Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New car delivered with wrong spec.

9 hours ago, Chris to her said:

Exactly the same happened to me. Ordered Black and Cream, and got Black. Like you I accepted it; I wasn't about to wait another year. Maybe there was a shortage of cream leather.... along with keys and locknuts.

Sorry to hear about that. Did Lexus deal with the problem well? Was your dealer aware of the problem or did you discover the wrong interior when you opened the door (as I did).

You would think that the car would be checked at Derby and at the dealer to ensure that the spec. is correct.

As you say, starting the waiting process again is probably a step too far 🙈

Personally I would reject the car, what's the point of offering different interior trim options if you can't have the one you ordered.

Can you live with the black or will it bug you every time you open the door?

• Like 1

The black is dead classy although I get why you might not like it - it  does dark the interior. By coincidence, my neighbour’s UX arrived last Friday with the wrong colour interior.   Is it clumsiness at the dealer?

56 minutes ago, Don C said:

Is it clumsiness at the dealer?

The dealer knows full well what was ordered and what was delivered. Unless there is some sort of explanation then they are simply hoping the customer has forgotten what they ordered!

• Like 1

I'm very sorry to hear about that, @Scotlex. After my own sixteen month wait and the poor experience over that time, I would have been furious. In that situation I'd have asked for my deposit back and walked away. I wouldn't have personally asked for a loan car, accepted 'freebies' e.t.c. I wouldn't have given them that benefit. Obviously, if I had a good experience up until that point or had been dealing with that particular dealer for many years with no real issues - I would have listened to what they had to offer first. 

With cars I've ordered from scratch, I've always had that fear something, somewhere would be wrong. Fortunately those fears have so far been unfounded and with regards to this latest order for my NX, it's quite literally the only thing during the whole ordering/waiting process that's actually gone right. With that said, technically, my own NX isn't quite right from what I ordered - but that's simply down to the ridiculous wait I had. When I ordered mine, they were selling MY22 cars (perhaps early MY23?). By the time they finally decided to build my car, they were very comfortably into MY24 - meaning mine has the tan/beige glovebox lid which, if I have to be honest, even a fortnight on I'm still not entirely sure about. I think I preferred the earlier cars which were just black and matched the dashboard. 

@NemesisUK - It wouldn't actually surprise me if some dealers were hoping some specifics their long-waiting customers had ordered were forgotten about - just to get them out of the door and off the waiting list. For instance, about a month before I collected mine I had to check my own paperwork as I genuinely couldn't remember if I went for the sunroof or the panoramic roof. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

The dealer knows full well what was ordered and what was delivered. Unless there is some sort of explanation then they are simply hoping the customer has forgotten what they ordered!

This has certainly crossed my mind - car arrives with the wrong interior and they just hope I don't notice or complain.

You would certainly think that someone checks the cars as they arrive at the dealer.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2023 at 2:07 PM, NemesisUK said:

They know but do they check?   It would be easy to assume it must be correct not even considering “junk in, junk out”.  I doubt anyone at the dealer or Lexus would intentionally do it in the case of say a certain colour was unobtainable so it’s an error somewhere and my money is on the dealer.

On 9/15/2023 at 10:00 PM, Scotlex said:

After waiting for a year, my new NX was delivered with the wrong interior.  I ordered white but was given black.

I sold my own car yesterday (privately) so have taken the wrong spec. car.

Has anyone had any similar experiences with Lexus?

Thanks.

Thinking of the other buyer, wheresoever, whomsoever,  who also has a “ wrong car “ 

The one designated for you …… shame no one could track him/her down to make the desired swap ….. did Lexus even try that possibility one wonders  

You haven’t just got the wrong car, the wrong car’s got you 

And likewise your “proper car “ has been delivered to the now wrong owner 

Wot a debacle ….. TWO messed up orders ….. TWO disappointed owners 

The new car you have was certainly bespoke made to someone’s Order …… someone somewhere ……. surely ! 

Malc 

19 hours ago, Gary H said:

I'm very sorry to hear about that, @Scotlex. After my own sixteen month wait and the poor experience over that time, I would have been furious. In that situation I'd have asked for my deposit back and walked away. I wouldn't have personally asked for a loan car, accepted 'freebies' e.t.c. I wouldn't have given them that benefit. Obviously, if I had a good experience up until that point or had been dealing with that particular dealer for many years with no real issues - I would have listened to what they had to offer first. 

With cars I've ordered from scratch, I've always had that fear something, somewhere would be wrong. Fortunately those fears have so far been unfounded and with regards to this latest order for my NX, it's quite literally the only thing during the whole ordering/waiting process that's actually gone right. With that said, technically, my own NX isn't quite right from what I ordered - but that's simply down to the ridiculous wait I had. When I ordered mine, they were selling MY22 cars (perhaps early MY23?). By the time they finally decided to build my car, they were very comfortably into MY24 - meaning mine has the tan/beige glovebox lid which, if I have to be honest, even a fortnight on I'm still not entirely sure about. I think I preferred the earlier cars which were just black and matched the dashboard. 

@NemesisUK - It wouldn't actually surprise me if some dealers were hoping some specifics their long-waiting customers had ordered were forgotten about - just to get them out of the door and off the waiting list. For instance, about a month before I collected mine I had to check my own paperwork as I genuinely couldn't remember if I went for the sunroof or the panoramic roof. 

I wouldn’t be in a rush to walk away.  For a start, the long wait isn’t their fault, they want to be in a position where they have a selection of cars in the country again but while we think Covid has gone, it still runs wild and shuts suppliers down in some Pacific Rim countries and there is still a global shortage of chips and other semiconductors.  My strategy in the same position is and will be (mine is in the country and I expect to get it on the 7th Oct - my choice) if it comes with a different colour interior will be to sit in it and see if it is as bad as I was thinking, try to get to the bottom of what happened (to see who my complaint is with - 99% sure it’s the dealer) and then see what they say.  You’ve got to be aware of what is on offer and there’s no way I’d wait for some JLR, German or Swedish junk just to punish Lexus.  They’ll have a list of owners willing to accept a cancelled order as long as your arm so the only person to come off badly is you.  Black wouldn’t be my first choice but it looks dead classy in this one;

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Thinking of the other buyer, wheresoever, whomsoever,  who also has a “ wrong car “ 

The one designated for you …… shame no one could track him/her down to make the desired swap ….. did Lexus even try that possibility one wonders  

The new car you have was certainly bespoke made to someone’s Order …… someone somewhere ……. surely ! 

Malc 

Unless the dealer ordered it wrong.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Malc 

I hadn't actually thought about that.

3 hours ago, steve2006 said:

How times don’t change; back in 1909 Henry Ford famously declared that “a customer can have a car painted any colour he wants as long as it's black”.

I actually like black. My last 3 cars have been black.

They look great but difficult to keep clean.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Malc 

Oh gawld, I’ve got a black interior being delivered soon, what are the chances it’s turned cream….

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hookyman said:

Oh gawld, I’ve got a black interior being delivered soon, what are the chances it’s turned cream….

Shouldn't laugh 😅

Probably quite unlikely.

Unless your car is also Sonic Titanium 🙈

Been awhile since I bought new. However, last times there has always been a very detailed sales sheet showing all specified choices signed by them and me at the time of ordering so forgetting what was ordered has never been remotely possible. Do Lexus not do this?

9 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

Been awhile since I bought new. However, last times there has always been a very detailed sales sheet showing all specified choices signed by them and me at the time of ordering so forgetting what was ordered has never been remotely possible. Do Lexus not do this?

To be honest, compared with some other manufacturers, Lexus does not have a huge list of options.

I think currently there are only 3 options for my interior - white, black or red.

The colour, trim and options are clearly shown on the order form (which was obviously signed a year ago). 

22 hours ago, steve2006 said:

How times don’t change; back in 1909 Henry Ford famously declared that “a customer can have a car painted any colour he wants as long as it's black”.

Ford was rather inclined to rewrite history.  After all, he also declared that ‘It was all bunk!’

When the Model T was launched in 1908, you could get it in, for example, Fire Engine Red and Hunter Green.  There were also years when it was only available in red, blue, green and grey - all to simplify the production line.  

The black Ford referred to was a new fast drying paint he was experimenting with.

As it happens, the 15th million Model T had green bodywork.

This is how one biographer explains it:

The black-only policy began in 1914, and primarily because it was also the year Ford fired up his new moving assembly line. The new line reduced the time to build each car from more than 12 hours, to just 90 minutes. Black paint was the cheapest, and using a single shade meant the line didn’t have to stop while workers cleaned the equipment to change the paint colors. Black remained the sole choice until 1926, when some models were offered in green, maroon, or gray, all with black fenders

So what’s up with that famous phrase? Thanks to his car’s success, Ford soon became as big a celebrity as any sports or silent-movie star, and the press faithfully printed pretty much anything that came out of his mouth. But it seems no historian has ever found a verified newspaper story that recorded the catchy phrase.

Instead, it appears in Henry Ford’s co-written autobiography, “My Life and Work,” published in 1922. He describes a meeting in 1909 with his company’s salespeople, who wanted him to add even more models. Instead, he announced he would build only one, “and I remarked: ‘Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black.’”

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Was a bit of a genius for mass production. Ford, for example, dictated to suppliers what type and size the crates that they delivered supplies should be. The wooden crates were then broken down and used for floorboards in the model T. Sorry, got a bit of topic here, if it’s any consolation I’d have accepted the car as well, but pushed the dealer for a discount and some free services. 

• Like 5

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links