Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Take a look at this!!

Localhero

2 hours ago, Localhero said:

Got to say Stew, you just sold something way better than that 😉

On the plus side if your missus ever decides to go all Lizzie Borden on you in that car it's going to be well camouflaged. I wouldn't suggest ever getting up to drive that thing after having had a few the night before. It would be enough to get anyone shouting for 'Hughie'.

I think a better plan for you is try to outlive Nico's love for his and then snatch it at the crucial let go point. 

2 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

Got to say Stew, you just sole something way better than that 😉

On the plus side if your missus ever decides to go all Lizzie Borden on you in that car it's going to be well camouflaged. I wouldn't suggest ever getting up to drive that thing after having had a few the night before. It would be enough to get anyone shouting for 'Hughie'.

I think a better plan for you is try to outlive Nico's love for his and then snatch it at the crucial let go point. 

Of course you should remember I am a sneaky barsteward and I might just be bidding whilst talking you out of it.

• Haha 1

No I wouldn't want it but, if you look at the photos the underside is as clean as the top, if you wanted to do what Nico has done one in that condition would make a far better platform than any car that's been on our roads for 20yrs, remember that program, car sos  they spent more time cutting and welding cars before restoration began and what they achieved in supposedly 2 weeks actually took hundreds of man hours and limitless TV 💰 🤑 Stew

• Like 1

I don't think any are truly,even people who have gone to rustbusters or had them dinitrol treated, there was an Irish guy on the old site who cleaned and sanded all the underside and applied countless chemicals to the chassis  and wheel arches etc, that's the best I have seen, Glyn jennings with the mileage  his car has done I would  think it is close to being as good as it gets 🤞

5 hours ago, Localhero said:

I don't think any are truly,even people who have gone to rustbusters or had them dinitrol treated, there was an Irish guy on the old site who cleaned and sanded all the underside and applied countless chemicals to the chassis  and wheel arches etc, that's the best I have seen, Glyn jennings with the mileage  his car has done I would  think it is close to being as good as it gets 🤞

Heres what mine looks like.

IMG_2937.thumb.jpeg.93a8853ff585b39d8c1d25823f4e9554.jpegIMG_3105.thumb.jpeg.3d184f74954b46babfd6f5de9f634e6d.jpegIMG_3106.thumb.jpeg.4ef7ce0d7354a26ff1d9fd03d60a58c1.jpegIMG_3107.thumb.jpeg.b148befe2aa9bfb30ae1d114775e53ac.jpeg

IMG_3103.jpeg

IMG_3108.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Thanks Glynn. I have little experience telling what is good from bad on undercarriage, other than the obvious where something is obviously rusted to the gills.

Now I have something to compare to as mine goes for a vehicle healthcheck on Tuesday and they have promised to let me have shots whilst it is up on the ramp. I wanted that ,because I know it's been previously treated, but with winter not that far way this would be the time to redo it if it requires it. Sort of thing I would like to do myself, but I just don't have the equipment to safely elevate it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Localhero said:

That is very clean has it been treated?

It’s not been treated but when I bought the car with only 7400 miles on the clock obviously it had spent most of it’s 17 years in a garage protected from the elements. Unfortunately I don’t have a useable garage so it has spent the last two years outside, although mostly under a car cover. In those two years I have done 2300 miles which still isn’t a lot.

• Like 1

So, The vehicle healthcheck was carried out at Lexus Preston yesterday, free of charge no less, Quel surprise !

Are they good mechanics, I do not know, but they have b...y good coffee !

Seriously, apologies up front for any who get bored trawling through this lot, but I do have 20 photographs taken of the bits we don't usually get to see. As a self confessed novice just trying to learn I am inviting comments from those with much more experience.

In a general sense, how does the overall look of that undercarriage strike you. When I saw they described it as having 'vast amounts of surface rust' I had a deja vue moment post Angiogram when the consultant looked down and  said '95% occluded , I recommend a Quintuple bypass' ...colour me sh..g a brick. Then I look at these pics and am I wrong ,but I just don't get that description ?

Bit of moisture down there, and they did say there are leaks from steering rack and engine, the latter unknown. Fair enough, but I looked at my driveway where it has been stood and there is not so much as one drop showing on the cobbles so what to do?

Some corroding of a rear brake pipe. Think that is shown. No big deal methinks.

Signs of tyre rub on 2 arches ? Guess that is perhaps do with Coilovers?

Anyway, all comments welcomed and appreciated.

Finally, they did say it is the 'cleanest' SC 430 they have seen 😃

Charging point.jpg

Front Undr bumper section.jpg

Underbody 1.jpg

Underbody 2.jpg

Underbody 3.jpg

Underbody 4.jpg

Underbody 5.jpg

Underbody 6.jpg

Underbody 7.jpg

Underbody 8.jpg

Underbody 9.jpg

Underbody 10.jpg

Underbody 12.jpg

Underbody 13.jpg

Underbody 14.jpg

Underbody 15.jpg

Underbody 16.jpg

Underbody 17.jpg

Underbody 19.jpg

Underbody 20.jpg

Underbody18.jpg

Undrbody 11.jpg

36 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

when are you going to turn her upside down and eat your dinner off it ?🙃

Malc

So, do you think it's a good 'un Malc ? Seriously , I really have no idea. If it's below the steering wheel I have always paid someone to look for me. Oh, that sounds bad doesn't it !

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nigel Coleman said:

Looks fine to me after 17 years of use.

Thanks Nigel.

Essentially what I am trying to do is get collective wisdom to make up for my individual knowledge deficit in guiding me towards good decision making regarding the car. If I am sure this is a structurally sound vehicle likely to remain that way in the years ahead then I would like to make use of my time and money and pursue a goal of making this a truly fine example of the SC 430. Obviously there is no real point to that if the structure of the car does not warrant it.

Stephen, she's only 17/18 years young and the " rust " looks to be non-existent  ......  a little oil dripping so it spreads far and wide over the structure can be a blessing too ......... giving it a little added protection ............ 

just pray that with all the care and work ( money too )  and tlc going into these cars that you're not going to fall foul of some dimwit on the road who can't drive properly ............ 

Malc

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Stephen, she's only 17/18 years young and the " rust " looks to be non-existent  ......  a little oil dripping so it spreads far and wide over the structure can be a blessing too ......... giving it a little added protection ............ 

just pray that with all the care and work ( money too )  and tlc going into these cars that you're not going to fall foul of some dimwit on the road who can't drive properly ............ 

Malc

Oh ,it isn't for 'driving'. It's just a really beautiful driveway ornament. 😉

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

park her away from a possible roof tile dropping then !

Malc

Confucious he say 'park on gable end no roof meet roof'

That's a thought can you 'rufie' a car ? God, that's disgusting.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

Just getting back on topic do we think this looks like it could benefit from further undersealing before winter sets in?

not really  ..  I'm of the thought that possible undersealing helps to " seal in " all the crap and damp

Malc

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

not really  ..  I'm of the thought that possible undersealing helps to " seal in " all the crap and damp

Malc

Ma😉lc, are you the CEO of the Laissez-Faire club?

• Haha 1

I agree with Malc that the underside of the car generally looks in good shape. Is the oil possibly from previous filter changes where oil has ran down the engine? 

The only thing that I might address would be the brake pipe. Just check it's solid end then use a little piece of sandpaper to clean it up. You can use Hammerite black spray paint or something similar to protect it. I would do the same with the flexible brake hose at the ferrule (where the brake pipe and hose meet). 

Otherwise, looks good! 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links