Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can Techstream disable lane assist?

Mincey

I've looked through Carista and can't see a setting to turn lane assist off by default (I managed this in Betsy, clearly some interfering busy body in the EU has decreed that's impossible now). If I were to splash out one of those Techstream things on amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=techstream+lexus&crid=9J1LUXN6GKOB&sprefix=techstream%2Caps%2C98&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_3_10) could that do it? I don't want to end up with a faded Lane Assist button on Tiff's steering wheel!

It drives me up the wall also. My dealer says there is no way to disable it by default. I have even asked a couple of the mechanics on the QT, but again no way. The only time l use it is to enable the lane steering in radar cruise control. My wife never turns it off and says it doesn't bother her in the slightest.

• Like 1

I don't think you can turn it off now it is a legal requirement for new cars to have this feature which was an EU legislation that came into force in July 2022. As the ES was facelifted at this time it would need to comply with these new requirements as part of the homologation process.

You can turn off the features on each drive, but the vehicle must reenable them on every start.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

I don't think you can turn it off now it is a legal requirement for new cars to have this feature which was an EU legislation that came into force in July 2022. As the ES was facelifted at this time it would need to comply with these new requirements as part of the homologation process.

You can turn off the features on each drive, but the vehicle must reenable them on every start.

Exactly the experience my wife has with her Honda hybrid. Basically she has to physically disable it each drive, but can only do so after she has driven a few hundred yards. Quite simple in practice but having driven her car, I was shocked at how aggressive this feature is. If you were not aware, you'd swear some phantom sitting next to you had wrenched the steering wheel out of your hand!

A ridiculous EU driven safety feature that in my mind and experience is downright dangerous.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stevetg said:

And I thought we had left the EU and had taken back control! I must have dreamed it.

Would it make any difference if we didn't require this? The vehicle manufacturers are unlikely to implement software specifically for the UK unless they are forced to, and we wouldn't pass a law banning it's use, so we would just end up with the European functionality anyway.

What you want for road safety is not a car that’ll panic brake at loose Tesco bags and force you back onto the motorway you just left. Our Honda does this and it’s downright dangerous. Previously had a VW and the close rear end shaves (fnarr) we had with that slamming the brakes on by itself were terrifying. Seeing a van sliding towards you in your mirrors with all four wheels locked up while your car is still deciding if it’s safe to get going again is not a safety system I want to use again.
The lane keep and panic braking should be switchable, and stay where you left it, simple as that. For safety.

I've noticed that Tiff is very much more cautious/nervous than Betsy was. I've had the "Brake!" warning come on more times in the month we've been together than in the whole two years that Betsy and I were an item.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links