Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What's the best way to get a good deal on a new car?

Mincey

PCP is out because my annual mileage is an unknown, but is going for Finance and getting all the sweeteners then paying it off immediately the best way? Or is saying that you'll do Finance and getting the sweeteners and once the moment comes say you'll pay cash the best bet? I've got CarWow offers ready too. I'm useless at haggling and would appreciate some info on what's the best way to get what I want for the least outlay! Many thanks in advance (I did think about creating a new account to pose this question in case anyone from any of the local dealerships is reading...)

Going for finance then pulling out at the last minute doesn't work. The extra contribution comes from the Finance Company, so the dealer is not going to suddenly offer you that amount extra out of their margin.

I bought mine through CarWow, took the finance, and paid it off within the first month.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

"What's the best way to get a good deal on a new car?"

Buy a used one of course !

Hope that isn't too subtle.

Or nearly new... 

I honestly can't find any reason to ever buy new car as an individual, where you basically throw away 30% of cost right away. Sure if that is on company and there are tax initiatives and potential write-off from the profit and corporate tax then that works out well and often it can only be done on new car, so then choice becomes. Should I buy used car with same saving, or should I buy new car and get same amount back in taxes. And new it is then. But for individual, just picking-up say 2 years old car with barely any miles and picking-up 30% discount is a way to go.

Even if I had unlimited amount of money I would probably buy used cars... I guess I am just too cheap.

• Like 2

a new ES300H for 50K or a 2019 one with 29000 miles only full warranty at dealer for 25K.

Overhere we have a saying 'you might as well throw your money in the river at least you can see it floating away" 

• Like 1

Not strictly 'a new car', but a Demo model. Way back I found the car model I wanted which was a BMW 5 series Tourer (yes, I know, beg for no snow). Anyway, no way I want new with the depreciation, but it happened the car design had an upcoming change on it's way. Hence, the dealership wanted their Demonstrator gone. 6 months old, 4k on the clock (hardly run in), blemish free. Got that at a price which mitigated the first two years depreciation. Probably , the best price value deal I have ever had. Kept it 10 years with hardly a thing to report.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Mincey said:

Absolutely nothing! She's just coming up for three years old and I think she needs a rest. 

Lexus cars are renowned for their capacity to endure heavy use over many years.

What have you two been up to?  🤭

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LenT said:

Lexus cars are renowned for their capacity to endure heavy use over many years.

What have you two been up to?  🤭

I couldn't possibly say - the authorities would definitely be interested.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Linas.P said:

But for individual, just picking-up say 2 years old car with barely any miles and picking-up 30% discount is a way to go.

That was exactly the situation when I bought my Lexus as a two-year old.  (For the sake of clarity, it was the car that was two years old.)

But that was because it was probably the last IS250 to be brought into the the UK.  There was no new car option.  

My previous two cars were bought new, however.  The first was a new model Honda Prelude, followed by a new model Accord.  I did test drive a couple of one/two year old Accords, but there were always some little odd disappointments - the colour combination, missing accessories, scratches and scuffs - that demanded a compromise in return for a saving.

My answer to the initial value drop is that I tend to keep my cars for many years - unlike some I can name! 😊

So after about, say, five years, the resale value will cover the initial loss anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LenT said:

there were always some little odd disappointments - the colour combination, missing accessories, scratches and scuffs - that demanded a compromise in return for a saving.

I know the feeling, although Lexus is slightly better in this aspect as they don't have many option in UK. It is for example real headache to buy used BMW, because they have millions of options and it seems you can never find the right combination and there is always something that you will miss not fitted. Yet with Lexus you can usually find the car that is basically perfect spec. or at least completely fully loaded.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 5:18 PM, Boomer54 said:

"What's the best way to get a good deal on a new car?"

Buy a used one of course !

Hope that isn't too subtle.

I bought my car with 9,000 miles on the clock at a few years old and saved £25-30k on the new price…

Financed through my bank online to be by far the most competitive, mileage isn’t the end of the world if you plan on keeping the car too.  

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links