in a lateish RX because it was uncomfortable but wish you luck finding it on search facility.

I have a back problem but have to say the seats on my 3rd generation are the most comfortable I have experienced and I have owned and driven many cars over the years.

Out of interest, what were the other reasons you found for dismissing the 4th gen RX and what do you think beats it as a comfortable and reliable SUV?  

I dismissed this car because of accident damage and the seat issue. To be honest, the drive didn't blow me away and I expected it to. This car didn't have AVS, which may make a difference. I drove an RX L 450h which has AVS and it seemed to drive slightly better. I need to drive a standard RX with AVS. I'm struggling to think of another SUV that appeals to me, to be honest

• Like 1

From my experience the RX F Sport has the better seats although at the begging they might seem too stiff. I have back issues and i find the seats brilliant on my long road trips. 

Never noticed the seat problem in the previous RX Luxury spec I had however I had noticed this issue in a 2021 Takumi I sat in at the dealership. So makes me think that this issue might be only in the Premier/ Takumi models. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links