Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New car delivered with wrong spec.

After waiting for a year, my new NX was delivered with the wrong interior.  I ordered white but was given black.

I sold my own car yesterday (privately) so have taken the wrong spec. car.

Has anyone had any similar experiences with Lexus?

Thanks.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Scotlex said:

After waiting for a year, my new NX was delivered with the wrong interior.  I ordered white but was given black.

How very infuriating and disappointing.  I can see that it puts you in a very invidious position, Alistair.

Do you reject the car on the basis that Lexus is in Breach of Contract, or do their Terms of Business reserve the right to change the model specifications without notice.  They may claim that Lexus reserves the right to change the specification and it doesn’t alter the material performance.

If you reject the car how long will you have to wait for one that’s correctly specc’d?  And can you get a free loan car from Lexus because you sold your existing car solely in the reasonable expectation that Lexus would deliver what you had paid for?

Have you actually registered this error with the Dealer?  If so, what was their response?  Did they mess up the Order or are they also victims to a lesser extent?  Depending on those answers - and how strongly you feel about it - you might want to consult a Solicitor before taking further action.

It may be that the Dealer will offer a refund as compensation, or are there extras that you might accept, such as a SpaceSaver wheel, top of the range dashcam, and such like?  

At least you now have the car and can settle down to enjoy it.  You may find that will compensate for a lot of disappointment.  😊

• Like 1

On the bright side you will enjoy not seeing the dirty marks that are almost inevitable with the paler linings, mine had the technicians palm print after they replaced an alarm sensor. 

My UX has a black liner and I think it gives a cozy feel to the interior.

I'm surprised the dealer hasn't offered any consolations. Free first service would have been my starting point.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LenT said:

How very infuriating and disappointing.  I can see that it puts you in a very invidious position, Alistair.

Do you reject the car on the basis that Lexus is in Breach of Contract, or do their Terms of Business reserve the right to change the model specifications without notice.  They may claim that Lexus reserves the right to change the specification and it doesn’t alter the material performance.

If you reject the car how long will you have to wait for one that’s correctly specc’d?  And can you get a free loan car from Lexus because you sold your existing car solely in the reasonable expectation that Lexus would deliver what you had paid for?

Have you actually registered this error with the Dealer?  If so, what was their response?  Did they mess up the Order or are they also victims to a lesser extent?  Depending on those answers - and how strongly you feel about it - you might want to consult a Solicitor before taking further action.

It may be that the Dealer will offer a refund as compensation, or are there extras that you might accept, such as a SpaceSaver wheel, top of the range dashcam, and such like?  

At least you now have the car and can settle down to enjoy it.  You may find that will compensate for a lot of disappointment.  😊

Thanks for your reply. I hadn't even thought that somewhere in the "small print" it allows them to change the spec. but you are probably correct.

I spent nearly 4 hours at the dealer. A loan car was NOT available. They could possibly get the correct car for February next year.

I might ask about a space saver wheel.

Hopefully I eventually enjoy it  😀

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Scotlex said:

Thanks for your reply. I hadn't even thought that somewhere in the "small print" it allows them to change the spec. but you are probably correct.

I spent nearly 4 hours at the dealer. A loan car was NOT available. They could possibly get the correct car for February next year.

Still disappointing as you could probably have bought a used one at some point. When you buy a NEW car you pay a premium to get what you want.

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, Scotlex said:

I think you'll find there's no space for any spare wheel unfortunately 😕

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hayzee said:

I think you'll find there's no space for any spare wheel unfortunately 😕

I do miss a spare wheel - but hopefully won't need it 🙈🙈

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lmafudd said:

On the bright side you will enjoy not seeing the dirty marks that are almost inevitable with the paler linings, mine had the technicians palm print after they replaced an alarm sensor. 

I'm surprised the dealer hasn't offered any consolations. Free first service would have been my starting point.

Very true. My last car had a light interior and I was quite careful not to mark it.

I have had "technician oily marks" on a couple of cars which is very annoying - especially with an expensive car.

28 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Still disappointing as you could probably have bought a used one at some point. When you buy a NEW car you pay a premium to get what you want.

That is my main point. You can buy a pre registered car (with a good discount) that has spec. or colours that wouldn't be your first choice.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Scotlex said:

I do miss a spare wheel - but hopefully won't need it 🙈🙈

What, no space for even a SpaceSaver?

Presumably you’ve been supplied with the injectable glob - or maybe fitted with the so-called Run Flats?

29 minutes ago, LenT said:

What, no space for even a SpaceSaver?

Presumably you’ve been supplied with the injectable glob - or maybe fitted with the so-called Run Flats?

No provision whatsoever....I have a spacesaver which I carried in my previous RAV4 PHEV (would fit my NX too) but I had to remove the plastic liner and adapt the space to get it in there. With the 450+ there is no way of fitting it in so I would have to carry it in the main luggage area which is a definite no no.

You're right about me only having that injectable glob which is rarely much use. My car doesn't have runflats.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Scotlex said:

This car was destined for you you Alister So It Isnt exactly what you Wanted !!!! I personally Like the black interior And think as already said a light interior shows up all sorts of marks ..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

This car was destined for you you Alister So It Isnt exactly what you Wanted !!!! I personally Like the black interior And think as already said a light interior shows up all sorts of marks ..

Very true. Thanks 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

BUT, that isn't HIS choice. He made a choice, he paid a premium to get it. Each to theirown ,but I am a stickler for terms of contract. If it was me I would be reading exactly where there is a caveat in the small print giving them the right to vary. If it was not there then they would be getting me the car I chose and paid for. Moreover they would be furnishing me with a courtesy car until they did so. No discussion on those terms. I have never broken a contract in my life  and I don't have much tolerance for letting others do so. On the plus side everybody knows exactly where they stand.

• Like 5

Personally I'd be rejecting the car. If I ordered something and was given something different, unless it was an upgrade, I'd be pretty angry. If I accepted any compensation I'd still be left with a nagging feeling that I haven't got what I wanted.

Car and trim colours are a personal thing, and buying new allows one to pick precisely what they like. I like a light interior, it makes the car feel more spacious and less cramped, and to me it feels more luxurious.  My last 3 cars have had light interiors and have never been a problem to keep clean. A once year application of a protectant and any marks just wipe off with a damp cloth.

I get that some people prefer black, but I doubt many would be happy, or accept it, if they ordered one and were delivered white.

• Like 6

Are we talking about just the headliner here or the whole interior (i.e. the seats and door panels; etc)? 

If it's the former then I might be inclined to let it slide - especially with the offer of some compensation (financial or by other means) from Lexus. If it's the latter then I would definitely be very dissatisfied and would be exploring my options around rejecting the car and getting Lexus to source one in the correct specification pronto. 

[BTW, I'm assuming that it's just the headliner as I'm not aware that you can spec the NX with white seats; etc.]

20 hours ago, Scotlex said:

Has anyone had any similar experiences with Lexus?

Thanks.

If you reject the car as not being of the required specification it becomes a used vehicle and therefore the Dealer is likely to take a hit when reselling it. It might be worth pointing that out to him as a starting point for compensation.

At the end of the day you have paid a lot of money to get the exact specification you require. I would also advise contacting Lexus UK. Best of luck

4 hours ago, Andy B said:

Are we talking about just the headliner here or the whole interior (i.e. the seats and door panels; etc)? 

If just the headliner I'd be tempted to see if Lexus could swap out the black and replace with white.

1 hour ago, MarcG said:

If you reject the car as not being of the required specification it becomes a used vehicle and therefore the Dealer is likely to take a hit when reselling it. It might be worth pointing that out to him as a starting point for compensation.

At the end of the day you have paid a lot of money to get the exact specification you require. I would also advise contacting Lexus UK. Best of luck

Thanks

5 hours ago, Andy B said:

If it's the former then I might be inclined to let it slide - especially with the offer of some compensation (financial or by other means) from Lexus. If it's the latter then I would definitely be very dissatisfied and would be exploring my options around rejecting the car and getting Lexus to source one in the correct specification pronto. 

[BTW, I'm assuming that it's just the headliner as I'm not aware that you can spec the NX with white seats; etc.]

Unfortunately it is the whole interior (the seats, door panels and glove box cover etc.)

As far as I am aware you can spec the NX with red, white or black.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Scotlex said:

Unfortunately it is the whole interior (the seats, door panels and glove box cover etc.)

Ah, so you mean the "Black and Rich Cream" interior spec? (Which I have in my NX by the way).

If so, and you have all black instead, I would personally be rejecting the car. Whether you feel the same way I guess depends on a number of factors, such as how much you really want your original, chosen, interior and how long you might have to wait for a replacement car to become available. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Scotlex said:

Or tan 😉 

IMG_6490.jpeg

• Like 2

On 9/16/2023 at 6:42 AM, Lmafudd said:

I disagree with this.  I always choose a light interior because it is easy to keep clean.  You can see the dirt forming and get it clean where black can get quite filthy and you just sit in it.   I do agree with free services but I’d go for the first three.  

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links