Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rubbing/Skipping From N/S Rear Wheel

Hi there, new to this so bear with me please.

I have a 2011 IS-F and iv’e owned the car for 2 years.

My car has seemed to develop a skipping or rubbing sensation from the N/S rear tire in the past month or so. I have taken it into several Lexus dealerships but they have failed to find an issue with the car. One of the dealerships told me it was the tracking but after having that done it still didn’t solve the problem.

Has anyone else had an issue like this or know how to help me resolve mine? 

I only get the rubbing/skipping on low speed manoeuvres and seems to get worse the slower I go and the more lock I put on the steering wheel. 

Any help would be massively appreciated! 

3 hours ago, FishShapedCar said:

Hi there, new to this so bear with me please.

I have a 2011 IS-F and iv’e owned the car for 2 years.

My car has seemed to develop a skipping or rubbing sensation from the N/S rear tire in the past month or so. I have taken it into several Lexus dealerships but they have failed to find an issue with the car. One of the dealerships told me it was the tracking but after having that done it still didn’t solve the problem.

Has anyone else had an issue like this or know how to help me resolve mine? 

I only get the rubbing/skipping on low speed manoeuvres and seems to get worse the slower I go and the more lock I put on the steering wheel. 

Any help would be massively appreciated! 

Could possibly be as a result of the LSD at the rear? Didn’t the facelift cars get the LSD (possibly as an option)?  If so, you may get this slow speed dragging.

Could it have always been like that any you’re just noticing now?

3 minutes ago, Jgtcracer said:

Could possibly be as a result of the LSD at the rear?

Maybe, but why did this not happen on the first year and half of ownership? Everything was so smooth a few months ago 🤔. How would I diagnose a faulty diff? Are there any symptoms I can look for? 

Have you had the diff oil changed recently.

2008/2009 Require LT type oil 
2010 + Require LX type oil (for Torsen diff)

If the wrong oil is in, it can create that stick/slip sensation you are saying.

Worth checking!

• Like 4

If your tyres are sound and a good premium brand, I too would look to the diff.

First thing to do which is relatively cheap vs any other potential problem is new oil.

The wrong type could have been used (as mentioned) and or it hasn't been changed in a while.

Speak to Opie Oils if you want to get something really decent put in there.

They supplied me with uprated oil for my old IS200 gearbox and that oil change alone cured juddering at low speed!

• Like 1

My RCF had its major service in June at a Lexus dealer, Im pretty sure this involved the diff oil being changed & since then I have noticed the same thing as in this post. When pulling out of a parking space or something like that the left rear skips & skids, havent noticed any noises or anything during general driving. I thought maybe it was a characteristic of the LSD & id just not noticed before or maybe that as we got into summer i had the windows down a lot more & could hear it 

Would Lexus put the wrong oil in the diff? Like is the diff oil used in the RCF the same oil that goes in the other RC models?

Anything can happen including mistakes or human intervention. It's worth a shot having the diff fluid changed and making sure the correct one is used.

Last time my ISF went in for a service at the local dealership, the service department couldn't even tell me what had been done to my car. In my view Standards are slipping at certain dealerships and when they want £150 an hour labour charge, a certain level of care and attention is expected and should be achieved.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, G10RRE said:

Have you had the diff oil changed recently.

2008/2009 Require LT type oil 
2010 + Require LX type oil (for Torsen diff)

If the wrong oil is in, it can create that stick/slip sensation you are saying.

Worth checking!

I did get a major service from a main dealer not too long before this started happening tbf. 
Thats well Interesting though, I didn’t realise the wrong oil in the diff could do that. I will call Lexus tomorrow and try find out what oil they put in, if they put any in at all. 

Thank you for your help, I’ll update this post when i find out more 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BillNick said:

If your tyres are sound and a good premium brand, I too would look to the diff.

First thing to do which is relatively cheap vs any other potential problem is new oil.

The wrong type could have been used (as mentioned) and or it hasn't been changed in a while.

Speak to Opie Oils if you want to get something really decent put in there.

They supplied me with uprated oil for my old IS200 gearbox and that oil change alone cured juddering at low speed!

Oo ok, so it might not even be type of oil but more the fact it hasn’t been done for a while. I will call Lexus tomorrow and check what exactly was serviced. 

Oh yeah? I really didn’t think lack of oil change on the diff would create this kind of feeling. After hearing this tho I’m hopeful it’s just the diff oil change it needs. 

Will deffo have a look on Opie Oils. My next move will defiantly be to put some quality oil in there and hope for the best. 

Cheers for your help, really appreciate it 👌

Could be the tyres "crabbing" which when I first experienced it I thought it was coming from the rear, but it actually comes from the front tyres. Exactly like you described though, happens on low speed manoeuvres near full lock, usually in colder weather. Feels a bit like something seizing up causing the tyres to skip. Can be quite jarring and makes you think something's wrong with the car. Crabbing is usually associated with wide performance tyres and run flats due to their stiffness.

If you've had your ISF for 2 years I'm surprised it's only just started happening though. It was a bit cooler last month, but hardly winter temps. Had new tyres recently?

IMO, if the problem has crept in after owning the car for so long, it is due to wear and could be various things. The LSD on our cars is Torsen, so to my knowledge, you can pour an appropriate weight oil in there and it will be fine, as Torsen diffs don't require any LSD specific oil, it simply isn't how they work. 

FWIW, old school clutch diffs and even more so welded diffs are massively obvious when moving around slowly on an even surface, they aren't something you would miss for a while. It sounds like you might have an issue back there. Lots of options if you do.

15 hours ago, Rob RCF said:

Could be the tyres "crabbing" which when I first experienced it I thought it was coming from the rear, but it actually comes from the front tyres. Exactly like you described though, happens on low speed manoeuvres near full lock, usually in colder weather. Feels a bit like something seizing up causing the tyres to skip. Can be quite jarring and makes you think something's wrong with the car. Crabbing is usually associated with wide performance tyres and run flats due to their stiffness.

If you've had your ISF for 2 years I'm surprised it's only just started happening though. It was a bit cooler last month, but hardly winter temps. Had new tyres recently?

I noticed the same thing, mostly in winter when the tyres were cold and especially on a cold wet surface. It also depended on the road surface type. Block brick driveways etc. The tyres (sort of ) skip a bit, like a little slip or sideways motion. It is normal I believe.

Tyres are Michelin pilot 4 sports.

• 1 month later...

@FishShapedCar Did you ever get to the bottom of this? 

I have the same on my 2010 ISF with LSD. I changed the rear diff oil to Fuchs as recommended by Opie Oils, fine for 4-5 months and now started doing it. 

I thought it might be handbrake/rear callipers sticking but they’ve all been checked and ok. 

I might swap out the diff oil to genuine Lexus and see if that changes things. 

I’ve also noticed it does it more after a long drive, like something’s heating up/expanding and causing it. Is yours the same?

As previously mentioned, 'crabbing' is usually more often associated with front wheels when fair amount of steering lock is applied.  It can be a combination of degree of lock, type of tyre, temperature, speed and road surface.  Not sure what the present situation is but there was a class action against Mercedes Benz for this on certain models.   (pages on it if you search google.)  MB were offering alternative tyres.  It was more prevalent on certain right hand drive models than LHD models being put down largely due to a different differential with RHD models.  It also caused premature tyre wear.  There are videos where a camera actually shows the skipping or crabbing and the noise it makes. 

Not sure how much of this is relevant to your car but at least shows this can happen. 

3 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

As previously mentioned, 'crabbing' is usually more often associated with front wheels when fair amount of steering lock is applied.  It can be a combination of degree of lock, type of tyre, temperature, speed and road surface.  Not sure what the present situation is but there was a class action against Mercedes Benz for this on certain models.   (pages on it if you search google.)  MB were offering alternative tyres.  It was more prevalent on certain right hand drive models than LHD models being put down largely due to a different differential with RHD models.  It also caused premature tyre wear.  There are videos where a camera actually shows the skipping or crabbing and the noise it makes. 

Not sure how much of this is relevant to your car but at least shows this can happen. 

Yeah I’ve had this on a previous M140i which was when the front wheels would “push” and skip, which was cured with an alignment. 

This problem is like the whole rear axle is skipping or juddering until you straighten up and then it’s fine again. Does it when pulling away with more than 50% steering lock. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links